Author Topic: 1/72 Revell Type VIIC/41  (Read 41489 times)

Offline TristanR

• Lieutenant (jg)
Re: 1/72 Revell Type VIIC/41
« Reply #90 on: 27 Nov , 2015, 14:17 »

I got the hatch back from shapeways, sorry for the poor photo here it is with some primer on it. Miraculously, it arrived in one piece, I did have to give the wheel a blob of glue as it was getting loose.  I think I can print a 0.5mm hole running through the hinge so I can open and close, also the inside of the hatch (not the latches) was rough when primed.  I can make the galley hatch and tower hatch, but I can't find much reference for the torpedo loading hatch.  Anyone have some reference?

I did some more work on the tower parts, incorporating your feedback, I think I might make a print for the top of the conning tower, but I have very bad reference for this.  I seem the only photos I can find are of dive wrecks!

« Last Edit: 27 Nov , 2015, 14:37 by TristanR »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #91 on: 28 Nov , 2015, 00:57 »
Torpedo loading Hatch.
I Guess it is pretty much the same,  but having 4 claws.
Tore

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #92 on: 08 Dec , 2015, 11:36 »
Wow this is going to be a nice build!!
I would offer to make you a set of periscopes, but they probably wouldn't be accurate enough for your build.
www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-1-72-VIIC-U-Boat-Metal-Periscopes-set-/121833396725

Offline Roel

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #93 on: 10 Jan , 2016, 14:38 »
Any updates? I am so curious as to how this is coming along :) These pipes just look amazing and I am very tempted to order them from shapeways!

Offline U-boater

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #94 on: 12 Jan , 2016, 07:44 »
This build is absolutely breathtaking!  8)

Please keep the updates coming.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #95 on: 12 Jan , 2016, 10:54 »
Any updates? I am so curious as to how this is coming along :) These pipes just look amazing and I am very tempted to order them from shapeways!

I have not try it yet, but you should be able to download any of my 3-D models from the 3D Warehouse, change the format to a 3-D printer, and change the scale (as all my models are 1:1) and be able to print them.

If anyone would like to try is, let me know I can help with changing the format and scale.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/collection.html?id=u4a2facb6-00be-441c-a5e5-ffd7a3c3549d

Offline Roel

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #96 on: 12 Jan , 2016, 12:28 »

I have not try it yet, but you should be able to download any of my 3-D models from the 3D Warehouse, change the format to a 3-D printer, and change the scale (as all my models are 1:1) and be able to print them.

If anyone would like to try is, let me know I can help with changing the format and scale.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/collection.html?id=u4a2facb6-00be-441c-a5e5-ffd7a3c3549d
You just gave me a crazy idea... I have been working on adjusting the CMK engine which is basically lacking in accuracy. Looking at the drawings you made, maybe you can make a 3d version of it :)
ok ok, I am just dreaming out loud.

Offline TristanR

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #97 on: 15 Jan , 2016, 01:50 »
Thanks Tore, 4 latches is good info, I'm not sure how the hinge works though, in some shots it looks like the spring runs down the tube or something?

Old Noob, those periscopes look fantastic! I would not turn down a set!

Roel, Thank you! Don't order the pipes just yet, I need to do another revision yet.

Uboater, thanks man!

NZsnowman, have you considered uploading those great models onto shapeways yourself, they look marvelous!

I have another version of the hatch here, this time with a hinge.  You can stick a 0.5mm rod into the hinge and it opens and closes. As it should.

They are up on shapeways if you want some.  This 3D printing isn't cheap!
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/supernashwan

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #98 on: 15 Jan , 2016, 02:33 »
Conning tower hatch spring.
Unbelievable quality. The spring is a torque spring. The spring is going along the outside of the hinge shaft and the ends are secured in both ends into approx.. half the length of the hingelink to the hatch in order to get a momentum arm for the heavy hatch . May be you`ll see the system on my image below.
Tore
« Last Edit: 15 Jan , 2016, 13:24 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #99 on: 15 Jan , 2016, 06:54 »
Conningtower hatch.
I am afraid my suggestion above does not give much of a torque to the shutting spring unless you secure the other ends. Therefore I believe the spring is split in the center and the split ends are locked on to the hingeshaft. I guess you can see the split on the images below.
Tore

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #100 on: 15 Jan , 2016, 07:03 »
TristanR... Very nice hatch... I wouldn't doubt the hand wheel turns as well..
Bill

Offline Roel

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #101 on: 18 Jan , 2016, 10:50 »
Woooow, just saw the intake shack, simply brilliant:)

Offline TristanR

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #102 on: 22 Jan , 2016, 12:44 »

Thanks Tore, I understand how those spring work better now thankyou, is it the same setup for the torpeddo hatch springs?

Bill, the wheel does not turn, but it also doesn't break off so easily any more!

Roel, Thanks! the intake stack is close to being done, it won't be super accurate, I am sacrificing accuracy for a cheaper print that is all in one piece.

[size=78%]I am finally putting in the slats now, my plan was to cut 2mm x 2mm squares of plastic and insert them into the slots, I have been careful not to use paint of filler so I can use plastic cement for a clean glueing experience.  [/size]
[/size][size=78%]The Trouble is, after doing the first few my assuption that they would be close to flush with the hull seems to be wrong in most of the reference photos I've seen.  It looks like they are recessed much deeper into the slot.  So I need a rethink on how I will do these now, If I set the depper into the slot there is not much to glue the top of the slat onto, and I don't want to have to custom gut each slat...[/size]

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #103 on: 22 Jan , 2016, 14:41 »
Hatch springs.
As far as the torpedo loading hatch conerns yes the springsystem is the same. The torpedo tube hatches are of course a different story. 
Tore

Offline TristanR

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #104 on: 01 Feb , 2016, 18:12 »
Thanks Tore, I will make some torp loading hatches soon.

the suppoerts are mostly done now.  Looking at them now I think they should be more recessed, it's hard to spot them in reference photos.  Maybe I just paint them very dark grey

The brass braces are helping to keep the hull sides tight onto the deck.

Began the conning tower too.  I'm going to buy some more 3D printed parts for the conning tower from shapeways.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/9TFXMUBA8/1-72-u-boat-type-viic-conning-tower-equipment?li=user-profile&optionId=59030619

[/size]
[/size]

[/size]There a various vents and drains to add in PE.

I drilled some drain holes and glued  on a length of L shaped plastic for the drain channel, I'm a bit worried it's too big though.

[/size]

Cheers!