Author Topic: Revell IXc 1/72  (Read 54717 times)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: Revell IXc 1/72
« Reply #90 on: 12 Jan , 2014, 06:50 »
Hi guys,

1) These bars were on wartime IXs I think. They were certainly on U 67 and U 128.

2) I think this ready container for the 37mm automatic was also on the VIIC U 977. But it wasn't fitted the starboard side of the IX U 889 when it surrendered because the pipes for the snorkel were on the starboard side.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #91 on: 12 Jan , 2014, 07:41 »
Sorry Glenn,

on 3) That will teach me not to read the instruction properly, my bad, I think I have something on the radio fit for a IXC, certainly I have a lot on radar and radar detectors, if I find it I will let you know.

Regards
Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: 12 Jan , 2014, 08:56 »
Hi Glenn & Jon,

3) Please don't shoot me if I am wrong but I think part 167 was simply an extendable support bar that lookouts could use to hold on to. It could, I think, be extended or retracted depending on the wishes of the lookouts. There is a very good image on page 22 of the Vom Original IX book.

It might have been in the retracted position during the actual capture (I'm not certain of this).

But it was definitely in the extended position just after the capture when Gallery was photograhed on board (after Can Do Junior was painted on).

It is shown in the extended position upon U 505 when in Bermuda.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #93 on: 12 Jan , 2014, 14:45 »
Oh, too cool!    Well on the Revell kit, the loop attaches to 2 vertical bars that are NOT supposed to be cemented, so the loop can be raised or lowered.

Given that that kit gives a 3.7cm cannon and the spare barrel holder, and the appropriate markings... OF COURSE I would like to do something differently.   hehehe :D
Anyone who's seen my U-673 knows I have a penchant for 2.0cm quad vierling, and reading along with this thread it seems that U-505 had a vierling early on.

So here is what I am looking for... I want to model U-505 as it ran when it had a vierling on the rear lower wintergarten.

1) Confirm that the 3.7cm spare barrel holding tube would NOT be present on the stbd side of the tower.
2) What would the emblem(s) be on the boat?    What other markings, flags, etc.?
3) What year(s) would it have had that configuration?
4) Did U-505 *ever* run a forward deck gun?   If yes, 88 or 105?

Or for that matter... does anyone know of a boat that had the following:
  * 2cm quad vierling, lower rear
  * 105 deck gun
  * same decking as U-505

« Last Edit: 12 Jan , 2014, 14:48 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #94 on: 12 Jan , 2014, 16:38 »
Hi First to Glenn

U505 ran with 2*2cm zwilling, 1*2cm vierling and with no 10.5cm deck gun 1-13 July 1943 at that time the front emblem would have been the Olympic rings not 100% sure of the side emblem, probably the Battleaxe.
Prior to that she ran with a turm 1, armament being 1*10.5cm, 1*2cm on the tower and 1*3.7cm SKC, not to be confused with the 3.7cm M42 fitted later to the lower deck of the turm IV.
Never say never, but it is unlikely that any Type IXC ran with both vierling and a 10.5cm deck gun, possibly one or more of the Type IXD2 mossun boats did, but that is a whole different hull.

Dougie and Glenn: short answer on 3) part167/168,  I believe it could Dougie's retracting handhold, according to Von Original page 22

Regards
Jon

« Last Edit: 12 Jan , 2014, 17:20 by Capt Kremin »
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #95 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 04:07 »
First full built to buy for (german ebay-section). Don't know if the colour scheme is correct in a historical point of view.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/deutsches-U-Boot-Typ-IX-C-1-72-gebaut-und-bemalt-built-/331105660144?pt=Standmodelle_Bausätze&hash=item4d176f6cf0

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #96 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 05:17 »
First full built to buy for (german ebay-section)

€299,99
Seriously?     Puhleeeeeeezzz...   ::)
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #97 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 06:35 »
Hi Glenn,

I agree, it's a stiff price. Accidentally I found this blog hosting bei google+.

https://plus.google.com/109836280044351543224/posts

Seems to be interesting for those who want to open the whole pressure hull. The guy sells on german section of ebay:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rumpf-Upgrade-Fotoatzteile-fur-U-Boot-Type-IXC-1-72-/291056386640?pt=Standmodelle_Bausätze&hash=item43c4500250

You have to pay EUR 59,00 (approx. 80,00 US-Dollar) for the complete sets (3 frets). Again not a cheap deal in my opinion according to the price of the Revell-IXC-Kit.

Regards
falo

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #98 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 07:20 »
These are interesting PE pieces, but again I think they are overpriced for what you get.   

On the 1:72 Type VIIC boat, there was a Modelbrass set that included some of the same sorts of pieces.  They were to correct the inaccurate flooding holes on the Revell VIIC models.

http://www.modelbrass.com/revell_viic.htm

I used them on my U-673 build.
Mind you, the seller was absolutely HORRIBLE to deal with.   >:(

Now, for these Type IXC flooding hole details, they are not really "correcting" inaccurate flooding holes, they are replacing them with cleaner holes and some additional riveting.   The Revell kit has fairly accurate holes (I think) that can be easily opened up, and it is fairly easy to add more rivets.   IMHO, these PE sets would be of limited value... just my opinion.   :P
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #99 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 07:30 »
On the 1:72 Type VIIC boat, there was a Modelbrass set that included some of the same sorts of pieces.
Mind you, the seller was absolutely HORRIBLE to deal with.   >:(

Interesting...   look at this:   http://www.modelbrass.com/revell_viic-installed.htm
The photos of a VIIC with the installed Modelbrass inserts (with the HORRIBLE seller, Jason Overhulser)  are taken by Boris Nakropin.  He is the SAME person that is now selling the new PE 'inserts' for the Type IXC.   

I really hope those 2 guys are not in cahorts, because Jason Overhulser was absolutely HORRIBLE to deal with.

Hmmmmmmm..........   :(
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 07:35 »
Hi Jon and Glenn,

I agree with everything in Jon's last post.

In the past two weeks I've been putting together a short article on U 505's modifications, colours and insignia. Since we're having this type of discussion now then I have included my table (though I haven't checked this over so there may be errors). Much of the table is based on info from the excellent "Hunt & Kill" book.

Since there were so many aborted patrols I put all patrols (either proper ones or aborted ones) with their own number. X refers to refits (13X refers to the refit before patrol 13).

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #101 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 07:42 »
If I haven't mentioned it before... you folks totally ROCK!!!    :D
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #102 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 08:02 »
Hi Glenn, I have found that people in Germany tend to pay very well for well built models.  I have auctioned several of my 1/48th and 1/32 scale aircraft for prices ranging from Euro 76 to Euro 119, and I have seen some uboots go for pretty good prices.  Having said that I have not looked at the model up for auction - ebay is blocked at work - so the quality of construction may not be that good.  I am considering auctioning both my U228 and U255 builds in the future as several of the Type VIIc's that I saw fetched Euro 150(+); and most of them were not nearly the quality of workmenship of either your or my builds.  Figuring out how to ship a model the size of a 1/72 scale Type VII is the only reason I have not taken the plunge yet.

Sincerely,
Ernest

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #103 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 08:07 »
Hi Greif,

It looks like it is strictly OOB.  No added details, no extra work to open any holes, etc.   Nice paintjob & weathering though.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #104 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 08:43 »
Can I paint up this boat with the red lower hull and a wide black boot stripe... and Schlickgrau upper?
Would that be taking "artistic license" too far?   
:D   nyaa haa haaaaaaaa
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca