Author Topic: Torpedo Trolley/dolly pic pic or diagram?? 5 pics so far Major update  (Read 5869 times)

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Natter 
I've seen a couple for a lot less money. I bought mine called "new", shipped to me for just under $60.00 US. I'll check for more.  As far as pdf, the book has a lot of pages in it. Heavy little thing also. 

Later Tim 

Just did a search on ebay and found a couple at $115. shipping $22 to $46 to US from Germany. 
« Last Edit: 06 Jul , 2018, 14:44 by 42rocker »

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
Just did a search on ebay and found a couple at $115. shipping $22 to $46 to US from Germany.
Yes, thanks. I found a a couple of german bookstores that offered it for about $130 incl shipping, and ordered one from there (I have a huge library with virtually all books and other materiel published on the topic of torpedoes and midget submarines, but missing this one until now... :-/ ).

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Natter 
Do you have the book 

The German U-Boat Base at Lorient France: August 1942-August 1943: Volume Three by Luc Braeuer ?Or any of his books in this series? Looking to find more pics of the U-505 as it comes back to Lorient after it was bombed on Nov 11t, 1942. Or an pics of its repair or an pics of that time. 

Later Tim

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Natter 
Should have added Trojca's book has a lot of material on midget subs. Lot's of pics and pages. 

Later Tim

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
Should have added Trojca's book has a lot of material on midget subs. Lot's of pics and pages.
Yes, hence my interest in it ("regular" uboats isnt of particular interest to me, besides their armament) :-)

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
Do you have the book 

The German U-Boat Base at Lorient France: August 1942-August 1943: Volume Three by Luc Braeuer ?Or any of his books in this series? Looking to find more pics of the U-505 as it comes back to Lorient after it was bombed on Nov 11t, 1942. Or an pics of its repair or an pics of that time.
Yes, I have all of Brauers books as far as I can tell (+ most/all of Rösslers Uboat-books and several more). I'd be glad to check them out for relevant photos, but currently most of my library is packed down due to refurbishment going on in my office...

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
As mentioned, I have a huge library (ca 30000 books). I'm in the prosess of making a proper inventory, but it's going very slow - especially as I'm adding more books than I'm able to register (I've spent an average of almost $7000 on books for the last 10 years or so :-/ ).

Anyway: I did a quick search and found some uboat-related titles (some are probably not relevant, and I'm sure I have more) which I put it in the attached list. Unfortunately, I was not able to include author/publisher/ISBN etc.I can't browse all of these of course, but if there's a couple of books you might suspect have relevant info, I can check when I have an opportunity (and if the book in question is readily available...).
PS: In addition to books, I have of course a lot of scanned WW2 archive-material from US, german, british and norwegian national and other archives/museums, including about 2000 german handbooks/manuals, and about 3 million pages of other (mostly) german stuff; for instance about 3000 digital copies of NARA RG242 microfilm rolls, including the (probably) close to complete surviving records of the U-boot KTB's.

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Natter 
My wife and I have as part of our other businesses, a small bookstore and we don't have 1/3 as many books as you do. Wow that many. Having a spreadsheet on everything is a good idea, we don't. At home while I have a good library on the subjects I work with I would guess it's under a thousand books. Up to about 25 on subs so far. Most tec, no general reading stuff in the sub area yet.   
If you find anything on the U505 from the bombed period Nov 11th, 1942 till repairs are well underway I would be very interested. I'm also looking for pics drawings info on the material between the pressure hull and the deck. For the U505 before it's rebuilt. U505 IXC, launched 24 May 1941.   
Also of course the torpedo trolley as I'm thinking of trying to build a nice detailed large scale one. Bucket list item. LOL   

Later Tim

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
The German U-Boat Base at Lorient France: August 1942-August 1943: Volume Three by Luc Braeuer ?Or any of his books in this series? Looking to find more pics of the U-505 as it comes back to Lorient after it was bombed on Nov 11t, 1942.
I digged out the book and had a look. Although U-505 is mentioned several times throughout the book, I can't find any photos of it.

Offline David83

• Lieutenant (jg)
Hello All

i found a good picture of the Torpedo Pistol transport box .
the guy are carring it .
br David

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
Quote from: David83
i found a good picture of the Torpedo Pistol transport box .
the guy are carring it .
It's one of three different containers for the conventional nose-mounted torpedo pistols - this one is used for pistols with combined mechanical/magnetic function (like the Pi2).

I'm attaching the uncropped photo (maybe taken during operation "Deadlighth" after the war?).
« Last Edit: 12 Dec , 2018, 15:30 by Natter »

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
Here is the container used for the mechanical pistols with ordinary whiskers (like the Pi1):

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
...and the one used for mechanical pistols without whiskers (like the Pi1a, which was combined with netcutters):

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Ok, that is an interesting carry box. 

Later 42rocker