Author Topic: My revel type ix u-boat  (Read 24783 times)

Senormodeler

Re: My revel type ix u-boat
« Reply #45 on: 01 Aug , 2014, 15:45 »
Thanks for the comments, Jon and oldnoob!

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: 02 Aug , 2014, 02:00 »
Hi Senormodeler,

great painting job! IMO it looks very realistic. Did you use the salt- or hairspray-technic to wheather the hull? The shown effects rings a bell ...

Regards
Falo

Senormodeler

« Reply #47 on: 02 Aug , 2014, 23:28 »
Hey Falo,
I did not do any salt or hairspray work. I did so some paint fading by diluting some white oil paint in lighter fluid and then I splattered that onto the hull. The lighter fluid dries very quickly which leaves irregular shapes of white. Besides that I just used washes and filters made from oil paints and mineral spirits.

Make sense?
S

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: 03 Aug , 2014, 01:37 »
Hi Senormodeler,

It makes sense because it looks so good!

Regards
falo

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 03 Aug , 2014, 07:23 »
It does look spectacular!  I have really been enjoying this build, keep up the good work.
Regards,
Brian

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #50 on: 03 Aug , 2014, 09:50 »
Hi Senormodeller, i was on holiday and couldn't see the pictures with an adequate definition: the weatherng effect you achieved is simply stunning. I agree with all the positive comments done by the others and i am looking forward to seeing the model completed!
Cheers!
SG

Senormodeler

« Reply #51 on: 03 Aug , 2014, 15:10 »
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm liking how it's turning out. It's my first attempt at weathering really. Just trying things out that I've read about online.

Senormodeler

« Reply #52 on: 06 Aug , 2014, 18:20 »
Currently I'm trying to add a little bit of a scum line along the water line. This would be a little bit of algea build up where the antifouling paint has been the most worn away. The first two photos were taken after I applied the blue-green algae. I think I may have overdone it. So I pulled it back with some AK Interactive Streaking effects for winter vehicles (third picture). I may need to do more of this to bring it back further. But it seems to be adding a good effect.

Feedback welcome.

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #53 on: 09 Aug , 2014, 18:44 »
 :) Hello!
The third attempt looks great!  I would hold back on the rust below the water line.  With a vessel under way, not too much of a chance for rust to form unless it is sitting still for a lengh of time. Some rust may be present sure but not the same as the upper Hull and Trum. Super work!
Regards,
Dan 

Senormodeler

« Reply #54 on: 09 Aug , 2014, 23:35 »
Thanks, Dan. That's very helpful and makes total sense. I was adding some rust to the lower hull but just not streaking it downward. But I think I'll pull that back a little and definitely won't go any further.

Senormodeler

« Reply #55 on: 01 Sep , 2014, 22:36 »
Time for an update.

Lately I've just been adding layer upon layer of weathering to the hull with Gamblin artist oils. I don't know where the finish line is but I feel like i'm getting close. I've been doing some sponge chipping as well.  Here are a few pics:

As I'm looking at these photos, I'm realizing that you can't really see all the detail I'm putting into it. They kind of look the same as the last group of photos i posted. Oh well.

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #56 on: 02 Sep , 2014, 14:21 »
Hi Senormodeler,

details in photos is a funny thing, even though you may not be able to see it the photo wouldn't be the same without it, plus you know it's there, like the models with the pressure hulls, in practice you barely need to put anything inside the hull after cutting the vents and drains out.

Regards
Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #57 on: 03 Sep , 2014, 13:37 »
Very nice indeed!
If you are looking for a really good example of weathering, waterline algae buildup, etc.  do a search on "Harvey Low IIB"   
There is a thread here on AMP:  http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=192.0
That boat was featured in FineScale Modeler, and I even competed against him at contests.   I believe the article explains how he achieved his weathering effects.
Harvey is an excellent modeller, and a super-nice guy.   
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Senormodeler

« Reply #58 on: 06 Sep , 2014, 07:50 »
Thanks!
And thanks, Glenn for the link. That u-boat build is amazing. I fear I may have overdone the rust, but it's one of my first builds after getting back into the hobby. I've since sprayed on a matte coat and it has blended in the rust tones a lot.

That algae is amazing!! I'll definitely pick up the may 2010 back issue and take a look. Still a chance I can improve the weathering on my build.

Thanks

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #59 on: 10 Sep , 2014, 01:50 »
Looks gorgeous
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz