Author Topic: RE: U-BOAT COLORS AND MARKINGs..  (Read 3227 times)

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
RE: U-BOAT COLORS AND MARKINGs..
« on: 02 Jan , 2009, 16:15 »
      I just finished going over,for the umpteenth time, the color schemes looking for the proper color of the pressure hull..Can it be assumed that when the upper hull is called out it's not just the outer "skin" being considered but also the same paint being used on the p-hull..
      It is mentioned that the saddle tanks were painted the same color up to the p-hull..
      But what about the p-hull...it wasn't as easily accessable..would another type/color be used ?
                                                      Regards/Cheers..  Bill

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
Re: RE: U-BOAT COLORS AND MARKINGs..
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jan , 2009, 17:47 »
I haven't given that much thought but I would think the P-hull would be the same color as the outeer hull.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 03 Jan , 2009, 07:08 »
Hi Bill,

I avoided this subject in my article as I wanted to avoid misinterpretating the painting regulations. I can tell you what I think the regs are saying but don't take this as gospel. I'm assuming that Au

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #3 on: 03 Jan , 2009, 07:53 »
   Hi Dougie...I see what you mean..I believe I would have "skirted" that subject as well ! It's reminds me of when i worked In the defense industries (torpedos, unmaned drones etc.) working to military specs. and standards.
                (Example..paint the bottom of the bolt before it goes in the hole?)
          The governments ideas of something as simple as paint application (and other build techniques) can be a bit daft ! Perhaps that why i raised the p-hull question, though...I used to work with those standards..    Thanks for the reply..I understand completely
                                                        Regards /Cheers... Bill

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 03 Jan , 2009, 07:58 »
Hi Bill,

You're welcome.

Cheers from Dougie in the old country

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #5 on: 03 Jan , 2009, 08:09 »
So by reading that.... I gather I"M RIGHT!!!!!   Yesssssss!!!! I knew it would happen sooner or later. I can interpet any way I want so that makes me right.  :D

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jan , 2009, 17:30 »
I checked out the same thing for Gatos, could only find late '30s info on Coast Guard boats. Same inner but exposed bits (equivalent for our purposes to p-hull) was "red lead" anti-foul, others also covered with other paint. It's so sketchy and removed from Gatos that it doesn't seem helpful except in broad logic. Just don't paint it pink.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz