Author Topic: Modelbrass problem  (Read 13026 times)

BalEee

Re: Modelbrass problem
« Reply #30 on: 03 Feb , 2013, 17:54 »
Sigh.
I.m US based.
Wish i had read this a week ago before i purchased from Modelbrass.
No responds to email.
Problem is. it's not just a matter of wanting the PE ,, i actually blew out all the lower vents on one side behind the front hydro plane. so i actually needed the kit.
Guess i'll give him a couple more weeks.

Hi

I am new to this forum, but I'm planning to build a VIIC/41 and I've collected some aftermarket kits, except for the Modellbrass PE set. I have ordered it 4 weeks ago and nothing happened, didn't even respond to my emails, until today:
 "My manufacturer says they will be complete Monday or Tuesday. I apologize for the delay. I should be shipping all items next week."
So I guess we'll finally get our kits.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #31 on: 03 Feb , 2013, 18:11 »
Sigh.
I.m US based.
Wish i had read this a week ago before i purchased from Modelbrass.
No responds to email.
Problem is. it's not just a matter of wanting the PE ,, i actually blew out all the lower vents on one side behind the front hydro plane. so i actually needed the kit.
Guess i'll give him a couple more weeks.

Hi

I am new to this forum, but I'm planning to build a VIIC/41 and I've collected some aftermarket kits, except for the Modellbrass PE set. I have ordered it 4 weeks ago and nothing happened, didn't even respond to my emails, until today:
 "My manufacturer says they will be complete Monday or Tuesday. I apologize for the delay. I should be shipping all items next week."
So I guess we'll finally get our kits.

Welcome aboard BalEee

You can found useful information and drawings on the Type VIIC/41 at http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=106.0 and http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=854.0

Also feel free to ask any questions, I am sure someone here will be able to help.

Simon

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #32 on: 04 Feb , 2013, 00:06 »
BalEee.
I join Simon in his welcome to you. Don`t worry about the Modelbrass he is slow but reliable. We are going into tiny details on the VIIC/41 in my "mailbox" and Simon makes unbelievable drawings, feel free to put forward any questions on the VIIC there are many people able to help you.
Tore

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: 07 Feb , 2013, 08:16 »
Just an update, Jay did respond and said he was waiting for the next batch.

TopherVIIC

« Reply #34 on: 07 Feb , 2013, 08:57 »
Since we are on the Modelbrass question... I am questioning purely based on a desire to know facts. How accurate are the flood vents, and what were they based on? I am not meaning this as a slight in any way... just asking where the references were taken from... Christopher

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: 07 Feb , 2013, 09:01 »
Hello Christopher,

The rear floods were based upon U 995.

As for the front floods, these were based upon period photos that I (and maybe others) sent him. The pattern on the front floods is fine but they aren't sized quite right. The Revell holes extend too far up the hull, though it isn't that obvious and can only be appreciated when looking very closely at photos of the real boats.

Cheers,

Dougie

TopherVIIC

« Reply #36 on: 07 Feb , 2013, 09:09 »
I appreciate that input Dougie... like I said... I did not mean any slight to people's real research. I noticed discrepancies based on my observations... We know the poor U-995 has been altered beyond historical reference use for too many things. I hope she was not used for measurements and placement of those chin vents...
It is clear the Revell molds are not right for that neck of the woods... I salute people's builds that use the Modelbrass PE...

« Last Edit: 07 Feb , 2013, 09:19 by TopherVIIC »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #37 on: 07 Feb , 2013, 15:04 »
Christopher.
It is not easy to have accurate flood gate pattern. one of the peculiarities is the 2-3 floodgates on the VIICs. Originally there are 3 on the port side and 2 on the starboard. In my time the U 995 had this pattern see bad photo below. Howewer some time before 1972 somebody did not like this asymmetric lay out and made 3 on the starboard side as well. Today they have probably welded plates without floodgates all over.
Tore

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: 15 Feb , 2013, 12:08 »
UPDATE:   I just received my PE set from Modelbrass.
It came very well packaged between two pieces of plywood.
Very nicely detailed
I had to pause for a few minutes and think about the different modeling enthusiast that contributed time and energy to the research, planning, design and production of this product.
To them i say Thank You.

This will be my first experience using Photo etched parts.
I am a bit nervous about making the pieces adhere properly.

Rokkets and company's, plans for a plastic kit sounds very much to be a great idea.
It would seem that adhesion would be much simpler with styrene or plastic.
I'm surprised it hasn't been put into production  yet.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb , 2013, 13:39 by OldNoob »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #39 on: 15 Feb , 2013, 14:34 »
OldNoob.
I understand your worries over brass parts joining plastic, I had it my shelf. However I was pleasantly surprised how easy it works. Just be careful to bend it properly, particularly the aft pieces, make a good fit prior to fixing it.
Tore