Author Topic: Modelbrass problem  (Read 13437 times)

Gregor

Modelbrass problem
« on: 09 Jan , 2011, 11:33 »
Hello!

I am new to this forum!

I come from Slovenia (Ljubljana) and I started to build U-Boot 995.

Right at the beginning I already have a problem! A month ago I ordered Modelbrass Revell Type VII 1:72 Brass Upgrade Kits parts and I still have not received! I ordered 9/12/2010 ???
Therefore I appeal to you if you can help me! How long do you wait for the shipment?

Thank's Gregor

Offline Pat

• Captain
Re: Modelbrass problem
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jan , 2011, 13:55 »
Since I build most of my aftermarket parts from scratch, I can't tell you how long to expect the wait from ModelBrass, but as it's been the Christmas Holiday season in the time since you've ordered and they might have been very busy, I'd reccommend patience.

You might try contacting them directly if it takes much longer.  Most times I've ordered things internationally, I expect about 6-8 weeks for delivery.  Not all of it is their fault as your own country's customs can often delay release of packages for a week or two.  Small personal shipments aren't a high priority for them.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jan , 2011, 14:10 »
Good point Pat, there could also be a delay due the must of the major airports being closed before the Xmas period.

Also welcome aboard.

TRM

« Reply #3 on: 09 Jan , 2011, 14:49 »
Welcome Gregor!  Looking forward to seeing you build.  You definately came to the right spot!

As for the Modelbrass....(my experience only)

Expect a lengthy shipping time from Modelbrass.  They are located in the US as well as I and it took approximately 5 weeks to get my delivery.  I could assume from what Pat mentioned, about 6 to 8 weeks is correct if not a little longer.  You can try to contact them, however I tried and received no response.  My order still arrived a week and a half later just the same.  It is a nice product, worth the wait.  Try and be patient I guess.  Wish I could be help.

Regards,

T

Gregor

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan , 2011, 11:58 »
Thanks guys for a great reception and thank you for quick answers!

I have the privilege to speak with you all! Thanks again!

I'm patient! And I tried to contact but failed! :-\

Gregor

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan , 2011, 12:11 »
Hi Gregor, welcome!

Don`t worry - my modelbrass set took a long till it arrived me, too. But it did arrive me.  ;)

And as TRM already posted, it is worth waiting for.

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan , 2011, 02:19 »
Hello Gregor,

Welcome aboard !

...I'm patient!...
Gregor

This helps a lot with some -high quality aftermarkets- dealer ;)

Cheers,
Pepper-M
On the W.bench :
Books, pics, drawings, styrene, dreams and :

Gregor

« Reply #7 on: 01 Feb , 2011, 14:44 »
Still nothing from Modelbrass!  ???  Is beginning to worry me.....

Gregor

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #8 on: 03 Feb , 2011, 03:34 »
I wouldn't get too worried yet, still semi early days...how did your last contact fail? Maybe we can try something...
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Gregor

« Reply #9 on: 03 Feb , 2011, 05:04 »
I wouldn't get too worried yet, still semi early days...how did your last contact fail? Maybe we can try something...

Soon it will be two months! Last contact by mail and this has been rejected mail address .... That is all I've managed to achieve!

What can we try?

I ordered through AMP GERMAN FLAG and entangled a week ago and that from Australia as you well know! Thanks

Therefore, it is not clear to me why such a long time? Do not know where the problem!

Gregor

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: 04 Feb , 2011, 04:12 »
I don't know if we'll have any luck, but I have emailed with a query about your order.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: 04 Feb , 2011, 04:16 »
got a bounce back almost instantly. It doesn't necessarily mean the worst, but....I will see what other avenues we can pursue

Gregor

« Reply #12 on: 04 Feb , 2011, 04:37 »
Thank you for your efforts! I respect you because you want to help! Thanks again!

Even too me is immediately returned mail as the recipient does not recognize!

Gregor

sedgar2

« Reply #13 on: 05 Feb , 2011, 06:40 »
I also tried to purchase the PE from ModelBrass, going so far as to sent payment via papal. I called a few days later and spoke to Jay. Jay refunded my payment and said it would be some time before he had any more. I wonder if there is another source for the PE that has the bow and stern lower flood grates?

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar , 2011, 13:20 »
I went onto their site and ordered the PE set too and after they had taken my money, I got a message saying that it would be June before they had any sets ready, then Im gonna have to put up with delivery delays after that. >:( I am not sure if anyone else does the sets , but according to Glenn Cauley, who knows a hell of a lot more than me about it, Modelbrass are the only ones who make a kit with the lower hull flood holes . Its a real shame cos they are fiddly little f :o s!

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar , 2011, 13:47 »
Hi guys,

We're working on a set for the 72nd VIIC and VIIC/41 kits, and also for the 144th kits too. Included for both scales will be a full PE deck, plus the bow and lower stern vents. We're started designing the deck. No deck schematics can be relied upon so we're designing using primarily period photos. This will take some time but we'll get there at some point.   

We intend offering brass in two thicknesses, just like we did with our Type II set. This will allow us to replicate the anti-slip bumps on the metal hatches.

I can't say when this will be available, probably not in the next few months but at some point this year.

Cheers,

Dougie
Accurate Model Parts

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar , 2011, 21:40 »
Hi guys,

We're working on a set for the 72nd VIIC and VIIC/41 kits, and also for the 144th kits too. Included for both scales will be a full PE deck, plus the bow and lower stern vents. We're started designing the deck. No deck schematics can be relied upon so we're designing using primarily period photos. This will take some time but we'll get there at some point.   

We intend offering brass in two thicknesses, just like we did with our Type II set. This will allow us to replicate the anti-slip bumps on the metal hatches.

I can't say when this will be available, probably not in the next few months but at some point this year.

Cheers,

Dougie
Accurate Model Parts

Dougie, do you want to have a look at my stern deck plate drawing. I could post a PDF of it, if you want to have a look?

Simon

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar , 2011, 13:12 »
Hi Simon,

Sure, I'll happily take you up on that. I did a stern drawing a while back but haven't checked it over. It would be excellent to refer to your stern drawing.

Thanks,

Dougie

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar , 2011, 14:26 »
Here the PDF, Dougie. There are seven layers to the drawing. Hope this helps.
http://www.mediafire.com/?vbme06gvd7bq9g2
Simon

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: 16 Mar , 2011, 14:34 »
Hi Simon,

Many thanks for your drawing. Looks really good, to your usual high standards. The best photo I've seen is on page 4 of U-Boats Under The Swastika by Jak mallmann Showell. Do you have this photo? If not then shoot me a PM and I'll send it to you.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #20 on: 19 Mar , 2011, 13:08 »
Thanks, Dougie. You have PM.

bracco_n

« Reply #21 on: 19 Mar , 2011, 14:54 »
Dougie I was just thinking: could the KM flag be made for 1/144th scale? I'd really like to have it on my U94

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: 20 Mar , 2011, 07:10 »
Hi Nicolas,

Wink and I were talking about this yesterday. Sorry but the flag in 144th scale is just a little too small for us.

Cheers,

Dougie

sedgar2

« Reply #23 on: 27 Mar , 2011, 10:09 »
I also tried to buy the brass kit from Modelbrass. Jay refunded the payola payment and said he would look into seeing what he could do. I sort of pestered him and after a time he came up with some wrongly pressed 'mirror image' sets that his supplier mistakenly stamped out. He sold me one of these sets very reasonably and for the flood grates front and rear it makes no difference. Hopefully he has a few more. Good luck......Steve

ohms931

« Reply #24 on: 04 Apr , 2012, 04:52 »
Hi,
I too have had the same problem with this company however I dont share the same opinion as "detailed after market parts are worth the wait" type of nonsense.

I live in Thailand and therefore I have to order everything including models except Tamiya. I have waited as little as 3 days for an order from UK but never more than 1-2 weeks depending on if the supplier get his finger out or not. To have to wait this long for anything unless it is being shipped ocean freight is quite simply a con. Remember for those that paid by PayPal you only have a certain amount of time in which to make your claim. Im very sure the supplier is very aware of this as I have emailed, called and now but still no reply. I have escalated this to a claim now.

Like a few people on here I have been made to go out of my way to persue this and chase this person down to get my money back, not very good business sense to me!

Therefore Dougie/Wink I'd be more than happy to put my project on hold until such time you have produced the parts. I would suggest other people to support people like Dougie & Wink and boycott unscrupulous suppliers like the guy from Modelbrass

I hope this isnt seen as a rant more of just some shared information

Dougie/Wink keep us posted on how the parts are progressing

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #25 on: 04 Apr , 2012, 06:36 »
Hi,
I too have had the same problem with this company however I dont share the same opinion as "detailed after market parts are worth the wait" type of nonsense.

I live in Thailand and therefore I have to order everything including models except Tamiya. I have waited as little as 3 days for an order from UK but never more than 1-2 weeks depending on if the supplier get his finger out or not. To have to wait this long for anything unless it is being shipped ocean freight is quite simply a con. Remember for those that paid by PayPal you only have a certain amount of time in which to make your claim. Im very sure the supplier is very aware of this as I have emailed, called and now but still no reply. I have escalated this to a claim now.

Like a few people on here I have been made to go out of my way to persue this and chase this person down to get my money back, not very good business sense to me!

Therefore Dougie/Wink I'd be more than happy to put my project on hold until such time you have produced the parts. I would suggest other people to support people like Dougie & Wink and boycott unscrupulous suppliers like the guy from Modelbrass

I hope this isnt seen as a rant more of just some shared information

Dougie/Wink keep us posted on how the parts are progressing
Modelbrass problems
I believe this firm is a one man business and the person isn`t always avaiable on the modelbrass address. I was adviced to contact the person Jay Overhulser directly on: jay@rdgendecals.com and did so  November 1. 2011 asking for deliverytime. I got a prompt reply delivery stated 14 days.
Ordered the parts same day and on Nov 8th. got the message: parts will be despatched Nov 11th.   I got the parts in my mailbox   (Oslo, Norway) November 14th.2011
Tore
« Last Edit: 04 Apr , 2012, 06:40 by tore »

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #26 on: 04 Apr , 2012, 06:48 »
Not to cause a riff with anyone or support one over another. I know from experiance that some companies do take longer than others. I believe that we see a companies web site and think there will be prompt service. We expect this and most places provide this. But there are companies that are ran by one person. Some of these people also hold other jobs and they have to split there time. All I'm saying is give people some slack, order early, and try to establish a line of communication with the company so if there is a delay they'll let you know.

I have not (knock on wood) had any problems with this company.

ohms931

« Reply #27 on: 04 Apr , 2012, 21:53 »
Gentlemen
All I can say is that your patience is commendable but as I said earlier there is a finite amount of time in order to place a claim through paypal In my opinion waiting after that is just blind faith which is not an option.

As I said previous I have done everything to contact the seller, phone email and now PP dispute and i have heard nothing as of yet, which no matter what your reasoning is not acceptable in this day and age. If indeed he had been bothered to contact me back and had informed me of a delay then, of course that would have been completely acceptable.

I am however interested in the email address

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #28 on: 04 Apr , 2012, 23:04 »
ohms
Sorry the correct e-mail address is: jay@3rdgendecals.com somehow the 3 dropped out. Hope you get in contact, the PE set is a must for the floodholes.
Tore
« Last Edit: 04 Apr , 2012, 23:13 by tore »

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: 28 Jan , 2013, 09:21 »
Sigh.
I'm US based.
Wish i had read this a week ago before i purchased from Modelbrass.

Problem is. it's not just a matter of wanting the PE ,, i actually blew out all the lower vents on one side behind the front hydro plane. so i actually needed the kit.
Guess i'll give him a couple more weeks.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb , 2013, 20:39 by OldNoob »

BalEee

« Reply #30 on: 03 Feb , 2013, 17:54 »
Sigh.
I.m US based.
No responds to email.
Problem is. it's not just a matter of wanting the PE ,, i actually blew out all the lower vents on one side behind the front hydro plane. so i actually needed the kit.

Hi

I am new to this forum, but I'm planning to build a VIIC/41 and I've collected some aftermarket kits, except for the Modellbrass PE set. I have ordered it 4 weeks ago and nothing happened, didn't even respond to my emails, until today:
 "My manufacturer says they will be complete Monday or Tuesday. I apologize for the delay. I should be shipping all items next week."
So I guess we'll finally get our kits.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #31 on: 03 Feb , 2013, 18:11 »
Sigh.
I.m US based.
No responds to email.

Hi

I am new to this forum, but I'm planning to build a VIIC/41 and I've collected some aftermarket kits, except for the Modellbrass PE set. I have ordered it 4 weeks ago and nothing happened, didn't even respond to my emails, until today:
 "My manufacturer says they will be complete Monday or Tuesday. I apologize for the delay. I should be shipping all items next week."
So I guess we'll finally get our kits.

Welcome aboard BalEee

You can found useful information and drawings on the Type VIIC/41 at http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=106.0 and http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=854.0

Also feel free to ask any questions, I am sure someone here will be able to help.

Simon

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #32 on: 04 Feb , 2013, 00:06 »
BalEee.
I join Simon in his welcome to you. Don`t worry about the Modelbrass he is slow but reliable. We are going into tiny details on the VIIC/41 in my "mailbox" and Simon makes unbelievable drawings, feel free to put forward any questions on the VIIC there are many people able to help you.
Tore

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: 07 Feb , 2013, 08:16 »
Just an update, Jay did respond and said he was waiting for the next batch.

TopherVIIC

« Reply #34 on: 07 Feb , 2013, 08:57 »
Since we are on the Modelbrass question... I am questioning purely based on a desire to know facts. How accurate are the flood vents, and what were they based on? I am not meaning this as a slight in any way... just asking where the references were taken from... Christopher

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: 07 Feb , 2013, 09:01 »
Hello Christopher,

The rear floods were based upon U 995.

As for the front floods, these were based upon period photos that I (and maybe others) sent him. The pattern on the front floods is fine but they aren't sized quite right. The Revell holes extend too far up the hull, though it isn't that obvious and can only be appreciated when looking very closely at photos of the real boats.

Cheers,

Dougie

TopherVIIC

« Reply #36 on: 07 Feb , 2013, 09:09 »
I appreciate that input Dougie... like I said... I did not mean any slight to people's real research. I noticed discrepancies based on my observations... We know the poor U-995 has been altered beyond historical reference use for too many things. I hope she was not used for measurements and placement of those chin vents...
It is clear the Revell molds are not right for that neck of the woods... I salute people's builds that use the Modelbrass PE...

« Last Edit: 07 Feb , 2013, 09:19 by TopherVIIC »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #37 on: 07 Feb , 2013, 15:04 »
Christopher.
It is not easy to have accurate flood gate pattern. one of the peculiarities is the 2-3 floodgates on the VIICs. Originally there are 3 on the port side and 2 on the starboard. In my time the U 995 had this pattern see bad photo below. Howewer some time before 1972 somebody did not like this asymmetric lay out and made 3 on the starboard side as well. Today they have probably welded plates without floodgates all over.
Tore

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: 15 Feb , 2013, 12:08 »
UPDATE:   I just received my PE set from Modelbrass.
It came very well packaged between two pieces of plywood.
Very nicely detailed
I had to pause for a few minutes and think about the different modeling enthusiast that contributed time and energy to the research, planning, design and production of this product.
To them i say Thank You.

This will be my first experience using Photo etched parts.
I am a bit nervous about making the pieces adhere properly.

Rokkets and company's, plans for a plastic kit sounds very much to be a great idea.
It would seem that adhesion would be much simpler with styrene or plastic.
I'm surprised it hasn't been put into production  yet.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb , 2013, 13:39 by OldNoob »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #39 on: 15 Feb , 2013, 14:34 »
OldNoob.
I understand your worries over brass parts joining plastic, I had it my shelf. However I was pleasantly surprised how easy it works. Just be careful to bend it properly, particularly the aft pieces, make a good fit prior to fixing it.
Tore