Author Topic: U-45 WIP - Completed October 2019  (Read 106395 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: U-45 WIP
« Reply #135 on: 11 Apr , 2010, 03:58 »
Hi Bill, very impressive work all around!  U-45 looks to be a "museum quality" build thus far. 

Ernest 

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #136 on: 11 Apr , 2010, 14:28 »
Hello!

More progress photos!  After applying a grimy black wash to the pressure hull I finished it up with some clear flat sealer and installed it into the pressure hull.  This was probably a waste of time and effort, it is nearly impossible to actually see the details and the grimy black wash can't really be seen at all!  Anyway, it is all there now so if anyone looks very close in bright light they might actually see something!

A few minor details need to be taken care of and then the main brass deck can be finally fitted into place.  U-45 is starting to actually look like a U-Boat!

Enjoy the photos and please let me know if you have comments or questions.

Cheers,

Bill

Mr Bill:

A great job on the pressure hull. I struggled with the idea of whether to build a pressure hull for my boat, (U96) and, like you, decided to go ahead with it. But even though it is almost invisible I'm glad I did it. 

First off there is the sense of accomplishment that comes from doing a good job, which you sure did. Secondly, it is one of the few parts that wont display small errors. And finally, to quote Siara, "I'll sleep better at night knowing it's there."

I even did weld lines and weathering just to please myself.

Well done, Mr Bill.

Don

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #137 on: 13 Apr , 2010, 13:36 »
Thanks everyone for your comments and kind words!  I completed a few remaining minor things on the pressure hull and will glue the main deck into place today.  All of the dry fit tests have worked out well and I don't anticipate any problems getting the deck properly into place.  If all goes well, then I will proceed immediately with finishing the deck to hull seams.  More progress photos coming soon!

Cheers,

Bill

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #138 on: 14 Apr , 2010, 01:16 »
My p-hull is partial (full cone fwd, half stern, curved top only mid), but I think it would have been easier to make a full one! Geat work.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #139 on: 14 Apr , 2010, 17:22 »
My p-hull is partial (full cone fwd, half stern, curved top only mid), but I think it would have been easier to make a full one! Geat work.

I pretty much did the same, Rocket, but with a full cone on both the bow and stern and a curved mid top center.

I'm not so sure, however, that a full center section would be easier. The real trick here is to get the scratchbuilt hull to nest inside the Revell hull shape in such a way as to allow the two hull pieces to be joined with a minimum of fuss. Glenn Cauley did it, and offers his plans on the AMP site, but even he cautions that it took a lot of dry fitting and trimming to make it work.

One thought here might be to use a pin gauge wherever the P-hull bulkheads occur to allow for a better fit against the Revell profile.

My guess is, though, that regardless of how one builds that Pressure Hull it's going to take a fair amount of trimming and cutting to make it fit. But then, when it finally does, and despite all the vile oaths uttered along the way, we have the pride of making it all work. That magic moment (All too brief.) where one sets the model in front of them, opens a beverage of choice, and says, "Not bad...not bad at all."

Query: Is it possible to build models without profanity?  The world wonders.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #140 on: 14 Apr , 2010, 17:54 »
Hello Everyone,

The Amati brass deck is now permanently attached to the Revell hull.  The inner pressure hull is forever sealed in near darkness, never to be seen in full light again!.   

This step was easier than I had initially thought.  Except for one area near the 88 deck gun position, the Amati deck is an excellent fit into the Revell hull.  This may seem a bit odd as the Amati is a VIIB and the Revell is a VIIC.  After the CA had completely dried, I sanded the deck and hull edge flush and filled the small gap at the 88 gun position with styrene.  Still need some minor filling and sanding, but nothing major.  I am pleased with the result so far.  Enjoy the photos, your comments and questions are always welcome.

« Last Edit: 23 Apr , 2018, 08:05 by Mr. Bill »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #141 on: 15 Apr , 2010, 02:58 »
really looks good!

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #142 on: 15 Apr , 2010, 17:12 »
really looks good!

I say it looks fantastic!
Whats your judgement on the P. Hull visibility Bill. Is it worth the effort, or is it just art for the arts sake?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #143 on: 15 Apr , 2010, 22:37 »
Hello Siara,

In my opinion, it is not worth the effort.

My observation is that under normal indoor lighting conditions, no details are visible at a typical viewing range.  If you get really close, with your eyeball almost touching the model, you can just make out some dim basic shapes through the flood vents.   

Outdoors, under natural sunlight, it is possible to see some vague details & basic shapes at a close viewing range.  When you get very close and the angle of the sunlight is just right, it is possible to see some of the details.

Basically, once this model is displayed under a glass case, the pressure hull can't be seen through the flood vents or the deck holes.

Having said that, something is needed inside the hull to break up the direct light passing through the flood vents from one side to the other - a PVC pipe or styrene tube is probably enough for a pressure hull unless deck hatches are displayed in the open position allowing more light to enter.

Finally, there is some degree of personal satisfaction knowing that the detail is there even if no one else can see it. 

Cheers,

Bill

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #144 on: 15 Apr , 2010, 23:50 »
Thats my thoughts exactly. ;)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #145 on: 17 Apr , 2010, 20:28 »
Greetings Everyone,

Progress continues on U-45 with recent work on the deck mounted 20mm.  The early VIIB's were built with the 20mm located on the main deck rather than the conning tower.  The pedestal for these early 20mm's was different from the later versions, being taller and having a ammo clip rack fastened to the side of the pedestal.  I did not try to use the kit parts and decided to do everything from scratch and from the spares box, except for the pedestal base which I sanded very thin and the hand wheel.

I mainly used photos for my references and a few diagrams.  I was not able to find all of the details I wanted, so I had to assume certain things based on later versions. 

There are a few things remaining to be done such as the shoulder rests and gun sight which I will finish up in the next day or so.

Thanks for having a look.  If you have any questions or comments, please let me know!

Cheers,

Bill
« Last Edit: 23 Apr , 2018, 08:09 by Mr. Bill »

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #146 on: 18 Apr , 2010, 23:00 »
Hello Again!,

More snaps of the 20mm.  Better light today so I think these are a bit sharper than the previous set of photos.  I added some of the details and cleaned up some of the rough spots so it looks better than yesterday.  Just about ready for a coat of primer.  I am not really happy with the wheel, but could not come up with anything better, so it stays.  I may also change the shoulder rests as I think they may be just a bit out of scale.  I think everything else is OK and ready to go!

Working on the 88 gun today and trying to use the kit parts as much as possible.  So far it is working out well. 

Special thanks to Siara - I am using his photos from the u-552 build as a guide for the 88 gun.  I won't even attempt his level of detail and workmanship. but the photos are a fantastic reference!  Thanks Siara!

Cheers,

Bill
« Last Edit: 23 Apr , 2018, 08:12 by Mr. Bill »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #147 on: 19 Apr , 2010, 02:21 »
Bill, nice gun, detailing is excellent

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #148 on: 19 Apr , 2010, 20:08 »
Greetings!

Today I have some images of the 88mm deck gun to share.  I used most of the parts from the kit along with some old PE hand wheels and some stock styrene.  The kit parts require careful cleanup and some minor modification.  I used a variety of photos for guidance and referred to the section of the superb U-552 build by Sensei Siara that dealt with the deck gun.  There are a few minor details I might add later, but this basically a finished item at this stage ready for cleanup and primer.  One thing I am not sure about is how this gun appeared at commissioning - colours, brace positions, gun sights, and so on.  Any advice or suggestions?

Please let me know of you have questions or comments!

Cheers,

Bill
« Last Edit: 23 Apr , 2018, 08:15 by Mr. Bill »

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #149 on: 20 Apr , 2010, 02:22 »
Good job Bill.
I think the braces were stowed- as on your gun, and sights were not attached during commisioning ceremony.
i think....