Author Topic: U-9 Type IIB finally finished!...  (Read 22724 times)

kagero43

U-9 Type IIB finally finished!...
« on: 18 May , 2009, 05:55 »
Hello everyone. My name is Harvey Low and I am new to this forum. I am working on a Type IIB - modified from the SN Type IIA. The boat I am doing is U-9 with flak tower as she appeared in the Black Sea Ops agaisnt the Soviets in 1943. It is about 3/4 done, with painting and weathering well underway. I am hoping to post progress pics soon (I am placing an order for decals and flags from AMP as a last detail). I have found the work here simply inspiring. Dougie, I found your article on U-boat colours most most helpful - thanks!  ;D This forum is a wonderful resoruce with a wealth of knowledge. I wish I had this when I started the project!
« Last Edit: 01 Aug , 2009, 10:29 by kagero43 »

Mr.Mox

Re: New to this group, and Type IIB almost finished...
« Reply #1 on: 18 May , 2009, 06:42 »
Welcome aboard - looking forward seeing those pics.

I have a "surplus" II A i have been thinking about giving the same treatment so I am interested in seeing your approach.

Did the U9 have any grafics on the turret or was it U18 which had the red star with the torpedo ?

Cheers/Jan

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2 on: 18 May , 2009, 10:00 »
       HI JAN...IT WAS U-18

kagero43

« Reply #3 on: 18 May , 2009, 14:04 »
Hi Jan. Yes the U-9 had an Iron Cross on the conning tower. I was pondering how to replicate this as it was not painted on, but was actually a metal insignia as the photos show. I discovered that the Dragon line of 1/6 action figure assessories iron crosses fit almost perfectly. I should have pics posted in about a week. - Harvey Low

kagero43

« Reply #4 on: 04 Jun , 2009, 07:55 »
Hey guys. I have seen great and inspiring models on this site! Here are some in-build pics of my 1/72 U-9 (a conversion to a Type IIB boat from the SN Type IIA). The major work is on lengthening the hull and deck, the scratchbuilding of the Flak tower, and some mods to the flood holes. Notice the size of the Type IIB compared to the Type VIIC! I am well underway painting and weathering and will post some more pics to share with you later. This sample of photos is part of a comprehensive article later on. Enjoy as much as I have enjoyed other modeler's work on this site! - Harvey Low

Mr.Mox

« Reply #5 on: 04 Jun , 2009, 10:17 »
Nice looking conversion - remember to do the cutouts in the keel for the bottom wents.

Cheers/Jan

UrpoK

« Reply #6 on: 04 Jun , 2009, 12:21 »
Black Sea Wintergarten is a great subject!
Looks good!
Whose figures are you using?

Mr.Mox

« Reply #7 on: 04 Jun , 2009, 16:02 »
Whose figures are you using?

Looks like an Andrea Set and one of the new CMK sets?

kagero43

« Reply #8 on: 04 Jun , 2009, 21:08 »
You have a good eye Mr. Mox. Yes they are Andrea figures with one from CMK. It may be me, do you guys find the Andrfea figures a bit overscale? They are really well done, but appear a bit on the large size as I have a ton of other 1/72 figures, being (shhhhhh), a braille scale armour modeler as well.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #9 on: 05 Jun , 2009, 06:00 »
Very nice mod work!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Mr.Mox

« Reply #10 on: 05 Jun , 2009, 08:01 »
You have a good eye Mr. Mox. Yes they are Andrea figures with one from CMK. It may be me, do you guys find the Andrfea figures a bit overscale? They are really well done, but appear a bit on the large size as I have a ton of other 1/72 figures, being (shhhhhh), a braille scale armour modeler as well.

Thanks, well I have the Andrea set too, and can only agree on them being a bit overscale - so be carefull with mixing them with other brands.

Cheers/Jan

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 05 Jun , 2009, 15:12 »
Hi Harvey,

Great work with modifying the A to a B. Keep it coming.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #12 on: 05 Jun , 2009, 15:29 »
I like it a lot. Super conversion.

kagero43

« Reply #13 on: 05 Jun , 2009, 16:13 »
Thanks guys! And it really FUN! Busy appyling the weathering. Weathering submarines to reflect the rust and water stains along with paint flaking is harder than it looks!  :o

kagero43

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jun , 2009, 10:13 »
Here's the progress on the modified Conning Tower for Boat U-9. I still have more weathering to go (e.g., more rust but sparingly, slight drybrushing, final matt coat etc), but it is close to finished - just the figures and jumpwires. I am learning alot about U-boats. The hull is still underway on the weathering, and just added the excellent AMP draft marking decals I got very timely from Dougie! - THANKS!  (they go on great with MICRO SET and SOL- will post those pics later. It's been a fun and challenging project especially the weathering! Using a combination of washes, filters, pin-washes to try to get that appearance of a sea-battered veteran! Thanks for the input and positive comments guys. Great work and research on this site! - Harvey Low