Author Topic: What happened to all those boats ?  (Read 5886 times)

Cezar

What happened to all those boats ?
« on: 17 Jan , 2009, 18:45 »
Gentleman.
Mighty US produced Gato submarines in great numbers. Now, what happened to all those boats after the war ended ?
Scrap yards or did some found their way under other countries flag ?
If so, which ones ?
TIA,
Cezar.

Mr.Mox

Re: What happened to all those boats ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan , 2009, 02:26 »
Actually the US only did 73 Gatos, some 122 Baleos and 30 Tenches.

The Baleos and Tenches were a bit different having a different internal layout and a thicker skin, allowing for a deeper dive.

only 101 baleos and 11 Tenches did see action, and at that time the pray was small and far between. So it was the 73 Gatos who did most of the work.

Compared with Germanys output of VII the number of Gatos is surpricingly small. But the war in the pacific was a very different war than the war in the atlantic - for once the Japanese anti sub capability was quite bad compared to what the germans experienced in the atlantic.

I dont think many Gatos went in to other contries after the war - but some are still alive in museums

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/21034 Heres a Baleo.

Cheers/Jan
« Last Edit: 18 Jan , 2009, 02:32 by Mr.Mox »

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan , 2009, 04:48 »
usefull for the history (sometimes after the war under foreign flag; didn't italy use some boats?):
http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/04idx.htm

for conversions into after war boats:
http://ibs.eastcoastarmory.com/Csets2.htm
Sincerely

Ralf

Mike K

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan , 2009, 13:16 »
I guess you're asking for a quick history of the Sub Force, following W.W.II.
   Immediately after the war, the world, once again (Remember W.W.I?) assumed that this was the war that would end all wars. So the politicians (never known for their foresight or deep thinking) decided that there was no need for a large Navy, never mind a large sub force. The majority of the Boats went into "Mothballs", at New London, and other ports. But the Navy had kept a few to play with.
   AND, they'd gotten a couple of Type XXIs, from Germany.
   Their reaction to these Boats was, "WOW !! I want some of those."
   Then came the "Cold War". What a surprise, there were still tyrants and crazy people in the world.
   The people woke up, kicked the politicians out of their "Dream World" and money was allocated for weapons. Now the Navy could have their Type XXI boats, American style. These would become the "Tang" Class.
   But it takes time the design a new Submarine, from the ground up. What to do?
   Well, we've got all these fleet boats, why not modernize and streamline them? And so was born the "Greater Underwater Propulsion Power" (GUPP) program. US Submarine sailors, long known for their respectful, hard nosed attitude towards all things military, called the resulting subs "Guppys".

Note:   Jim Christley did a write up of the GUPP program in his "United States Naval Submarine Force Information Book". They were published by Graphic Enterprises of Marblehead, Ma. And are only slightly easier to find than copies of the Gutenberg Bible.

All three Classes of Fleet Boat (Gato, Balao & Tench) were use in the GUPP program, with many variations. The final, and predominant, version had enlarged batteries, and streamlined bow, superstructure and fairwater. There were three, main types, of fairwater, EB (Electric Boat) Sail, Portsmouth Sail and North Atlantic (or Glass) sail.
   Did it extend their lives? Well the last of the Guppies went out in '73. You be the judge.
   As for the Tangs, they weren't begun until 49 and the last one, USS Gudgeon (SS-567), was sold to Turkey in '87. USS Trout was decommissioned in '78 and last seen in Key West, in 2000, being used as a sonar target. All had decommissioned by 1980.

The last US diesel-electric sub built was USS Blueback (SS-581), Commissioned in 1959, decommissioned in 1990. She was the last US Diesel Boat in service.
   If anyone has more question, drop me a line, I'll give you anything I have.

DBF !!   Mike K

Cezar

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan , 2009, 15:52 »
Gentleman.
Thank you for the info.
Main part of my question was about fate of Gato and similar boats after the WW II ended.

I had heard rumors about quite few of them being sold to Latin America navies and one somehow acquired by Israel, demilitarized, used for running illegal arms shipments from Europe in mid 60s.

Now, this is only the coffee house rumor, I don
« Last Edit: 20 Jan , 2009, 06:55 by Cezar »

Mike K

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan , 2009, 10:08 »
Ok, Cezar, here goes.

I can document 67 boats transferred to foreign Navies. 64 Fleet type (Gato, Balao & Tench) and 3 Tangs.
   In descending order (by number transferred) they are Turkey - 20 plus 2 Tangs;  Brazil - 11, Italy - 5 plus 1 Tang;  Greece, Spain & Argentine - 4 each;  Peru, & Venezuela - 3 each;  Canada, Netherlands & Chile - 2 each;  Taiwan, Pakistan, Japan & Iran 1 each.

I show, none were ever transferred to Israel.

DBF
Mike K.

Cezar

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan , 2009, 18:48 »
OK, now we are talking, i can try to search more by Navies.
Thanks a million,
Cezar.

Mike K

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan , 2009, 10:50 »
   Glad to help, but this list shouldn't be considered the absolute final word. I'm almost positive the Taiwan has two Guppys, but I can't document it, so only one is listed.

Same thing goes for Israel. I have nothing on a US Boat going to Israel, nor do I remember ever hearing about one. But that's not to say it never happened. I just can't prove it, one way or the other.

DBF,
Mike K.

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr , 2014, 22:41 »
I find this to be interesting that 67 subs went to other countries.

Later Tim

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr , 2014, 19:06 »
I wish I could have bought one!

I do find it amusing that the US sells military tech. I know it's big $$$, but so is security! They sell fighter jets to Australia, but they redact some of the maintenance manuals on the hi-tehc stuff!!!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz