Author Topic: Lube Oil Supply Tanks  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
Re: Lube Oil Supply Tanks
« Reply #15 on: 04 Jun , 2019, 13:23 »
Just a couple of shots of the LO tanks. I need to find out how they were plumbed. I'm sure there were clean out hatches in the top too. More research.
Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #16 on: 04 Jun , 2019, 14:33 »
The lube- oilsystems in the lubeoiltanks varies depending of the type of mainengine, Krupp Germaniawerft or MAN, like wise the building year of the submarine,  as the VIICs  before appr. 1942 were equipped with a lubeoil centrifuge cleaning plant connected to the tanks. Hence you have to decide which submarine is your model, before you start making the relative complex piping of the lube oil system. Further the luboilsystem is an intergrated part of the servomotor for the governor of the engine as well as a branch to the  supercharger.
Tore

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #17 on: 04 Jun , 2019, 16:08 »
I know what you mean. Hopefully I can decipher this plate from U-570 to get a better idea. U-570 was built around the same time as U-371 so it's about the closest I can get.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #18 on: 05 Jun , 2019, 02:01 »
The U-371 was one of the early VIICs so I guess she was equipped with a direct reversible GW engine and a lubeoil centrifuge plant and plan 14 would be relevant. As you shall see a substantial part of the system is on the main engine. The system works as follows. The engine attached luboilpump draws lubeoil from the relevant sytemtank, the pipe (turquoise) has a NR.valve and a cock operated from the deckplates before entering the suction inlet of the gear luboilpump. As you have a direct reversible engine, the gearpump works for both ways of rotation. Just before entering the lubeoil pump, the pipe has a small valveconnection to the high pressue luboil pipe, going aft to the servomotor of the governor. The pumpdischarge pipe (red) passes over the torsional vibration damper cover at the front of the engine to a shut off valve (b) right before a valvechest, distributing the oil via a filter to the luboilcooler (using seawater). Going through the cooler, the oil is discharged at the bottom to a three way cock in a cross over pipe having connection  (shut)  to the stb. lubeoilsystem. Right after a smaller pipe (high pressure) branch off to the afterpart of the engine to the servomotor for the governor.The smaller yellow pipes are the drainpipes from the cooler, pumpdischarge and the lubeoil pressurereducing valve (3-1,5 kg/cm2) fitted at the front of the engine. From the reducing valve the lubeoil pipe goes aft along the engine with branch off pipes to each mainbearing, torsional vibration damper, camshaft and  supercharger. From the drainconnections on the main engine the drains (yellow) goes to the drain distribution box on top of the relevant systemtank and to the  tank

Tore

« Last Edit: 05 Jun , 2019, 02:03 by tore »

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #19 on: 05 Jun , 2019, 04:00 »
FYI Katuna

Gave the Engine a quick coat of dark color. It may not stay. You like the pistons?

cheers
Raymic

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #20 on: 05 Jun , 2019, 09:49 »

Tore - That is a lot of info to digest. I'm not sure I can achieve that amount of detail in 1/48 scale but I shall endeavor to make you proud, sir. I've been working with some of the 3D drawings of the piping to determine what each pipe is and where it goes. It's quite a bowl of spaghetti down there.

Raymic - Wow, those look great! Sure makes a difference to the look and feel of the engine room.

I've decided that I won't be doing the Stbd. engine but instead focus on the piping, underdeck and overhead details. We're hitting our first 100F day here so it's time to move indoors for the next 4 months. It's good superdetailing weather.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #21 on: 05 Jun , 2019, 11:20 »
Katuna, feel free to use my infos to your hearths desire. When you have digested my story just put forward your next questions.
Tore

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #22 on: 06 Jun , 2019, 03:52 »
Mr Tore

So in this fictional movie set for DAS BOOT, the engineers have lifted up the walkway and working underfloor at Crankshaft level.
They must be inside a Supply Tank??,so would they drain it first?

In the movie I think they were repairing the Crankshaft or the Piston connecting rod bearings? ( I would have to watch it again...great excuse!!)

Mr Tore, is this possible or is it fictional that they portray? thanks

PS: I cant find a photo but I'm sure I may have seen a similar REAL scene.
« Last Edit: 06 Jun , 2019, 03:57 by Raymic1 »

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: 06 Jun , 2019, 06:01 »
Hi Katuna,
why don't you open your specic thread about the Type VIIC you are building ?
Cheers.
Filippo

P.S. : I'm looking at your model with great interest ( also the Raymic's one ...)....

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #24 on: 06 Jun , 2019, 06:48 »
Raymic.
Interesting observation. The excellent movie Das Boot shows a correct situation. One of the weaknesses of the GW dieselengine was the crankpin bearings, contrary to todays technique the bearings were white metal cast in a fairly thick steelshell and were susceptible to loosing the bond between the steel bearing shell and the white metall, resulting in cracking. This required a new bearingshell which had to be scraped in using blue colouring, a time consuming job. The crankcasedoors of the GW engine were fairly large ending some 10 cm below the floorplating, thus you had to remove same to have access. If you look at the posted image of the engine you shall see the luboil drain flange of the dry sump which is about the highest possible place for the topplate for the systemtanks, hence you have some 500-600 mm extra space if you removed the floorplating and using the tanktop as floor, a few extra pipes were not in the way. This was much more comfortable for a tedious job like scraping a big end bearing shell, I have done that quite a few times, even polishing the crankpin journal. Very observant Raymic.

Tore
« Last Edit: 06 Jun , 2019, 06:52 by tore »

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #25 on: 06 Jun , 2019, 08:21 »

Filippo - I was thinking about doing that. I wasn't sure if there were dedicated build threads on here but I will put one together. It's interesting to see how different modelers approach the same subject. I watch your build updates with great interest. Your level of detail is amazing.

I hope your wife is doing better. Our prayers go out to her.

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #26 on: 06 Jun , 2019, 08:31 »
Tore - Be careful how much help you offer, I may just take you up on it!

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #27 on: 06 Jun , 2019, 08:47 »
Hi all you guys who needs my infos, as the laws of nature I`m not 25 anymore, but have passed the 90, hence my systems works a bit slower than it used to do. It would help me a lot if you put forward the questions in my mailbox leaving me to only one thread to deal with. Just shoot and I`ll try to answer.
Tore 

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #28 on: 06 Jun , 2019, 09:53 »
Here's the LO system info as per Tore.

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #29 on: 07 Jun , 2019, 13:02 »
So, the chamber below the table top. Trying to figure out if this is original to the boat or post-war. Is it a filter or a heat exchanger? To me it looks like the later but you can't see enough of it to be sure.