Author Topic: Type VIIC/41 - Work in Progress  (Read 60297 times)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: Type VIIC/41 - Work in Progress
« Reply #150 on: 11 Mar , 2011, 15:22 »
Hi gents,

Nicolas, great job of U 1023, I like the weathering. Weathering below the waterline is really difficult, primarily because we don't have colour shots showing exactly what the real boats looked like down there.

One thing that should be considered on weathering of U-boats. There's a big difference between early war boats and late war boats. Before the snort was fitted the boats spent 90+% on the surface so they weathered pretty much like a surface vessel.

But when the snort was fitted this changed. Yes, when in port the late boats would weather like a surface vessel. But on patrol, by necessity they would spend most of the time underwater. During this time period on patrol the upper hull would weather just like the lower hull (ie. underwater weathering).

Cheers,

Dougie

bracco_n

« Reply #151 on: 23 Mar , 2011, 19:30 »
Work has begun on the rigging, I've already built the fore turnbuckles for the CG. They are a bit too thick but they're the best I could do. Will post some photos when I've got time.

bracco_n

« Reply #152 on: 25 Jul , 2011, 19:50 »
News from the dockyard: U-1023 is 99% completed! The only thing that remains to be done is the Naxos antenae wich was damaged long time ago, along with some minor areas that have to be re-brushed. The base is also unpainted. Rigging turned out better than what I expected but it's not high level.
Photos will be uploaded tomorrow or someday this week!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #153 on: 26 Jul , 2011, 03:21 »
standing by...and almost congrats (saving for when 100% complete!)
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #154 on: 26 Jul , 2011, 11:28 »
Can`t wait to see the pictures  ;)

Karel

bracco_n

« Reply #155 on: 28 Jul , 2011, 16:17 »
I took some quick shots today, their quality is very poor in my opinion. From up close the rigging doesn't look good but if you take a few steps back it creates the illusion pretty well. Check it yourselves:

bracco_n

« Reply #156 on: 28 Jul , 2011, 21:04 »
The best photo looks distorted when I load it through here so if you want to check it here's the link:
http://s1139.photobucket.com/albums/n543/n_bracco/?action=view&current=DSC07872.jpg

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #157 on: 29 Jul , 2011, 09:33 »
Some nice work there.  I especially like the line of barnacles (?) just below the painted waterline, about where the boat would sit when fully surfaced.  That adds a lot of realism.  Maybe if you could get a bit of greenish/brownish scum/algae in the same area?  However, a northern boat wouldn't have as much there as a southern boat because of the colder water.

The rust is well done too.  It's there, and obvious that the boat has been out, but not much that it looks neglected.

Another thing I like is the attachment points on the deck for the aft jump-wire supports.  I don't think I've seen that on any other builds, but it looks right.

The deck colour is good too. 

You're right that the rigging of the jump-wires isn't all that great.  Since you know, I won't belabour it.  One notable point is that the turnbuckles are wayyyyy too big.

I'd also suggest a bit more wear and rust on and around the anchor.  If used even once, it would have scraped the paint off the reinforcing roll at the bottom of the 'well', and the anchor itself would have lost most of its paint quickly when used too.

bracco_n

« Reply #158 on: 29 Jul , 2011, 09:47 »
Pat, thanks for your comments. I'm dissapointed with the rigging but I couldn't think of anything better with my current skills, anyway I think it's better than having used the stock parts.

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #159 on: 29 Jul , 2011, 13:45 »
Congrats for the lovely boat. Thw wooden deck rendering is amazing.
keep up the excellent work!
SG

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #160 on: 30 Jul , 2011, 10:23 »
I think youve done a great job mate. Lovely boat, and if mine comes out near as good, I`ll be dead chuffed ;)

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #161 on: 30 Jul , 2011, 16:16 »
Indeed very nice so far, the deck looks perfect  ;)

Karel

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #162 on: 31 Jul , 2011, 02:58 »
Very nice.  The chipped paint and rust, yes, Pat says it well! And the deck, a real miniature! Everyone, click on the link tot he pic that distorts, it's worth it.

Well Done!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

bracco_n

« Reply #163 on: 31 Jul , 2011, 14:04 »
Naxos antenna is in place and so two years of work come to and as U-1023 is completed. It's been a long and hard journey, filled with moments of satisfaction and others during which I wanted to throw the boat through the window. I learned a lot with this build, the first one in which I tried advanced techniques both of painting and building. Though I'm not wholly satisfied with the rigging and the finishing touches I'm glad happy with the final result, now I can look forward to achiving better results with future boats.
I have to thank Jan, Raul Gonzalez Melian and Ariel Pelayo without whom this build couldn't have been possible, and thanks go to all of you who commented, criticized, and helped me during this process.
Photos:

U-1023 next to it's little brother U-410:

You can check more photos here:
http://s1139.photobucket.com/albums/n543/n_bracco/

The base remains to be done, and when the oportunity presents itself I'll take the boat to my aunt's house (big garden with pool, great for taking photos, and Nikon D90 too) and take the final photos which will be presented here.
As for the future, I'm already working on a VIIC 1/144 with the Griffon PE attempting to represent U94. There's also an age of the sail vessel in the yard: the sloop Independence from Artesania Latina (yep, I'm taking my first steps in wooden sailing ships too) so you'll still be hearing from me.

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #164 on: 01 Aug , 2011, 08:29 »
Bracco, if you start building wooden sailing ships, you're going to learn a LOT about rigging LOL.  I built such wooden ship models for years before coming back to plastic kits since I was always interested in U-boats. 

If you ever need help/suggestions with the wooden boats, don't be afraid to send me a PM.  I've got a library of perhaps 40 books on sailing ships and ship models. 

One thing that really adds to realism is to get the butt planking pattern right.  It's called a 5-step pattern, and I think I've mentioned it in one of the threads here about Bismark.  Rigging of course is what everybody notices in sailing ship models, and there's lots of techniques to learn with that too.

Keep up the good work.  You've built an excellent model.  And now that I see more of the hull in your recent pic, the barnacles and wear at and below the waterline look even better.