Author Topic: ..Lower hull bits..  (Read 2228 times)

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
..Lower hull bits..
« on: 24 Dec , 2008, 08:35 »
   There are (3) rectangular bits midway on the lower hull located near the keel..Iv'e never seen them discussed on any forum or seen them altered on any model build..They seem to be ignored..
   What are they and what should be done to them as far as modeling is concerned.. ?
                                                                           Bill in the U.S.A.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: ..Lower hull bits..
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec , 2008, 09:27 »
Hi Bill,

I think they are the main dive tank covers. I believe VIIBs had four per side, VIICs three. There are VERY few photos of them, though. The only decent period shots are of the covers on the VIIB U 99, which actually show the boat in drydock with the covers in the open position. They are in Steve Wiper's pictorial. Other than that there are photos of U 995 -

http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=2243

The Revell model has these covers slightly curved. Are the U 995 ones flat? Not sure myself.

When the covers were open they would rest upon the bar you see on the keel.

Merry Christmas to all,

Dougie

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
Re: ..Lower hull bits..
« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec , 2008, 10:18 »
    A picture's worth a thousand words...Many thanks, Dougie
                                  And a Merry Christmas to all, also.. !
                                                              Bill in the U.S.A.