Author Topic: Torpedo Trolley/dolly pic pic or diagram?? 5 pics so far Major update  (Read 5865 times)

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
Quote from: 42rocker link
Found another. Right in the front.
Same situation from another angle:

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
Loading of a G7e(TIII):

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Thank You Natter for those pics. Someday should have enough info to make one that looks correct.

Here is another that I got from Dougie.

Later Tim

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
Quote from: 42rocker
Here is another that I got from Dougie.
A little OT, but this is a very strange photo: The tool (gerät 336) mounted in the nose of the warhead is used for handling the head in a depot/arsenal (while the head is standing vertical). I don't understand why they even would have this onboard a uboat...  ???
Could it be a US "reconstruction"?

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
The picture that I posted was from Dougie and I believe was taken between 11/10/1942 and 11/20/1942. So do not believe it is US made.
Interesting information however. Thanks for pointing it out.

Later Tim

Offline David83

• Lieutenant (jg)
As far as i know the torpedos on german boats where always stored without pistol for saefty purpos .only short before the torpedos where loadet into the tubes the pistol where screwed in the torpedos .
There are some pictures around where you can see the pistol storage Containers in the forward torpedo compartment of some boats ..
br David

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
David83Thanks for that info. Love to get more info.
Later Tim

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
The picture that I posted was from Dougie and I believe was taken between 11/10/1942 and 11/20/1942. So do not believe it is US made.
Interesting information however. Thanks for pointing it out.
Ok. Just asking since U-505 was used for some sort of fundraising-campaign-tour in the US in 1945/46, and I though they might have displayed a torpedo like that. The photo really makes no sense...

Quote from: David83
As far as i know the torpedos on german boats where always stored without pistol for saefty purpos only short before the torpedos where loadet into the tubes the pistol where screwed in the torpedos.
Correct. The item I commented on above has no relevance in this regard though, as it's a tool solely used for (man)handling the heads while in a vertical position.There were two other "tools" as well: One lid with a lifting-eye used for lifting the head, as well as the tool used for mounting the head to the torpedo. In addition, there was a plain lid used to cover the pocket (two variants: One made of steel and one made of wood).

Inside the pocket there were a small canvas-bag with the mounting-screws for the pistol, a rubber o-ring for the pistol and spare copper-wire for the sealing of the safety-impeller.
I have attached two photos showing the plain lid (steel-variant) used to cover the pocket.
« Last Edit: 21 May , 2018, 15:46 by Natter »

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
Quote from: Natter
There were two other "tools" as well: One lid with a lifting-eye used for lifting the head, as well as the tool used for mounting the head to the torpedo.
Here are photos showing these tools. The first shows the simple lid for lifting the head, the second shows three pieces of the tool for mounting the head stacked on eachother (there's also a special lifting spreader for this - not showing, allowing the head to be lifted vertically, then turned to a horisontal position).

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Natter   I wish that I knew as much as you folks do. I'm just a learning. I reviewed the photo group that I received from Dougie and believe that I can see that item in several of the photos. I sure can tell that the photo group is from just after the Nov. 10th 1942 bombing. I going to post another pic. showing everything. Dougie if there is a problem with my posting it either take it down or let me know and I'll take it down. I'm thinking the photo was taken around Nov. 15th to 17th due to the Cap/boat log statements.   
Later Tim
« Last Edit: 21 May , 2018, 19:17 by 42rocker »

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
I sure can tell that the photo group is from just after the Nov. 10th 1942 bombing. I going to post another pic. showing everything.
Ok, so the torpedo in question was kept in the external storage. I guess that makes more sense, as the handles of the tool might have been useful in handling the torpedo during the loading process.News to me, thus even more interesting :-)Thanks!

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Ok, should have added on the second pic, they have used the trolley to move that torpedo forward from a rear above deck storage container and are about to roll the damaged torpedo over the side. The bow area of the U-Boat did not receive damage, to speak of. 
Later Tim

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
In reply #7 falo said that on page 19 or 20 etc 
Well it's page 19 in the Uboottyp IXC book - Vom Orginal zum Modell by Fritz Kohl & Axel Niestle. A great pic of a Torpedo trolley I might add.
Many Thanks for all of the help on this. 

Later Tim 

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
More good pics are in   
"UBOOTWAFFE Marine - Kleinampfverbunde 1939 - 1945 by Waldemar Trojca - pages 407 & 408 

Major update on this - Would you believe almost every torpedo loading pic on a type IXB or IXC is using a trolley. Look close at the pics. You do not see any support rails / bars or whatever going out to the sides for support like in the type VII boats where the crew had to set one up. Look again and you might see the wheels. Look at the 4 rails that the torpedo sits on. Of course where would you store this? Well there was a lifeboat/rowboat in the back just under the deck also. So still looking for more info. 

Later Tim

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
More good pics are in   
"UBOOTWAFFE Marine - Kleinampfverbunde 1939 - 1945 by Waldemar Trojca - pages 407 & 408
I'm looking for this book, but it's rare (and expensive...) :-(
Anyone happen to have a pdf of this?