Author Topic: Type VIIC/41 - Work in Progress  (Read 58603 times)

bracco_n

Type VIIC/41 - Work in Progress
« on: 27 Jan , 2009, 14:18 »
Hello everybody! Some weeks ago I started workin on my model. I've already drilled all the holes in the hull and in the conning tower, I've also started to make the new welds. I'll post pictures later. I started work on the Schnorkel modification we've been discussing in other thread.
I assembled the conning tower, Schnorkel and its housing, and the middle section of the upperdeck using tape. I took a little bar of plastic taken from the sprue, and heating it with a match I could give it the shape I need. Here are some pictures

CG, snort and it's housing, and the upperdeck assembled with tape.

My first attemp to make the outter pipe. I'll improve it with some putty and sanding

(not a great pic) the pipe shown where it will be placed.

What I'm trying to recreate

that's what I've got untill now. Will post pictures of the welds and open holes later.
I hope you like what I'm doing!
Nicolas

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: Type VIIC/41 - Work in Progress
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan , 2009, 14:23 »
Hi Nicolas, pretty nice job with the sprue.  I am interested in seeing more of your build.  Have you decided which u-boat you are going to do yet?

bracco_n

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan , 2009, 18:56 »
I appreciate your comments. I haven't decided which boat will it be, I've got some ideas but I'm not fully decided. I want to build U-300 returning from one of her succesful patrols but couldn't find any photos of that particular boat.

bracco_n

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan , 2009, 20:41 »
I finished the pipe! It's not that detailed but that's all I can do, I tried to make some smaller details but I'm not that skilled. It's my first attempt at building something from scratch and I'm pretty happy with it! (I know it's small but it's a big step for me)

The forward end of the pipe (the one that connects to the snort mast) was made out a nut. I sanded the edges (it's a pentagon as you know) so that it's (almost) circular. I tried to add some more detail but I just can't, I'll leave it as it is.

Now I'll leave that and will switch to other thing. I have to finish the welds, build the piping inside the CG and start thinking what am I going to do with the P-hull (i'm not buying YMW one for sure!)

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan , 2009, 00:02 »
First it looks like a small conversion, but it changes the look of the boat a lot!!

I like it!

:)
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan , 2009, 04:26 »
Nice to go the extra and add the detail!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

bracco_n

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan , 2009, 08:22 »
Thanks for your comments guys!
Work has begun on the welds:

You can also see the drilled holes.

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan , 2009, 10:49 »
Bracco_n what are you using as reference for the weld lines. I have feeling you are putting the welds in the wrong places. The pressure hull was made from prefabricated sections, welded together. These sections were basicaly the sheet of steel wraped on the circular ribs.
Apart from welds joining the sections, there were no more vertical welds inbetween.
The book by R.C.Stern "Type VII U-Boats" page 30-32.

Seems to me you have followed the pattern of the weld lines on the sadle tanks, which has nothing to do with the weld lines on the pressure hull.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan , 2009, 11:32 »
Bracco_n what are you using as reference for the weld lines. I have feeling you are putting the welds in the wrong places. The pressure hull was made from prefabricated sections, welded together. These sections were basicaly the sheet of steel wraped on the circular ribs.
Apart from welds joining the sections, there were no more vertical welds inbetween.
The book by R.C.Stern "Type VII U-Boats" page 30-32.

Seems to me you have followed the pattern of the weld lines on the sadle tanks, which has nothing to do with the weld lines on the pressure hull.

Hi Siara. Do you have any picture of the pressure hull of the stern section? I have seen that great picture of the 88 gun mounting on the bow, do you have any thing like that for the stern?

bracco_n

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan , 2009, 14:01 »
Siara, as a reference I've used Rokket's model and U-673 been build by Glenn. I think that I am more or less putting the welds were they put it on their models.
These are some pictures from Glenn's build:

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan , 2009, 14:15 »
I dont wonna sound like know it all, or criticise fellow modeller, but i think the only weld lines should be the welds between the sections (vertical ) , and horizontal- between the sheets of steel used for wraping around the ribs.

My personal opinion based on observation of the pictures. ;)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan , 2009, 14:26 »
Once again Siara has bet me to a reply while I was typing my reply ;)

Here this the weld lines for U-995. Look like the horizontal lines are correct (2 step down), however, seem a few extra vertical line compare to U-995.

Mr.Mox

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan , 2009, 14:36 »
Heres another one showing some of the welds on the saddeltanks

Additional images here: http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=2243

I would seem that some relatively large sheets of steel has been used, propably rolled in shape before welding.

I use stretched sprue to simulate weldseams - soak in liquid glue, attach and texture with the blunt side of a blade.

Cheers/Jan

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan , 2009, 15:02 »
Jan  ;D  We are talking about the welds on the pressure hull.
Simons picture proves me right.
The only vertical lines, are these between the segments, with horizontal lines being the welds between sheets of steel. Look at the red lines on the pictures i posted earlier, and at Simons picture.

Mr.Mox

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan , 2009, 15:10 »
Jan  ;D  We are talking about the welds on the pressure hull.

I know, the lower part on my picture is the pressure hull, unless im completely in need of my bed ?  ;)

I mentioned the saddeltanks, because on the Kiel sub, the saddeltanks are more or less smooth - generally its a difficult task doing 1:72 weldseams without overdoing them - allso notice how little "oilcanning" is present on the pressurehull and the saddletanks, even on a boat that was sailing in active service until mid. 60.ties or so.

Cheers/Jan