Author Topic: Iceonaboys type VIIC build 1.72  (Read 18418 times)

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
Re: Iceonaboys type VIIC build 1.72
« Reply #75 on: 11 Jul , 2011, 07:39 »
Thanks Wink, looks like I will have to settle for the kit parts then :-\ No worries.

I put the deck onto my boat and gave it a coat of oil paint which I then wiped off. I used burnt umber, which some might say is too brown, but Im hoping to go for a well worn look on the whole boat, and will be sanding and weathering the deck some more anyway.

I was wondering about the PE fore and aft metal deck pieces and would it be acceptable to glue them onto the wood? I thought with them being so thin that this would be ok, but if anyone has any advice, then please feel free to shout out ;) Its maybe a bit late now to chop the ends of the wooden deck anyway. :-\

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #76 on: 12 Jul , 2011, 08:56 »
Back to work tomorrow :( My parting shot was to order the wooden deck for the VIIC/41 . Im hoping that that, along with the Archer set will be waiting for me when I return to port ;)
See yas all in a few weeks 8)

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: 12 Jul , 2011, 14:23 »
Thanks Wink, looks like I will have to settle for the kit parts then :-\ No worries.

If you're still talking about the scopes, then I found the problem with the kit parts wasn't so much the detail at the top of the scopes, but that the shafts of the scopes just didn't look right.  There was no way to get them to look like hydraulic tubes, and they wouldn't move very well in the wells they were supposed to telescope out of. 

The brass scopes are well shaped, but again the brass doesn't mimic hydraulic tubes very well.

So what I did was to get aluminum tubes of the right diameter from the shop and used the hot knife (you can tell I get a lot of use out of that knife) to cut off the top AND bottom of the kit scopes.  I then shaved the plastic down to fit inside the aluminum tubes to exactly duplicate the shape of the plastic kit scopes and voila, a scope that looks like it's hydraulic metal inside the well, (since the top is painted anyway, that doesn't matter) and it extends and retracts smoothly from the well, just like the real one.  The plastic part at the base still works to lock it at the desired height when extended.

I was wondering about the PE fore and aft metal deck pieces and would it be acceptable to glue them onto the wood? I thought with them being so thin that this would be ok, but if anyone has any advice, then please feel free to shout out ;) Its maybe a bit late now to chop the ends of the wooden deck anyway. :-\

If I understand your question correctly, I'd use a Dremel tool to shave off a thin bit of the wood so as to inset the PE part.  If you have a steady hand and something to brace it against, you could freehand it or you could attach a jig to Dremel as a depth-stop so that you can take off a constant amount of wood.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #78 on: 13 Jul , 2011, 01:47 »
good info Pat!

Ice - looking good!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #79 on: 04 Aug , 2011, 11:29 »
The archer set is excellent, our own forum mate Glenn Cauley designed it. The only downside: the price!

Hi folks, been a while since I've been on here... :)

Yeh, the price is a bit daunting for the Archer kit, but it makes replacing rivets & welds SOOOOOOOOO easy compared to any alternative.  Take a look on my build site here:  www.travel-net.com/~gcauley/U673      and go to the "Rivets" section.

Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #80 on: 05 Aug , 2011, 10:25 »
Arrived back home for 4 weeks ;D...the Archer set and the wooden deck for the VIIC/41 were, as hoped, waiting on me. Delighted with both ;)

I tried offering the PE deck end pieces up to the deck on my VIIC and they do stick up a bit, so I am gonna have to retro- cut the wood off. Anyone got any ideas as to what to use as a backing for the PE to ensure a flush fit with the wood?

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #81 on: 05 Aug , 2011, 13:50 »
No worries about my last question. I found that the PE deck sections lay across the edges of the plastic hull, although , I found a bit of an overlap, which will have to be addressed with a bit of careful filing. Its all part of the learning curve as I have never worked with PE parts before, far less wooden decking :-\ I am quite impressed with the results right enough. A great big thank you to Glenn, who put me on the right track for a lot of this stuff right at the start ;)

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #82 on: 06 Aug , 2011, 21:34 »
Ob, yes, forgot to answer question waaay back - I think what you're doing is best, cut the wood on the ends and then glue across bridges/supports. The little hinges and doohickies can be glued to the wood no prob, but the end metal deck, not so much.

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #83 on: 07 Aug , 2011, 09:09 »
Real varnish has yellowing and eating problems, tho I must say i'm surprised a Humbrol spray went bad. I agree with Anakin, use Vallejo or Future Floor Wax. I've never used any Vallejo, but only hear really, really good things about their paints. I've used a little Future (Aus equiv by Johnson & Johnson) and it was cool. My bottle had a slight tint but did not tint when applied. It can also be taken off with window cleaner or ammonia, so it's very safe! In this 1:144 case, the effect is actually pretty cool weathering! (at least in the pix...)

I was wondering Wink, or if anyone else may know, Future floor wax is sold as Johnsons Klear in the UK, and it has now gone out of production. Is there any other product that works as well, that is still easy enough to obtain?

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #84 on: 08 Aug , 2011, 06:33 »
hm,

i know that here as an alternative we have Erdal Gl

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #85 on: 09 Aug , 2011, 02:12 »
I have heard that their other product, Pledge, works very well. That was news in February. The only Pledge I know of from USA is a spraycan wax for furniture, so not sure...

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #86 on: 09 Aug , 2011, 09:06 »
Future floor wax = 'pledge' future floor wax

same stuff  :)
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

bracco_n

« Reply #87 on: 09 Aug , 2011, 11:06 »
Hey Glenn, any progress on U-673?

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #88 on: 09 Aug , 2011, 12:34 »
I managed to procure a bottle of Pledge Klear, which Im hoping is the same stuff, otherwise Im in for some interesting times with the old sub :D

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #89 on: 13 Aug , 2011, 18:48 »
Hi Glenn, long time no hear! Thanks, 'preciate the confirm!