Author Topic: U-711  (Read 41637 times)

Offline Pat

• Captain
Re: U-711
« Reply #105 on: 05 Feb , 2010, 16:46 »
Yes, it makes sense that the deck gun would have been removed at the same time the schnorkel was retrofitted. 

I wish I hadn't lost all my research, because I'd made a spreadsheet of the entire history of U-711 and IIRC, there was a period about June or July, 1944, when she was in port a longer than usual time and which was probably when those changes occured.

I hadn't got a confirmed date of the gun removal/schnorkel installation, but I'd thought at the time that made the most sense.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #106 on: 05 Feb , 2010, 16:49 »
I also think it was sporadic and inconsistent, in sense that some boats were there and easy to change, others out and busy, changed later..(as in all the uboat mods!)
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #107 on: 05 Feb , 2010, 17:15 »
No doubt rokket.

And a foreceful skipper (as Lang no doubt was judging by his post-war life) with a good reason, could at least delay something being done to his boat that he didn't want done.

While the removal of the deck gun was likely a simple process, perhaps taking less than a day, installing a schnorkel, changing all the trunking, adding new air pumps and hydraulics for raising the mast, removing the ready ammo canister and rebuilding the deck, would likely take a considerable amount of effort.

Hmmm, I wonder if a model of U-711 with the snort should more accurately show evidence of new, unweathered decking in place around the trench and still have traces of extra wear surrounding where the deck gun used to be?  That would make for an interesting conversations starter.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #108 on: 06 Feb , 2010, 20:03 »
Ahh, different weathering, that is excellent! Or maybe take that further and have some workers putting the finishing touches on installation?
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #109 on: 06 Feb , 2010, 23:04 »
I've often made models showing repaired damage, especially if I can find photos of it or historical records of what damage was inflicted in a battle.

For instance, I've done tanks with scars of richochets on the mantlet, a bent front fender over one of the tracks, rust and smoke damage around the exhaust and of course, dried caked-on mud on all the lower surfaces.  Maybe also paint worn off where boots would scrape while climbing into the turret.  Aircraft with small patches over bullet holes, maybe the paint there a little brighter because it's newer.

At one time, I was planning to do a diorama of the Battle of the the River Platte.  I'd just read a book that detailed where each shell hit and what the damage was.  There were kits available of Exeter, Achilles and Graff Spee, all in the same scale and Ajax was a sister ship of Achilles, so that was doable too.  I just never did it.

Since the city just next to where I live is Ajax (there are lots of ships named after cities, but Ajax is the only city named after a ship - all the original streets were named after crewmen), maybe one day I should build it.

Anyway, back to the U-boats.  It makes snese that if you know a boat has had some mods (like the CT being modified from Turm 2-Turm 4), that the newer sections wouldn't be as weathered as the original. 

I often try to make differential weathering on my decks.  More where people walk a lot (around hatches and guns)), and less where they don't.

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #110 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 09:34 »
Since U-711 went through several repairs and modifications, here is timetable (only external rep +mod) basing on an article on Taucher.net which is based on an interview with Kpt.-Lt. Lange:

12.07.43 - 17.07.43: repair of M
« Last Edit: 07 Feb , 2010, 14:14 by Jan »

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #111 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 11:56 »
So it seems my thoughts were correct.  The tower modification to Turm IV started in May 43 and was finished by May 44.  (Not sure what stage it was at any given date) but the 88mm wasn't removed until Oct/Nov 43.  (Not sure why that took so long)

So it did have at least some tower mods at the same time it had the gun.

The schnorkel wasn't fitted until much later, a year after the gun was removed.  that would give the impression that the deck was just flat and open for that year, with perhaps just a flat plate where the gun had been.

So that helps date the pix we have of U-711 tied up with the 3 other U-boats.

U-711 seemed to bump into things a lot. 

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #112 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 14:14 »
Oh sorry, I meant the tower modifications were entirely done in May 44. I`ll correct it...

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #113 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 21:11 »
Well bummer.  That means I've got the '44 tower with the '43 deck gun!

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #114 on: 08 Feb , 2010, 05:14 »
Sorry to hear...but its one of the main problems, when deciding to build U-711. Depending on which state you want to build it, you need more or less a hybrid of both Revellkits...

bracco_n

« Reply #115 on: 16 Feb , 2010, 07:24 »
Any progress Jan?

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #116 on: 16 Feb , 2010, 13:35 »
Any progress Jan?

A little bit...but today was a very bad day... I tried to lower the pressure hull where it meets the "outer hull" -  because Revell only displayed the small gap with this tiny line - but unfortunately my cut was a bit to long, so I had to do some corection work to stabilize it... Hmmm, its very difficult to explain  :D...I`ll post some pics when its done.

bracco_n

« Reply #117 on: 16 Feb , 2010, 17:01 »
aaah doing the pressure hull! I really enjoyed doing that part! post some pics!

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #118 on: 17 Feb , 2010, 06:36 »
I'm making the pressure hull in my build out of pop bottles to overcome any problem like that.

I chose A&W because they have a long flat section in the middle, and it's easy to join them together and put a small band at the joint which needs to be there for accuracy anyway.

I just cut out the flat section, and then slit it down the middle so that I can make it larger or smaller as required to fit the casing hull.  To lower the pressure hull as you're doing, all you need do is squeeze the shell a little bit and it gets smaller.  The slit part overlaps and the seam is in a spot that can't be seem, or even is just a half tube if desired with another half tube inside the for and aft areas where it might show through the hull vents.

To get a gradually reducing cross section, just squeeze one end more than the other.  It glues with CA and takes paint well and is easy to drill to install trunking and pressure lines.

I'm also debating (but haven't decided yet) whether to put ballast in the keel and styrofoam inside this pressure hull to make the model float.

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #119 on: 17 Feb , 2010, 10:21 »
   Pat.. Theres been some work done already with P-hulls made from cans.. Do a search on "beer can p- hull" and you'll see some interesting variations. I would have posted the link but i'm not that smart!
                                    Cheers/Regards.. Bill