Author Topic: VIIC main drainage slot length difference  (Read 3705 times)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
VIIC main drainage slot length difference
« on: 23 Dec , 2008, 06:10 »
Hi guys,

An updated version of the Type VIIC Free-Flooding Vent Patterns article can be found in the library section. The U-Brass set is covered, and there are now a number of additional patterns given for individual boats.

In this version there is an explanation of how the main drainage slot was a different length on either side. I don't think it has been discussed in forums before. If you have thoughts on the subject please share.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
Re: VIIC main drainage slot length difference
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec , 2008, 07:02 »
  Hello Dougie....Question..Where's the "Library" section on this forum.. ???
                                                  Bill

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec , 2008, 08:02 »
Hi Bill,

Oops... :) Should have said the articles are on the main AMP website. If you goto the link "Click here to go to AMP website" on the top right hand side of this page, then click on library on the left.

Thanks,

Dougie

Offline Bad Karma

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec , 2008, 08:09 »
hi Dougie,

Very very very nice,thanks.I like all you`re articals.

my best regards,
Ron.

________
Let's just say I was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. That's all it was: curiosity.

Jim Morrison

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec , 2008, 11:45 »
Hi Dougie!
Good job on all the PDF articles.
Im happy that all the work ive done on the model so far is accurate according to what you wrote there. It all look spot on.
One thing.
In the article you stated that all the measures for the main slot, and forward flood holes were taken regarding possition of the railing of the 88mm gun. It says that the railings started at the same point on deck.
I came accross the picture of the U-552 which clearly shows the railings to have different lengths. Can you clarify the situation for me please, as it drills the hole in my brains, at the moment, and bearing in mind i have to make set of railings for my boat soon it is big question mark.
On other hand- look at the barrel of the gun- 5 stencils of sunken ships- not many boats done that. ;D

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec , 2008, 13:19 »
Hi Siara,

Well noticed! There are always one or two exceptions when discussing VIICs - always things that don't conform to the usual pattern or the norm. You are of course entirely right about the position of the front rail in this photo of U 552.

I needed a reference point in my article and I thought the front railing was the best option. They almost always were the same on both sides...with only a few exceptions!

As a matter of interest, the earliest VIICs (U 69 and U 96) had only one horizontal bar in the deck railings. These boats were modified to have the two horizontal bars at some stage. The two bars became the most common VIIC style.

In the earliest photos I have of U 552 the boat has the two horizontal bars. You are doing U 552 with the breakwaters, correct? The boat at that time looked like -

In this early image you can see (if you look closely) that the position of the front of the deck railings started at the same place on both sides. On the port side the railing enters the deck near the 88mm ammo hatch. However, in the later image you posted (without breakwaters), the railing on the port side enters the deck WAY behind the ammo hatch. So the port railing on U 552 was modified at some stage. This did happen now and again. For example, U 201 had a slightly different port railing during one patrol than it did on others.

It is also notable in the image above that two horizontal stanchions are missing about midway along (on both sides). This was unusual.

Thanks for pointing out the railing.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec , 2008, 13:31 »
That clears lot of my doubts.
Brilliant photograph. Never seen it before. It also shows the half- circular decking plate in front of the gun- part that was missing on later configuration of U-552. I have this part in my PE, and was wondering if to fit it or not. Now i will. ;D