Author Topic: Fokker DrI Build  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Fokker DrI Build
« on: 16 Dec , 2012, 06:13 »
Hi all, following are some WIP photos of my current project.  The model is Roden's 1/32 scale Fokker DrI.  It is a good basic kit.  I decided to forgo buying any aftermarket detail sets and to build mostly out of box, adding some detail through scratchbuilding or spare parts from my collection of left over stuff from previous builds.  I decided to depict Ernst Udet's aircraft during the late spring of 1918 before his Jasta recieved the DVII.  The paint job is striking, if a bit tedious to mask - so far ir is turning out ok.  The build itself is going smoothly as the model goes together well, needing only a little putty here and there.
The white hatch looking thing is the engine access panel that will be installed under the engine on the fuselage.  I made it out of evergreen sheet and some leftover rivets.  The spark plug wires on the engine are sections of invisible thread glued into place.  You can't make it out well in the picture, but I made a seat cushion out of putty and weathered it to add a lived in look.  The seatbuilts are parts left over from the HGW set I used for the Arado build.  There a a few other minor detailing items that really aren't worth mentioning.
The figure is on from ModelCellar and is a very nice quality little kit.  It turned out pretty well and will make a nice addition to the scene.
Enjoy the photos!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: Fokker DrI Build
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec , 2012, 14:28 »
Some more progress yesterday and today.  Painting the streaky Fokker camo on the wings and forward fuselage was tricky to bring off correctly and I was only partly successful.  Also the wing strut is a bit too short for the lower wing and I had to add a bit to the bottom of the struts to get the center and lower wings to align correctly.  I also added the right side oil or fuel filler, which did not come with the kit.  I scratchbuilt one from some spare parts and drilled a hole in the engine cover.  The machineguns and ammo/ejection chutes were a little fiddly to get aligned but in the end the went into place. 

Enjoy the photos,

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec , 2012, 00:07 »
Wow, your detail is most excellent! I really like the trenchcoat painting, and the ammo belts and the engine. Very nice work.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec , 2012, 08:25 »
Another impressive build Ernest, the paint scheme is my favourite ever for Dr I's.
Congrats for the great work and choice!
SG