Author Topic: Rear torpedo section VII / 3D model / 1/72  (Read 31691 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Rear torpedo section VII / 3D model /
« Reply #45 on: 04 May , 2012, 10:19 »
Marko
It looks better with the floor, I still think you should make the thrustshaftflange the same diameter as the tailshaft flange, they are bolted together. Se posted picture. My photo of the thrustbearing is just a general design, I see Maciek has posted a correct topview ( the picture did`t come out on my PC). Your better copy Macieks picture if you got it.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #46 on: 04 May , 2012, 11:13 »
hmm, if i understood right this is what you mean, if it is, is in case of render optical illusion, diameters are coincident:

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #47 on: 04 May , 2012, 12:07 »
Yes, but make the flanges a bit thicker and do away with the thrustshaftrim in front of the flange as indicated on the picture below.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #48 on: 04 May , 2012, 13:35 »
okay, trim has been cut away, and flange got thicker by 0.5mm (for the thickness of the thrustshaft trim (now is flange 1mm long), tailshaft trim is 2mm long, with same diameter as before = 3 mm
see render:

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #49 on: 04 May , 2012, 14:04 »
Hi guys

Here a nice close-up view of U-766 drive shaft  ;)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #50 on: 04 May , 2012, 14:06 »
Flanges seems to be fine now, may be a line would indicate the two halfs. Somehow the thrustbearings seems to have "grown" it is sligthly too big in relation to the couplings.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #51 on: 04 May , 2012, 14:20 »
Simon
It looks like a torsional vibration fracture. Could very well happen to a sub where you have many torsional vibration systems due to many vibration masses and different variation of shaftlength. Today it is always carried out sofisticated calculations to prevent such fractures, during the war it was not common.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #52 on: 04 May , 2012, 14:27 »
could i make a groove between flanges with dimensions 0.3x0.3 mm? that would be minimal dimension that printer could make, or i could leave it solid and scribe the groove with scribing tool..
edit: well, i tried to make a groove 0.3 wide, and that is essentially one third of the flange thickness, i dont see point by doing that.will rather leave it solid, and scribe it afterwards..

on to the torpedo trim tanks, are these more or less correct?
« Last Edit: 04 May , 2012, 14:38 by Marko »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #53 on: 04 May , 2012, 15:17 »
Do that. I don`t think the torpedo compensatingtank and the trimtank were cicular, I`m mailing a crossection at frame 6 which migth give you an idea how they looked.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #54 on: 05 May , 2012, 05:29 »
hm, this helps a lot, i think this could be it (marked blue in render):

by the way, on top of these tanks, should be on the port side auxiliary generator and on starboard side junkers air compressor with hose to pressure tanks, am i right on this?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #55 on: 05 May , 2012, 06:59 »
Yes, you are entering into a fairly cramped area with a lot of stuff. On stb side is the Junker free opposed piston compressor. It is basicly a tube containing two pistons like dieselpistons meeting in the center where the combustionchamber ( and fuelinjector) is. Both pistons have on the other side a two stage compressorpiston. The unit works like a free piston four stage dieselcompressor. There are an intricate bunch of pipes like inletpipe with filter,exhaust pipe, fuelpipes, coolingwaterpipes and airpipes as you can see on the posted picture below. Make it like a horisontal tube with inlet and exhaust pipes. The airpipes from the compressor is not hoses but steeltubes ( 205 bar) connecting to a distribution chest and then HP airbottles.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #56 on: 05 May , 2012, 07:13 »
alrighty, thanks for the picture, unfortunately most of the piping i wont be able to do with this method, so i will have to use copper or lead wires on assembly, however main tubes i will be able to recreate, i think i could go down to 0.6, maybe even 0.5 mm diameter, which is in 1:1 then rougly 40  mm

here is the generator, i tried to match it to the one found on K

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #57 on: 05 May , 2012, 07:34 »
Seems to be OK. Below is a simplyfied drawing of the Junker compressor. It`s placed between frame 5 and 9 I believe. On port side up fwd of the E-compressor is the emergency steering as can be seen on the posted drawing.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #58 on: 05 May , 2012, 08:03 »
Here is a picture which gives a good view of the relevant machinery, you are also able to see the  emergencysteering and compensating tanks.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #59 on: 05 May , 2012, 09:17 »
thanks for the photo, a little bit simplified, from both sides, opinions are welcome: