Author Topic: Revell IXc 1/72  (Read 55034 times)

Offline Texchap

• Midshipman Cadet
Re: Revell IXc 1/72
« Reply #105 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 09:47 »
Dougie,  on another forum there has been much discussion on the upper hull whether it was Dunkelgrau 51 or the Blaugrau.   Some defaulted to your best guess listed for the U505 in your article which was dunkelgrau 51.   I see now there is a leaning towards Blaugrau.   That was my leaning looking at the photos.   What is your best guess now?   I actually have tried both on the revell kit.   Blaugrau just seems truer to the photos and the color shot of the 803.  i seek the council of the expert. 

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #106 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 10:12 »
Wow Glenn, you would almost need sunglasses to look at that build under strong light!   :P

Ernest

Can I paint up this boat with the red lower hull and a wide black boot stripe... and Schlickgrau upper?
Would that be taking "artistic license" too far?   
:D   nyaa haa haaaaaaaa

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #107 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 10:41 »
...and of course the (undocumented) pink highlights to the edges of tower & gunnery.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Texchap

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #108 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 10:57 »
You could paint it like operation petticoat.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 11:00 »
Hi guys,

Glenn, you might find this funny. A few weeks back I glued the hull and deck of the new IX together and was quite content doing a little sanding. My 4 year old daughter literally jumped on top of me and insisted see had a go at sanding. Then, when my back was turned, she went on got her kiddies' paints and started painting the lower hull red. It had to be red, didn't it!

Texchap - I put a question mark in my article because, quite frankly, I don't know if the upper hull colour corresponded to a known Kriegsmarine paint. Here is a screenshot from colour video footage of U 505 during the capture -

There are so many reasons why the colour you see on your computer may not be the same colour as the boat on the day. It is heavily weathered too, rusty on the upper hull and badly chipped on the tower.

I think there might have been a late war scheme of Blaugrau 58/1 on the upper hull and Blauschwarz 58/2 on the tower (as with U 805 and U 858). U 505 may have had this scheme, Blaugrau 58/1 on the upper hull, though the heavily weathering may have made it less blue.

For the tower - the entire tower was replaced when converted to Turm IV. I think the plating they used on the tower was different to other areas of the boat. It may have been thicker plating, I don't know, but it seems clear that the paint did not adhere well to the plating they used on U 505, U 805 and U 858. It could even be that the Blauschwarz 58/2 paint they used did not adhere well either.

Oh, and the hull wasn't red!

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #110 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 11:05 »
Glenn, you might find this funny. A few weeks back I glued the hull and deck of the new IX together and was quite content doing a little sanding. My 4 year old daughter literally jumped on top of me and insisted see had a go at sanding. Then, when my back was turned, she went on got her kiddies' paints and started painting the lower hull red. It had to be red, didn't it!

LOL tell your daughter she is awesome.    It's so obvious the lower hull was red, even a CHILD knows it!    hahahahaha
:D
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #111 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 15:21 »
Hi Dougie (having brain fade tonight)

in another thread I said I was going to clear my head and sort a timeline, you've saved me the trouble. A great piece of research. Where did you find the info on the turm II?
On the paint deterioration it is possible (probable) that the replaced tower had poorer primer compared to the bow section which was undamaged during the action with Flt. Sgt. Sillcock.

Glenn, don't forget the turm IV go faster yellow stripe. :)

Regards
Jon
« Last Edit: 13 Jan , 2014, 17:59 by Capt Kremin »
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Re: Revell IXc 1/72 :: plan in place!
« Reply #112 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 17:15 »
I think I have a plan in mind that will let me make the boat the way I want.   Mwaa haa haaaaa  8)

U-505 during the 5X refit!!!
13-Dec-1942  to  30-Jun-1943
  • Tower:  Turm IV tower was introduced
  • Tower armament:  Flakvierling on the lower wintergarten (my fave)
  • Deck gun: 105 deck cannon was removed during this fitting, but may still have been in place at the same time as the Flakvierling... who knows?  :D
  • Radars:  FuMO 30, FuMB 1 Metox radar detector
  • Upper colour: Hellgrau 50
  • Insignia:  large axe on both sides of tower, Olympic rings at front of tower
Now I just need to find someone who offers the 105 deck gun.  Anyone?

Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #113 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 17:54 »
Hi Glenn

Sounds plausible, haven't come across a 10.5cm gun yet, but if it helps it uses the same mount as the 8.8cm.

Regards
Jon
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline Texchap

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #114 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 19:48 »
Kit in progress.

Offline Texchap

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #115 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 19:50 »
CAPT Gallery getting his photo taken....

Offline Texchap

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #116 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 19:53 »
I'm trying to figure out how to replicate the spots where the conning tower was hit.   I'm also trying to find some 1/72 sailors to add to the deck.

Richard

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #117 on: 14 Jan , 2014, 06:54 »
"Interesting...   look at this:   http://www.modelbrass.com/revell_viic-installed.htm[/font]The photos of a VIIC with the installed Modelbrass inserts (with the HORRIBLE seller, Jason Overhulser)  are taken by Boris Nakropin.  He is the SAME person that is now selling the new PE 'inserts' for the Type IXC."

Hi Glenn,

all clear-signal for that matter: I have good experience dealing with B. Nakropin. I buyed from him via the german e-bay section a few photoetch sets for the VII (Revell). No problems at all and high-quality frets. AFAIK he is the only one who provides torpedo-tube-doors with hinges, so this doors are really three-D (Yankee Modelworks torpedo-doors have not that level of detail). Think there is more to come from his label for the new IXC.

But I agree with your statement that the flood holes of the Revell IXC are accurate and only have to cut out thorough. If you lost some rivets during sanding, I bet Archer-Transfer will supply a "Resin-Decal-Rivet-Welds-Sheet" soon for the new boat. By the way, I know that Revell buyed the license and the 3-D-Data for the IXC from this source:

http://www.tehnoart.eu/u-boot-ix-c-u-505-.html

A few years ago I asked them for the price for their IXC-Kit (sold out since Sep. 2012). During the E-Mail correspondence Tehnoart imply that Revell is interested to acquire the production license.

Regards

falo   

Offline Texchap

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #118 on: 14 Jan , 2014, 07:31 »
I love the deck guns on this technoart kit.  Are there any sources for aftermarket cast guns?   The plastic on the Revell leave much to be desired.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan , 2014, 07:33 by Texchap »

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #119 on: 14 Jan , 2014, 08:21 »
Hi Texchap

So far Schatton Modellbau have released a barrel set and CMK are due to release a weapons set and a weapons conversion set check accessories thread where I will list anything that becomes available.
Liking the Capt. Gallery photo diorama. whilst on CMK they do figures for the Revell Gato class, as does Hecker & Goros http://www.hecker-goros.de/html/figuren.html.

Hi falo

A little birdy told me that you will probably have to make do and use some of Archers existing rivet and weld sets.

Regards
Jon
« Last Edit: 14 Jan , 2014, 08:30 by Capt Kremin »
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".