Author Topic: U-352 build log  (Read 33453 times)

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
Re: U-352 build log
« Reply #90 on: 07 Aug , 2014, 07:38 »
I Literally know nothing about submarines. But , i have learned that  , IT'S NOT TEAK!  ::)   Seriously where in the world did i get the idea that the armor slats were teak? :o ;D
« Last Edit: 07 Aug , 2014, 10:14 by OldNoob »

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #91 on: 08 Aug , 2014, 11:23 »
Hi Oldnoob

Oops, let me try that again.

Schatton Modellbau 7241 Periscope and air intake for Revell U-boat

Regards
Jon
wonder what shipping would be?

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #92 on: 08 Aug , 2014, 12:32 »
Got impatient. Stole periscope form the IX kit. :P Guess i'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #93 on: 09 Aug , 2014, 07:04 »
I Literally know nothing about submarines. But , i have learned that  , IT'S NOT TEAK!  ::)   Seriously where in the world did i get the idea that the armor slats were teak? :o ;D

The slats actually were wood, not teak but probably a cheaper wood with the black preservative like the deck.  These were to keep the crew from sticking to the metal casing in freezing temperatures.

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #94 on: 09 Aug , 2014, 10:17 »

The slats actually were wood, not teak but probably a cheaper wood with the black preservative like the deck.  These were to keep the crew from sticking to the metal casing in freezing temperatures.

Im sooo confused. LOL
so they should be black?

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #95 on: 09 Aug , 2014, 10:43 »
I'm in uncharted waters. I don't know what i'm doing.
« Last Edit: 09 Aug , 2014, 14:15 by OldNoob »

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #96 on: 09 Aug , 2014, 14:38 »

Im sooo confused. LOL
so they should be black?

Whatever color you are painting the deck. I have seen these painted the same color as the seat aroung the wintergarten too which is usually brown.

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #97 on: 09 Aug , 2014, 18:54 »
 :) Hi!
The deck on most U-Booten was a cheap pine. Painted with a black preservative.  My Father a U-Boot Veteran,  has said it was sticky after it was first applied.  As time went on the colour changed to dark gray and as wear and tear went to showing some of the pine in well traveled areas,  Hope that gives you some ideas for weathering. The Trum deck was the same and the wood planks on the sides of the Trum as well. Regards,
Dan

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #98 on: 12 Aug , 2014, 17:09 »
:) Hi!
The deck on most U-Booten was a cheap pine. Painted with a black preservative.  My Father a U-Boot Veteran,  has said it was sticky after it was first applied.  As time went on the colour changed to dark gray and as wear and tear went to showing some of the pine in well traveled areas,  Hope that gives you some ideas for weathering. The Trum deck was the same and the wood planks on the sides of the Trum as well. Regards,
Dan
Thank You Dan! very helpful indeed!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #99 on: 02 Sep , 2014, 02:33 »
LOVELY rust, just right!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #100 on: 02 Sep , 2014, 15:25 »

Your work looks great so far, keep up the good effort!  For what its worth, in May 1992 I spent a day as a guest of the Point Loma submarine base in San Diego.  Among the other guests were several DKM veterans, including Heinz Dressel who severed on U-595 and was captured by allied forces.   Herr Dressel was very pleasant and willing to talk for hours about his time on U-boats during WWII.  One of the many questions I asked him about was the wood used on the deck on U-595.  He was certain it was teak and said at the time he was surprised that Germany was using such a valuable and hard to obtain material during wartime.  Anyway, that is what he said about the deck - I don't have any way to confirm his statement.   Part of our visit to Point Loma included a guided tour of an Los Angeles Class SSN (USS Dallas or USS Houston - I can't remember) - Heinz had everyone laughing with his comparisons of a modern nuclear sub to a wartime Type VIIC!  He really had the crew going a few times!

Cheers,

Bill
« Last Edit: 03 Sep , 2014, 08:26 by Mr. Bill »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #101 on: 10 Sep , 2014, 01:48 »
What a great experience Bill, thanks for sharing. Which I was there!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #102 on: 29 Sep , 2015, 20:58 »
Does anyone know of a brass or photo-etched railing kit for this model?
I did a search but could not find anything specific
Could try making them myself but i really really suck at getting the dimensions correct and at soldering brass.

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #103 on: 29 Sep , 2015, 23:33 »
Hi OldNoob,

here are two hyperlinks to "Shapeways" (3D printing service). This printing service was mentioned in another thread here.

Plastic:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/GSVNY5SJW/u-boot-wintergarten-1-72?li=productGroup&optionId=56258206

and brass version:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/WZ5CJHLY8/wintergarten-1-72-brass-version?li=more-from-shop&optionId=56258207

Regards
falo

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #104 on: 30 Sep , 2015, 03:48 »
Hi OldNoob,

here are two hyperlinks to "Shapeways" (3D printing service). This printing service was mentioned in another thread here.

Plastic:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/GSVNY5SJW/u-boot-wintergarten-1-72?li=productGroup&optionId=56258206

and brass version:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/WZ5CJHLY8/wintergarten-1-72-brass-version?li=more-from-shop&optionId=56258207

Regards
falo
30 dollars is not bad for brass.