Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 572815 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #3930 on: 29 Oct , 2018, 04:13 »
Don.
The exhaust gases take the easiest way, eg. where you have the smallest resistance. Depending upon the trim of the submarine at the end of the blowing you make your choice as to which sequence you are blowing. If one of the MBT is empty before the other you shut the exhaust blowing to same while blowing the other, if not, the exhaustgas shall escpape via the flood gates of the MBT already empty and you would`t be able to drain the other MBT completely. The exhaustblowing is "surfaceblowing" and is the final touch of the surfacetrim. In fact you have the same effect blowing by air at larger depth. Hence you have to take in to consideration the trim of the sub while blowing , f.inst a bow up trim of 25 degrees means 2 kgcm2 smaller counterpressure in MBT 5 than MBT 1, hence if blowing with equal air pressure you shall drain the MBT 5 sooner than MBT 1 and if not compensated, upset the trim further.
  Tore
« Last Edit: 29 Oct , 2018, 14:46 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3931 on: 29 Oct , 2018, 04:53 »
Don.
Furher to my answer above is an image showing at a bow down angle of 25 degrees you have approximately 20 kg/cm2 higher counterpressure at MBT5 than MBT1.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3932 on: 29 Oct , 2018, 17:20 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

The reason for my question - let's say the U-Boat has just surfaced with the ballast tanks partially blown with compressed air and is in the RFO configuration:
1. Now we completely blow MBT 1 with exhaust.

An enemy aircraft is spotted and the U-Boat must dive at once:
2. We vent MBT 3 and MBT 5 (just like a normal diving process)
3. Once the U-Boat's bow and bridge spray deflector are at the surface level
4. Then they vent MBT 1

Now the U-Boat can escape the enemy aircraft with the emergency procedure. However, if MBT 1 was partially flooded when the enemy aircraft were spotted:
5. Would the partially flooded MBT 1 cause any delay when attempting to reach the proper diving angle?

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3933 on: 30 Oct , 2018, 01:17 »
Don.
If you are surfacing in hostile waters with enemy air superiority you have to be prepared for a crashdive any time. I guess there are two different theories here, the RN WW2 procedure would be to use the empty Q tanks at the crashdive, whereas  the germans probably would surface with the Untertriebcelle (Q) filled. I don`t think the partially filled MBT 1 would delay the diving in case you are considering using dynamic force (propellers) as long as the propellers are properly submersed. Again the exhaustblowing is the final touch of the surfacing and is carried out to maintain the proper surface trim for cruising on the surface.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3934 on: 15 Nov , 2018, 00:13 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All,

I just applied for the LLC with a Registering Agent for the State of Georgia (total cost $189.00) and that will take about 15 days before "Kristallklar Publishing, LLC" will become an official publishing company. After that project is completed, I will apply for a US Copyright ($55.00) for "Skizzenbuch: U-Boat Type VII C Project", I'm not sure as to how long the US Copyright process will take. Then I plan on initially permitting a free download of the PDF file on this AMP website (If that is acceptable) and the Subcommittee website for their members only. Perhaps other websites later - I'm not sure at this time.

I have copy protected the PDF file with a unique password run through a four (4) rotor German Naval Enigma Machine Simulator generating the encryption for the file permissions, but as most internet users are aware; any PDF security can be hacked. However, one must consider that Skizzenbuch will have US Copyright protection as any published book and is entitled to the same copyright enforcement. I'm not worried about someone giving a copy of the Skizzenbuch PDF to a friend. However, the only protection that I am looking for is that nothing is modified without mine and my contributor's permission/control.

I will keep all informed about my progress with the Skizzenbuch distribution...

Regards,
Don_

Note: In addition, there will be a folder named "Wallet" (not copy protected) which contains eight large drawings that are referenced in Skizzenbuch.
« Last Edit: 15 Nov , 2018, 00:48 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3935 on: 15 Nov , 2018, 02:27 »
Don.
Wonderful news, I must admit I am not very conversant as to the copyright business and cannot comment same, but am sure you take the proper steps to protect the Skizzenbuch. it contains a lot of work and it is too bad you shall have extra costs in addition to all the sweat and toil. I am looking forward to the final product and wish you all the best. The Skizzenbuch would be better than any manuals we had available when taking over the U- 995. Good luck!
Tore

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #3936 on: 16 Nov , 2018, 11:47 »
Hi Don,

Thanks for the update on your Skizzenbuch. Just let us know how can we can be of assistance and we'll help.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3937 on: 04 Dec , 2018, 00:59 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All,

I just got my "Kristallklar Publishing, LLC" from the State of Georgia, and I have applied for a US Copyright for "Skizzenbuch: U-Boat Type VII C Project"... After the copyright is processed and I get an ISBN number I will update the Publisher page and place a downloadable PDF file on the AMP website and on the Subcommittee website for distribution.

Well over a year ago. I started compiling information and data on the U-Boat Type IX C and the C40. I guess that will be my next project. I have gotten early-on information about the proper arrangement of a book from Dougie Martindale, so that will be one of the guiding factors in the next Skizzenbuch.

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3938 on: 04 Dec , 2018, 01:45 »
Don.
You are an inveterate enthusiast starting a new giant project after your Skizzenbuch. I wish you all the luck with your new project.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3939 on: 04 Dec , 2018, 08:44 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I will most likely be asking you to review the type IX mechanical schematics and my analysis of how things work. It's always good to have a 2nd opinion! Simon is going to visit U-505 at the Chicago Museum of Science and industry, Technical Museum U-995 at Laboe, the U-Boot-Museum in Cuxhaven, and the Technical Museum U-Boat Wilhelm Bauer (U-2540) this winter along with Mark Hessburg. I wish I could have tagged along, but the Sunroom and the LLC/Copyright just drained all of my of funds for next year...

I hope Simon has much better luck going to Chicago than we had in 2009 and also when touring U-505 at the museum. When Maureen and I visited U-505 they would not allow any interior photos to be taken on the interior guided tour; the tour moved too quick and the lighting was very dim so you could not see much to begin with (It really sucked). I could only get exterior photos of U-505... That was a waist of money and a three and trip to Chicago got messed-up by a 1 day weather delay at the very beginning - hung at the Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson International Airport over night - then hotel reservation at the Chicago Hyatt wouldn't allow us to stay for the 3rd day - so we had to find another hotel for the scheduled 3 day trip. To add insult to injury, all Delta flights were full on the last day because our reservation was for the previous day, so we had to find another airlines (American) to get back home.

I HATE AIRLINES because when things go very wrong their passengers/customers are on your own and they assume no responsibility (Everything is an act of God), and you have to fight to get your money back from the cancelled/missed flight!

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 04 Dec , 2018, 08:46 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3940 on: 04 Dec , 2018, 10:08 »
Don.
I have briefly looked at the IXC which is, apart from a few exceptions, based on the same technique as the VIIC s and  I shall be happy to participate in the coming IXC discussions for your next Skizzenbuch.  To be quite frank, I planned a few years back to visit the old U 995 with my grandchildren, but as I saw the images of my old lady I lost the interest as too much was changed since my time, she has definitely become a museum piece.
I was for a few years in charge as manufacturer inspector of the engines of the two passenger ferries m/s Kronprins Harald and m/s Prinsesse Ragnhild operating on the Kiel - Oslo service and passed Laboe and U 995 many times. I was always up at the bridge looking at her sitting high and dry on her concrete cradle, for some reason I still wasn`t tempted to visit her.
Tore
« Last Edit: 04 Dec , 2018, 10:10 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3941 on: 16 Dec , 2018, 01:37 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All,

I applied for the copyright for "Skizzenbuch: U-Boat Type VII C Project" to the US Library of Congress on December 4, 2018, and this process takes about three (3) month for completion. Then I will make the final update to Skizzenbuch and then it will be available to U-Boat enthusiasts. This has been a long and tedious process for me, but I can see where things are coming together.

Regards,
Don_

FYI....
Copyright Author Credits:
Donald M. Prince - Managing Editor/Contributor
Tore Berg-Nielsen - Contributor
Maciek Florek (Deceased) - Contributor
Simon J. Morris - Contributor
Mark Hessburg - Contributor
« Last Edit: 16 Dec , 2018, 03:23 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3942 on: 16 Dec , 2018, 03:25 »
Don
Great news, looking forward to seeing the "Skizzenbuch" early spring next year.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3943 on: 25 Dec , 2018, 01:25 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All...
Don_
« Last Edit: 25 Dec , 2018, 01:34 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore