Author Topic: 1/125th scale USS Mertz DD-691  (Read 9808 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
1/125th scale USS Mertz DD-691
« on: 10 Jan , 2010, 15:24 »
Here are some photos of my modeling odyssey of USS Mertz based on a heavily modified Lindberg Blue Devil kit.  By the time I finished this project, there was very little left of the original kit, most everything was modified, scratch built or an aftermarket.  I also made my own decals for the squadron insignia, deck tread strips, and material condition labels.  This was a very frustrating project which required a significant investment in time and effort.  At the time I started, the Revell 1/144 Fletcher did not exist and the Lindberg kit was the only large scale Fletcher kit available.

I selected Mertz as she appeared at the end of the war in Measure 22 with the distinctive markings of Destroyer Squadron 54.  The Red Devil squadron emblem was applied to both sides of the forward funnel of all ships in DESRON 54 near the end of the war and some carried it into 1946 and maybe 1947.  The tail of the devil forms the number "5" and the pitchfork forms the number "4".  Mertz also carried a large number "8" on each side just below the midships 40mm.  USS Monssen DD-798 carried a number "9" in this same location.  I am not sure what numbers were carried to the other seven ships in DESRON 54.

Your comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome.  Enjoy the photos.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: 1/125th scale USS Mertz DD-691
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan , 2010, 20:44 »
Hi Bill.

The pictures are great and the build is fantastic!!!

Are the hull fixers to protect the propellers?

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan , 2010, 00:02 »
Very detailed and crisp, excellent presenattion and detail
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan , 2010, 20:52 »
Hello!

Thanks for your kind words.  The propeller guards were a standard feature on Fletcher Class destroyers and served to keep the screws clear of fouling from lines that might pass near.

Regards,

Mr. Bill

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan , 2010, 02:14 »
Very beautiful build Bill.  You should be very proud of her.

Ernest

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan , 2010, 12:07 »
Hi Mr. Bill,

Awesome build, you should be very proud.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan , 2010, 14:57 »
I like it too Bill.
Looks almost factory fresh. I dont know if i could keep it so clean. ;)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan , 2010, 17:00 »
Thanks everyone for the comments!  As you may know, trying to massage the Lindberg Blue Devil into a reasonably accurate model of a Fletcher class destroyer is a very difficult and frustrating process.  The Revell 1/144 fletcher is a far better starting point.  I ended up with the clean museum model like finish on Mertz as a result of a negative reaction between the initial clear gloss coat and my black wash.  I am not sure exactly what happened, but the two were definitely not compatible.  Fortunately, I tested in a small hidden area first and was able to repair the blemish without too much trouble.  Having narrowly averted disaster, I decided to skip the wash and just go with a clear flat final finish that you see in the photos.

Regards,

Mr. Bill

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #8 on: 02 Feb , 2010, 10:47 »
Great looking build. I really liked how you did the rigging, very nice.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: 02 Feb , 2010, 17:44 »
Thanks!  The rigging is one of my favorite parts also!  The lines for the whale boats are all rigged like the real thing.

Bill

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb , 2010, 14:56 »
Beautiful model Bill.

Like the others, I particularly like the climbing lines for the whaleboats.  That's the sort of detail that's usually missed, but when it's there adds a LOT to the realism.

But also of note are the chainplates and turnbuckles for the rigging and the cleating of the running rigging.  Again something often missed.

What sort of knot did you use for the cleating?  The photo isn't clear enough to see.

john r haynes

« Reply #11 on: 18 Feb , 2010, 05:06 »
This is a really excellent model

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: 18 Feb , 2010, 13:28 »
John and Pat,

Thank you very much for your compliments!  The lines for the whale boats are tied off at the cleat with a series of figure eights.  I don't know the nautical jargon for this, but it is commonly seen in close up photos of the davits where the cleat is located.   I repeated the figure eight several times until it looked right and then used a tiny drop of CA to secure it in place.  Final step was to trim the end.  Please let me know if you have further comments or questions.

Cheers,

Bill

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: 18 Feb , 2010, 14:17 »
Some more photos:

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #14 on: 19 Feb , 2010, 00:59 »
The rigging and those details "sell" it. The DC racks are nice, too.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz