Poll

TYPE VIIC

VIIC
2 (100%)
VIIC
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: 1/72 Pontos Models U-Boot Type VII C Super Detail Set  (Read 6917 times)

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Re: 1/72 Pontos Models U-Boot Type VII C Super Detail Set
« Reply #15 on: 13 Apr , 2015, 12:41 »
I too have many different detail sets for the 1/72 U-boats (say, VIIC or IXC) which I have acquired over the years: Eduard, Yankee Modelworks, U-Brass, AMP, WEM, Modelbrass, Nautilus, Griffon, Schatton, CMK, Tehnoart, RCSubs.

Yes, you could say that most all brass sets are "re-inventing the wheel" to some degree or another.  Some detail sets have more accurate constructions/details in particular items than other detail sets; some detail sets have items that are unique to their set and do not exist in other detail sets. 

It's really the choice of the modeller as to what s/he wants from a detail set... quality or quantity.    That will help determine which set(s) you get.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline pumpjet

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr , 2015, 18:45 »
Guys

Part 94 looks to be a simulated bolt. They can be replaced with miniature bolts and nuts from PSME.
Bolts fit right through the hole. Pricy but detail is what is about with the Pontos set. $30 for 20 6.6mm x .5mm bolts and nuts.
I don't know if posting part numbers are permitted here as this is my 1st pots.... I know...another newbie. Let me know and I will fill in the details.

I was reading that someone was looking for a 10.5cm deck gun.  Eduard Brasin series has 1 in kit form  #672053. I have the 88 gun with a Shatton turned barrel and it is awesome.

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: 30 Apr , 2015, 03:37 »
Welcome pumpjet
The subject of the 10.5cm has been discussed in a previous post, it is VERY over scale, the 8.8cm is fine. Posting part numbers is fine here.  In fact if you look in type IX accessories thread, it is full of them along with links of where to buy them.
Regards
Non
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline pumpjet

• Ensign
Hello

I got them from Precision Scale Model Engineering. Give Larry a call, he's a good guy

http://www.psmescale.com
PHONE: 508 478-3148

bolts  -  sbn-006169
nuts  -  hhb-00660

These replace part 94 if needed.

Bob

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr , 2015, 12:00 »
Hi Bob (pumpjet)... and welcome!   :)

Thanks for the info on the nuts & bolts... it's always nice to know where to get stuff like that.

Yes, the 10,5cm deck gun... <sigh>

The Eduard-Brassin gun set is beautifully made, but it is hugely oversized by roughly 22% too big.   We sent them a detailed analysis & report, but I have not heard if they are doing anything about it.    I hope they do something to correct it.   CMK was informed of the Eduard gun size issue, and is supposed to be releasing their own 10,5cm gun in an upcoming detail set.   We are still (patiently?) waiting for word on its release.

Cheers,
Glenn
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca