Author Topic: Question on the orientation of the bulkheads under the command control room  (Read 385 times)

Offline yvesvidal

• Midshipman Cadet

Folks and experts,

If we look at the command control room, the bulkheads are shaped in this way on the main level:

)  command control room (

This makes sense to me, if a leak or a collision with the sail was happening, the room could be flooded while still protecting the forward and rearward sections of the submarine (not that it would matter anyway). It is also more in line with how the pressure hull was created: two sausages linked by the command room.

If we look at the ballast level (lower level), the bulkheads are shaped in this direction, according to the blue-prints:

___(  Main Ballast   )____

That arrangement does not make sense to me for the following reasons:

1 - It is a brutal change in the structure of the bulkheads, making them less solid and resilient.
2 - It seems to be contradicting some of the pictures I have seen of the command module being built at shipyards.
3 - Since the ballast can and will be submitted to higher pressure than the Fuel/MO tanks located on either sides, it would make sense to place the concavity of the bulkheads in the other direction to protect the fuel tanks and batteries compartments.

I would like the opinion of the experts on this topic and would like to understand why the blue-prints are presented the way they are. What am I not getting?

Thanks in advance.
Yves

(Sorry, I could not post pictures or drawings to help with this question).
« Last Edit: 11 Mar , 2020, 07:26 by yvesvidal »

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
Hi
I see what you are getting at and an expert here might have more detailed info.
I'm not sure why the top is concave and the ballast tanks are convex.

But my interpretation to build my 1/48th model is in the picture.
Note the end bulkheads are not correctly concave/convex due to modeling limitations.
Cheers
« Last Edit: 11 Mar , 2020, 13:50 by Raymic1 »

Offline yvesvidal

• Midshipman Cadet
Thanks Raymic, but your picture does not help me, although it is a beautiful implementation.

In the lower level we have this:

___Rear-Batteries_|__Fuel-Tank__(___Main-Ballast___)__Fuel-Tank__|___Front-Batteries

Knowing that the main Ballast (#3) is undergoing more pressure, I am simply surprised of the orientation of the Main Ballast walls.
Physics would recommend these to be the other way around such as )___Main-Ballast___(

Just wondering.

Yves

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr

Well hey, stranger! Glad to see you put your space ships away and came back over to the dark side. ;D

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you. Sorry I can's shed some light on your question but this is the place to come.
Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722.