Author Topic: U-711  (Read 41485 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: U-711
« Reply #120 on: 17 Feb , 2010, 23:09 »
Unfortunately, that method requires drinking a lot of beer...but it's for a good cause ;D
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #121 on: 18 Feb , 2010, 03:49 »
Its even worse  ;D - I need some Whiskey to calm down my nerves and desinfect my fingers because of the many cuts.

I didn`t lower the pressure hull I already made. I slit up the Revell hull!  ::)

As you can see on many pics of the original VIIC hull, the outer hull sits ON the pressure hull, its not flush. Thats why those areas look deeper than the rest.

I saw at german modellers forums, people slit up the Revell hull and push the indicated "pressure hull" inside, then fix it again. It is a delicate operation, but I think it is worth the effort. So I tried it by myself...

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #122 on: 19 Feb , 2010, 00:56 »
awaiting pix...

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #123 on: 19 Feb , 2010, 00:56 »
...of the p-hull, not you drinking ;D

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #124 on: 19 Feb , 2010, 04:16 »

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #125 on: 19 Feb , 2010, 10:23 »

bracco_n

« Reply #126 on: 19 Feb , 2010, 11:38 »
Which boat are you building Don? Can we see some pics?

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #127 on: 19 Feb , 2010, 13:54 »
Which boat are you building Don? Can we see some pics?

Attempting to give life to U96, bracco. Due to a cheap camera and lack of computer skills I am still struggling with posting pics but will try to figure it all out ASAP.

Lack of reference material is making the build go slow,too, but thanks to Dougie, Wink, Siara et al some of the gaps are getting filled in. Then too, if no one else knows what a particular detail looks like it gives me a little leeway to wing it. I am trying to walk the fine line between realism and esthetics insofar as possible. (Also acquiring a wide vocabulary of swear words along the way.   ;))

Thanks for the interest.

Don

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #128 on: 19 Feb , 2010, 22:17 »
The thing about a p-hull in a model is that it's hard to fit because the hull is quite thick and the model is made for the outside to look good, not inside. And of course, Ok, the TWO things about  p-hull are the inside/scale thing, and that VERY little will be seen. Plus.., OK, the THREE, the THREE things...

Seriously, it is worth having on in there, but you don't need it perfect, little can be seen even if you paint it fluro yellow and shine a light. having SOMETHING is definitely good tho.

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #129 on: 20 Feb , 2010, 21:51 »
Unless you make the majority of thelarge deck hatches opening like I'm planning with my model. 

Then not only will you be able to see what's directly below the hatches, but with the hatches and the spacing between the deck planks, there should be enough light underneath to see much more of the p-hull.

At least enough should be visible that I'm concerned about what colour to have the compressed air tanks, but so far I haven't been able to find an answer.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #130 on: 21 Feb , 2010, 00:21 »
that's a good point!

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #131 on: 22 Feb , 2010, 10:05 »
Ahoi!

Thanks for your well-meant advice. But I don`t have any problems - at least for now - with my pressurehull I build using the plan of Glenn. Testfittings show it fits absolutely perfect.

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #132 on: 22 Feb , 2010, 10:24 »
The "problem" I meant is getting obvious, when you look at the following pictures. You see, that the outer-casing doesn`t cover the pressure hull completely. At the sides of U-Boot the pressure hull is visibly. Revell display that only with those tiny lines I mentioned. But in reality, there was an edge:

There are also tons of other pics, where you can see this edge.

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #133 on: 22 Feb , 2010, 10:51 »
So I went All-In!  ;D

In some german modellers forums, I saw people slitting up their hulls in order to lower the pressure hull. I HAD to try it by myself!

The tools: One knife 11, one knife 4B and a block of wood. The block of wood prvents the hull from breaking, because there will be a lot of pressure when you try to slit up.

But the most important tool is a molding cutter (?), since the Revell hull is pretty thick and it is impossible to cut through it without a lot of milling.

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #134 on: 22 Feb , 2010, 11:14 »
Then I cut from the outside of the hull along the lines indicating the pressure hull. I carefully pushed the p-hull inside and fixed it with some paperstripes:

Tape prevents the epoxy glue to get throug the cuts:

After that I fixed it all with epoxy glue and some small peaces of plastic or whatever:

The front end was a bit easier to fix.

Next, I have to use some putty and sandpaper to get THE edge smooth. I`ll show you, when its done...