Author Topic: Revell IXc 1/72  (Read 55049 times)

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Re: Revell IXc 1/72
« Reply #75 on: 07 Jan , 2014, 08:11 »
I would love to see a photo etch or resin kit of the cut out. Or better yet a 1/72 Type IXC/41 U-805!!!!  :o
Now I am dreaming! ::)
Come to think of it; I dreamed for a 1/72 Type IX anything for almost 20 years so...... ;D
Dan

LOL   :)
Hey, the ideas have to come from SOMEWHERE!
Send a friend note to Revell making a recommendation...
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

schemelschelm

« Reply #76 on: 07 Jan , 2014, 10:51 »
Hi (again) Glen

CMK are up to something, they said they were concentrating on the U505...

Yes, and here you can see, what's coming.  :)

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #77 on: 07 Jan , 2014, 11:04 »
Yes, and <HERE> you can see, what's coming.  :)

Holy jeez!!!   :D
« Last Edit: 10 Jan , 2014, 09:58 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #78 on: 07 Jan , 2014, 15:08 »
Hi Martin,

Well spotted. 8)
There's a challenge to anyone who has built a cutaway type VII.
Damn there goes my pocket money again. ;)
N72020 U-Boot Typ IX Weapon Conversion Set sounds interesting.
Seeing that list, along with the other speculative offerings has made up my mind for sure now to proceed with the hull mods slowly and wait to see what else comes out  in the next 6 months, it could save me a lot of scratch work.

Regards
Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

schemelschelm

« Reply #79 on: 08 Jan , 2014, 02:20 »
Hey Jon,

you're so right! It's awesome and becomes a real giant project day after day..

Btw: Has someone contacted Nautilus Models for a wooden deck for the IX C?

And @Capt Kremin: Where can I find your scratch build WIP of the IX C in 1/72? I searched but can't find something...

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #80 on: 08 Jan , 2014, 08:10 »
Yes, I have had brief exchanges with Nautilus about their plans for the IXC.   He is still batting around some ideas.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

schemelschelm

« Reply #81 on: 08 Jan , 2014, 11:58 »
Yes, I have had brief exchanges with Nautilus about their plans for the IXC.

Great, thanks!  :)

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #82 on: 08 Jan , 2014, 12:02 »
I put the bug in his ear that people are wondering what his plans are -- including a link to this thread -- so hopefully this will prompt him to post some information.   :D
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #83 on: 09 Jan , 2014, 10:49 »
Here is an AWESOME walk-around video of U-505, showing many fine details:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ1PWdMI-Sk

:D
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #84 on: 09 Jan , 2014, 15:02 »
Hi Schemelschelm,

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I am trying not to make scratch built parts to my U534 where possible, so I will wait and see what becomes available in the coming months, the CMK weapons upgrade set sounds promising, along with Oto's deck, which, hopefully I will be able to modify for the U534s magnetic flux detector, which had  no fairing. While I wait I am slowly building up the hull, filling excess flood holes etc. I will do a build blog, but due to the time it will take me to build I'm will start the blog when it has progessed sufficiently.

Glenn Hmm wood or copper - decisions,decisions  :-\

Regards
Jon
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #85 on: 11 Jan , 2014, 08:41 »
Hi Again!
I beleive there was a good question raised about all the rivits on the Revell Model. As I remember,  the U-505 in Chicago did have alot of rivits, but in certain areas it had welds too.  If I remember, the rivits were in spectic areas  only on the lower hull. We need more detail shots of the hull sides of the U-505 in Chicago.
  Also, Dougie raised a very good comment in the fact that U-505 has been heavely  modified and patched up and down right altered  after her capture.  The point made that she set in the water for many years before being brought up to Chicago.  Reference the many pics of U-505 being brought up to Chicago in 1954. She looked in pretty rough shape! So saying that we need to be careful when modifing this model and do some more homework to get it right if we want a correct U-505 before or after capture.
Dan

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #86 on: 11 Jan , 2014, 15:12 »
Hi Dan

I agree there is always a danger when taking a museum subject as gospel, especially any of the U-boats as they have been subject to the ravages of time. The most obvious example is the U534 the tower has been built completely from scratch, as has most of the upper hull, look at a picture of her as she was being raised, compared to even pictures whilst in the hands of the Warship Preservation Trust.
With the best will in the world it is almost impossible to accurately repair a 60 year old boat to represent her at an earlier time, as during her life there will be various modifications and repairs, during and after service, this is true particularly of the U505 which was patched up during her layover in the Bermuda, followed by 'secret' trials, by the time she reached the Chicargo river she was even sporting a fresh (incorrect) paint job.
Those of us who are trying to research our respective boats to model will acknowledge how difficult it is to find confirmed details about a specific boat. Where modellers of the U505 wins is there are several pictures available of her during her operational years and to be fair Revell have done a pretty good job of representing her when she left on her last combat patrol. Most other boats are being modelled on poor quality pictures, anecdotal evidence and guess work.

Regards
Jon
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #87 on: 11 Jan , 2014, 17:54 »
There are a few things that I can REASONABLY imagine are done on the Revell kit that mimic a "museum-ified" U-505, and I will likely alter:

1)  Flooding holes at the bow (near the torpedo tube doors) have several vertical bars through them.  Those are likely added at the museum to stop critters, etc. from getting in.  Likely the boat on patrol did not have those.

2)  The big angled cylinder on the rear right of the tower, below the upper gun platform (step 32, part #180). It is not schnorkel piping, as it is not attached to anything.  I imagine this was a holding tube to hold the American flag after capture... what do you think?  Do other boats have that, too?   Would it be safe to say it was not present on the boat on patrols?

3) What is the loop antenna that is horizontal, between the periscopes?   (step 37, part 167)
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #88 on: 12 Jan , 2014, 00:46 »
Hi Glenn,

As I said it is a matter of photo interpretation, however:

1) check http://www.atlantik-pirat.com/images/u534%20231.png, bit of a coincidence to have the same critter catchers fitted after salvage, which btw have now almost completely rotted away. Should be there (I think).

2) Part # 180 is the ready container for a spare 3.7cm barrel. Definitely should be there if you are fitting the 3.7cm and not a 2cm veirling.

3) Part # 167 is the step at the base of the periscope, the same as on a Type VII.

Seriously, it's not easy, and I've been researching Type IXs, specifically U523 and U534 for over a year, admittedly as a hobby and on a budget that precludes a trip to the U505 (I'd love to). But wartime Type IX info is rarer than Type VII, XXI and XXIII, more akin to Type II (more kudos to Rokket et al for the Type II detail set, please make some more!). The added disadvantage is the size as any photograph is normally a close up of the outside of the tower or a distant shop of the whole boat. U523 deck just aft of the tower is still guess work based on other boats and the U534s schorkel layout is a bit of a problem which I hope to have an interesting solution to by the time I visit her again later this year.

Regards
Jon
« Last Edit: 13 Jan , 2014, 17:56 by Capt Kremin »
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #89 on: 12 Jan , 2014, 06:36 »
3) Part # 167 is the step at the base of the periscope, the same as on a Type VII.

Check your instructions for the Type IXC again.... Page 14, step 37, part #167 is a loop antenna.   It is laid down horizontally, and is between the antennas.     Wondering if anyone has more detail pics of this, to verify if it is just a basic loop, or if there are more detail parts on it.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca