General Modeling > GENERAL

Your adhesives, experiance and reviews

(1/2) > >>

OldNoob:
Thought i would start a topic where modelers could share their experience and reviews of the various adhesives that we use.

OldNoob:
Plastruct Plastic weld and Acrylic weld No4

I've come to the conclusion that the two products are basically the same.
The adhesives work OK IF the following conditions are met
1. Used on large, clean and flush mating surfaces of Acrylics and Polystyrene models

2. Applied using the "Wicking" method, putting the parts together and then applying the solvent/adhesive to the seam. i find trying to put this adhesive on both parts and then trying to clamp the parts together yields poor adhesion results.

3. 24 hour or longer cure time is observed.(just don't even touch it)
Even though the products say 1 to 2 minute working time i've found that is just not the case. Any sort of movement of the mated surfaces compromises the bond.

I've also noticed these products don't do well if applied any where near an area where "super glue" has been used. Oddly superglue and these products seem to cancel out each others effectiveness if they are anywhere near each other.

Rokket:
thanks for the info!

OldNoob:
For superglue that can be found in most local hardware stores and large retail chain stores, I've found Loctite professional to be a very good glue.

A couple of seconds in working time it also seems to not leave a surrounding vapor chalk (etching) around glued spots as bad as other lesser priced glues.

Rokket:
I am a huge fan of the modeler stuff, different brands, it's Thick & Slow gel-like. Very useful. (The thin runny stuff can drip here and there where you don't want).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version