Author Topic: U-9 Type IIB finally finished!...  (Read 22726 times)

Mr.Mox

Re: New to this group, and Type IIB almost finished...
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jun , 2009, 05:02 »
Great work on the painting and weathering - you have created a very unique submarine!

Damn, you are tempting me to do U18 :D

Cheers/Jan

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #16 on: 12 Jun , 2009, 18:53 »
Yes, that last shot especially, VERY impressive weathering, very real
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

bracco_n

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul , 2009, 17:02 »
I don't want to sound perfeccionist but, is there photo evidence of U-9 using that Turm configuration? In fact, I've never seen a type II with that Turm. Please teach me on this subject (I know nothing about type IIs)
By the way, great model and even better paintjob!

kagero43

« Reply #18 on: 01 Aug , 2009, 09:13 »
Hello Bracco_n:

I had this same question until I came across one single photo of U-9 with the 2cm Flak Tower in Rossler's excellent bible on the Type II. The photo is clearly U-9 as per the conning tower Iron-Cross in 1944. I would think that the conversion was done sometime in mid to late 1943 as photos of her in May 43 do not show this modification. Other boats of 30th flotilla also were converted in the same manner as photos show for U-18, U-20, and U-24 in his book as well. The photo of U-9 in this configuration is on page 62 of Eberhard Rossler's book. Hope this helps. Cheers - Harvey Low

PS - I just finished the model this morning and will psot pics shortly.

kagero43

« Reply #19 on: 01 Aug , 2009, 09:27 »
Finally finshed my U-9 Type IIB this morning. I hope you enjoy the model as much as I have enjoyed building it, and viewing the excellent models of other builders on this site.

P.S. - Dougie, your detail set looks simply SPECTACULAR and I sure could have used it to build mine! At least I benefited from the AMP draft marking decals! Well, another Type IIA project would be a possiblity now!  ;D    - Harvey Low

« Last Edit: 01 Aug , 2009, 09:30 by kagero43 »

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: U-9 Type IIB finally finished!...
« Reply #20 on: 01 Aug , 2009, 13:23 »
Hi Harvey,

Thanks for your kind comments, much appreciated. Very nice conversion job you have done. The multicoloured slime along the waterline is exceptional. The rest of the weathering is also great, with the paint peeling and general stains nicley done. I like the fact you have been moderate with the rusting. Painting on rust streaks and rust staining is fun, and it is so easy to overdo it.

If you have time could you tell us how you weathered your boat? A mini-article on the subject would help us all, I think.

Cheers,

Dougie

Mr.Mox

« Reply #21 on: 01 Aug , 2009, 14:44 »
A very busy and beautiful IIB  - congratulations on a splendid job - and I can only second Dougies wish for a feature on your excellent paint job!

Cheers/Jan

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #22 on: 01 Aug , 2009, 14:52 »
Beautiful....  Coming or leaving port. Old tires hanging from wintergarten and those bollards...  Superb! How did you make the iron cross on the ct?

Anakin

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #23 on: 02 Aug , 2009, 06:47 »
Lovely to look at
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: 02 Aug , 2009, 10:19 »
This is really a beautiful model, especially the weathering and finish.  As Dougie mentioned, it would be most appreciated if you could share some tips on your technique.  My weathering skills are less than spectacular and I would certainly benefit from your experience.

Mr. Bill

Offline Johann Vilthomsen

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 04 Aug , 2009, 03:45 »
 :o :o WONDERFUL, AWESOME....

BRAVO!!!!!!

kagero43

« Reply #26 on: 18 Aug , 2009, 13:55 »
Hi everyone: Sorry but I have been off a few days, and want to thank everyone for all the comments! FYI - there will be a substantial article in a major modelling magazine next year on this model. In the meantime, here's a very brief synopsis of how I weathered it.

To begin with, I like to keep weathering subtle using the "less is best" rule. Using as many pics as I could find, take note of paint-flaking, water marks, scuffing, bleaching, and rust. Note that rust should be kept to an absolute minimum. After painting the base colours, I used a technique called
« Last Edit: 18 Aug , 2009, 13:59 by kagero43 »

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #27 on: 18 Aug , 2009, 14:32 »
Spot on. ;)

Offline Division 6

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 18 Aug , 2009, 15:18 »
Impressive.
like all the others have said great job on the weathering.

When it's released let us know what magazine.

Eric...

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: 19 Aug , 2009, 13:42 »
Hi Harvey,

Thanks for letting us know of your weathering techniques, very useful. You must let us know when the article comes out. Looking forward to reading it.

Cheers,

Dougie