Author Topic: DKM Bismarck in 1/350 Scale  (Read 30271 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: DKM Bismarck in 1/350 Scale
« Reply #30 on: 07 Mar , 2010, 17:37 »
Those turrets look good, and menacing!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 07 Mar , 2010, 19:07 »
Ah, I can see now in the first picture, how the big turrets lock in place but still turn after the deck is in position.

Nice colour for the teak deck.  It looks just like the teak on my boat should look when it was brand new.

If you could understand what I was talking about regarding the decking in the'Sail' thread about the ship's cannon.  The deck on Bismark here is an excellent example of 5-step butt planking, the most common and strongest.  You can see how it shows where the support beams are underneath the deck, and the joint location repeats on the same beam every 5 planks. 

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #32 on: 08 Mar , 2010, 01:11 »
Thank Wink, I'm glad they are almost finished.  Lots of tiny PE parts to fiddle with on those.

Ernest

Those turrets look good, and menacing!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #33 on: 08 Mar , 2010, 01:13 »
Hi Pat, now that I have a visual reference your detailed description of decking is clear now.  Sometimes I need pictures to wrap my head around a technique!

Ernest

Ah, I can see now in the first picture, how the big turrets lock in place but still turn after the deck is in position.

Nice colour for the teak deck.  It looks just like the teak on my boat should look when it was brand new.

If you could understand what I was talking about regarding the decking in the'Sail' thread about the ship's cannon.  The deck on Bismark here is an excellent example of 5-step butt planking, the most common and strongest.  You can see how it shows where the support beams are underneath the deck, and the joint location repeats on the same beam every 5 planks. 

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 08 Mar , 2010, 16:31 »
Yes, for sure a picture is worth 1,00 words.  It's too bad I'm having so many computer and photo problems or I could scan things in for you. 

When/if you ever try doing a real wood, planked deck, take a close look at the way the joints are staggered on the Bismark deck.  You want the joints to be the maximum distance possible between the next joint, and as I said, 40 feet is the usually longest plank.

I think on the Bismark, it might not have alternated the joint stagger (1-3-5-2-4), but might have had them as 1-2-3-4-5.  (My computer's also very slow to go back a page and open up a picture), but the reason would be that Bismark doesn't rely on the deck for strength the same way as a wooden warship would.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #35 on: 16 Mar , 2010, 15:31 »
Three part update today.  This build is turning into a "Touch up the touch ups." type of build.  The different colors/shades for the superstructure is turning out to be a challenge.  Also detailing the smaller guns with turned metal barrels and some PE stuff is eye-crossingly tough - at least for me.  It all means progress is steady but very slow.  Anyway, without further ado the pictures follow.  The first set will be some superstructure shots, before sealing with Future and weathering.  Set two of the pics will be a mix of the secondary battery and the 10.5 cm AA guns before priming and painting.  The final post will finish up the 10.5's and show the single 3.7 cm I have finished construction on.

Hmm, the upload folder is full.  I will post the pictures in the Gallery "On the Bench" section for now.  I'll post the photos to this thread after the upload folder is enlarged.

Enjoy the pictures!

Ernest
« Last Edit: 16 Mar , 2010, 15:47 by Greif »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #36 on: 20 Mar , 2010, 01:51 »
that dang thing gets full all the time, we've just added 25meg. checking the gallery...

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #37 on: 21 Mar , 2010, 11:16 »
Minor progress today.  I installed blast bags on the Main Gun turrets, they are made out of Blue Tack that I tectured and painted a canvas color.  The turrets have been weathered and only need a matt coat to be complete.  I also finished the 2.0 cm AA guns, which got new turned metal barrels.  The flak Vierlings also got a couple of PR parts.

Ernest 

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #38 on: 24 Mar , 2010, 00:27 »
it all looks excellent, love the bags and the detail

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #39 on: 29 Mar , 2010, 09:31 »
I have made a good bit of progress on the superstructure.  Construction goes pretty fast once painting and the many touch ups are complete.  The parts are going together pretty well, and I have only had to resort to a little trimming and sanding to get things to fit.

Enjoy,
Ernest

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #40 on: 29 Mar , 2010, 09:34 »
Thanks Wink!

it all looks excellent, love the bags and the detail

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #41 on: 04 Apr , 2010, 02:32 »
A bit more progress to report.  The superstructure is complete, and I am glad for it!  All that remains is to gloss coat an weather it.  I painted the white circles on the deck.  I don't have a decal hakenkreuz in the right size so I ended up making a templete and painting them on.  They turned out pretty average, but get the job done I suppose.  I also painted the two Arado aircraft.  Unfortunately I ended up with the dreaded "orange peel" effect for some reason - I'm not sure why as other items I painted that day turned out just fine.  Fortunately, the scale is small enough it is not very noticable, unless one shoots a closeup photo that is!

Enjoy!

Ernest     

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #42 on: 04 Apr , 2010, 03:50 »
she feels big! Nice airplane, and coming along well, looking good

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 07 Apr , 2010, 16:10 »
Looking good Ernest.  At least in those photos, I don't see the orange peel finish on the aircraft.

Not sure how much weathering you plan to do, she was an almost new ship after all.  What are your plans?

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #44 on: 08 Apr , 2010, 01:16 »
Thanks Pat.  I was lucky that the Arado is small in this scale so the orange peel does not show up very much.  I am going to do very light weathering effects on the model.  All the reference photos I have looked at show very little if any rust.  I plan to use a greyish wash on the superstructure, much the same shade as I did for the Main Gun turrets.

Ernest

Looking good Ernest.  At least in those photos, I don't see the orange peel finish on the aircraft.

Not sure how much weathering you plan to do, she was an almost new ship after all.  What are your plans?