Author Topic: Rear torpedo section VII / 3D model / 1/72  (Read 31582 times)

TopherVIIC

Re: Rear torpedo section VII / 3D model /
« Reply #60 on: 05 May , 2012, 09:40 »
Marke -
This is collectively looking good Sir!
An observation I have is that I believe the diameter of the tanks you have rendered in blue is too small - the chord produced by the tank and the pressure hull should be almost like a 90 degree section facing inboard. You have the curve of the tanks smaller so they seem to curve back downward towards the pressure hull.
If you keep them in the same place more or less, but make larger diameter I think you are in business...
Christopher

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #61 on: 05 May , 2012, 10:37 »
You get quite a few cylinders into the compartment, may be you should introduce a few pipes and flanges on the Junker compressor as indicated on the picture otherwise it `s just another cylinder, and fit in the steeringgearmotor and emergency steering wheel and rods as well. Christophers remarks seems to be well founded.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #62 on: 05 May , 2012, 11:39 »
hmm, i could increase the diameter, but only to the cost of narrowing the floor between the two tanks. due to the torpedo tube im afraid that i could increase it only by 1 mm, so that would not help much :(

however, i will do some more details to the junkers compressor, especially some flanges and those fuel inlets and pumps, do you have perhaps more close up photo of those fuel pump and fuel injector piping?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #63 on: 05 May , 2012, 12:10 »
I am posting a picture showing the Junker compressor at the testbed. The air intakefilter is as you see sligthly different. Otherwise I guess the other components are OK
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #64 on: 05 May , 2012, 12:14 »
Sorry my markings were not included so I mail another copy
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #65 on: 05 May , 2012, 12:28 »
hm, after studying the picture, i think it could be doable to incorporate small detail with fuel injector pump and crankbox, the rest could be don only by scratch building on assembly. Will post result as soon as i make it

result, again simplified a lot, to assure solid print-out:

however, there will be other side exposed, where the cut-out is, so if you have perhaps a photo of the other side of the compressor too?
« Last Edit: 05 May , 2012, 12:41 by Marko »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #66 on: 06 May , 2012, 06:05 »
THAT is looking good!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #67 on: 06 May , 2012, 06:42 »
thank you Rokket

after looking the actual photos that tore provided, and some more of the museum in Laboe that i manage to snatch off the internet i created the famous emergency steering mechanism:

and here is one render image, all-in-one that has been created till now.

i still have to hollow out the pressure hull extension to save material.

And i think that we are getting slowly to the point when i will have to call it done, since i don't want it get over packed with items, since those could easily cover whole interior up :)
one thing that i noticed that is missing is the torpedo loading hatch, which could come in handy, since on assembly i could show torpedo loading sequence not only on the front section, but also on the rear. Has anyone perhaps some photos that show the procedure on the rear torpedo loading? (cradle, crane, or was there only a series of pulleys attached to the conning tower?
« Last Edit: 06 May , 2012, 06:50 by Marko »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #68 on: 06 May , 2012, 08:39 »
Marko
Sometime I guess you have to stop putting stuff in and I agree, you have the essentials, I would probably have put more in f.i steeringgear motor and drive. At your 90 degrees bend on the emergency steering rod is actually a pivot so you could stow away the wheel towaerds the pressurehull.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #69 on: 06 May , 2012, 11:51 »
im not sure if i understand you, could you please mark it on this render picture? should it be pivoted more towards the pressure hull? Oh, and if you have perhaps a photo of ceiling, i would be grateful, since i have to put something in there, now its so empty :)

oh, and can you please help me on torpedo loading hatches? Far as i know, VII/C had one spare torpedo container on top, and one regular access hatch to load the torpedoes to interior, my questions is, on this picture it is shown torpedo loading hatch, or loading to the spare torpedo container on top? right behind this access panel is another one, but a little bit shorter. I hope that model owner will not be angry with me:
« Last Edit: 06 May , 2012, 12:04 by Marko »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #70 on: 06 May , 2012, 13:26 »
Marko
Here are two pictures showing the emergencysteering. Of course the emergencysteering was very seldom used and one of the pictures show even the steeringwheel was stowed away by clamping it to the E compressor.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #71 on: 06 May , 2012, 23:26 »
Marko
Sometimes you think you remember details for sure and later you realize may be it was a bit different. In a hurry I indicated the steeringrod bearing as a pivot, that`s wrong. The hingebolt is sligthly further up towards the pressurehull as indicated on the picture below, it`s simply a lid with a hole and a screwbolt with nut. On your drawing I think you shouldn`t worry too much about  these details ,( it could be my memory is failing). Copy what you see on the photos rather than assumptions which migth be wrong.
Tore
« Last Edit: 06 May , 2012, 23:30 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #72 on: 06 May , 2012, 23:54 »
Marko
Torpedodetails is not my table, I think Maciek is the rigth guy. We did away with the external torpedo pressurecontainers. Your are rigth it was a conventional torpedo loading hatch in the fwd part of the e-room, starting just above the bulkhead between the engineroom and e-room. On top of the picture of the emergencysteering you`ll see some of the gear used for the loading , I think pretty much the same as for the forward torpedohacth. The model you are showing seems to me as could be storing a torpedo in the external container rather than loading into the sub, but again I`m only assuming.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #73 on: 07 May , 2012, 00:32 »
Aha, thanks for pointing that out, well i pulled my bunch of drawings out again, and examined spare torpedo containers and loading hatches, and indeed as you said, rear torpedo hatch starts at the forward part of E-room, the component i have linked in the picture was rear torpedo container (again, you were right on that), so the panel in front of that one is actual loading compartment. I have rear spare torpedo container in resin from cmk, so i will use that one and will make loading hatch as a piece of E-room set.

I think i will also make forward spare torpedo container opened, but i think i will buy second CMK set for that and use it with Photoetched deck from modelbrass., or perhaps even scratchbuild it using plastic tube and PE deck (would save some euros)

will post results as soon as i make the hole into the pressure hull for the hatch :)

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #74 on: 07 May , 2012, 02:20 »
Hi Simon

Here a nice close-up view of U-766 drive shaft  ;)

Where did you find this cool picture?

--
Regards
Maciek