Author Topic: WTB VIIC/41 deck  (Read 6435 times)

Offline Pat

• Captain
Re: WTB VIIC/41 deck
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan , 2010, 20:28 »
Sorry it's taking me so long to get any pix loaded.

I'm having big time computer problems since my hard drive crashed a month ago, and been too busy to spend a lot of time on anything other than just catching up on all the info in this site.

Pix of my own build will come eventually, but not sure how good the pix will be since my only digital camera is my cell phone.  That's what comes from investing so much money in film cameras and lenses back before digital happened.  :-S

I forgot to mention WHY I started in on a real wood deck for my U-711.

The Revell kit came with a schnorkel, but I wanted a deck gun.  It just looked right to me having the gun instead of the snort.  So I researched until I found a boat that fit the description I wanted (VIIC/41 with a Turm 4 and deck gun) and then decided that I couldn't match the kit deck by patching over the schnorkel trench, so I had to build a deck from scratch and once I started on that detail, I might as well do xxxx, which lead to adding in yyyy which meant I might as well do zzzz and my 3 pc plastic deck evolved into what will eventually be a couple thousand pcs.

But don't let that scare you off.  To actually scratchbuild a wooden deck is a lot easier than it sounds.  I've byuilt so many decks for sailing ships that are far more difficult than a plain u-boat deck (without all the functional hatches that I'm including in this one).  Once you get the hang of it, you could probably make a good wooden deck, with all separate planks, in just a couple of days.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jan , 2010, 01:04 »
waiting for pix - patiently... hope to see some sailing ship pix in the other sections... ;)
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline johnd

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #17 on: 01 Feb , 2010, 11:02 »
Pat, I am intrigued by the concept of scratchbuilding a deck and wintergarten floor for a Turm IV VIIC and have been experimenting with using plastic strip as well as HO lumber for the planks and beams. The railroad lumber material tends to become frayed when sanding and not as dimensionally stable as the plastic strip. Having never woorked with wood plank material maybe you could give some pointers. They would be appreciated.

An even more basic question comes to mind. What sizes for your planks and spaces will you be using? After making several review samples. I am considering a width of .040" and a spacing of .015" or .020".

Thanks,
John

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #18 on: 01 Feb , 2010, 23:38 »
mmmm, standing by too, love to hear more... ;)
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 02 Feb , 2010, 12:08 »
John, I
« Last Edit: 02 Feb , 2010, 12:10 by Pat »

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #20 on: 02 Feb , 2010, 12:59 »
   Pat...Sounds like a nice deck.. Hatches that open ! A plus..!! My question : How did you hinge them ? (Unless I missed something)
                                                     Thanks in advance
                                                                     Bill

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 02 Feb , 2010, 15:57 »
The concept of the opening hatches is simple.  The execution a little more difficult.

Again, it probably helps having my own boat, and being sort of a dock rat in that whatever city I travel to (I used to travel a lot on business too), in my spare time I go down to the docks and look at boats and often talk my way on board.  Marine hinges are usually fairly simple, just two parts to each hinge (unlike a house hinge that might have several parts) and the top and bottom hinges are mirror images of each other so that to get the hatch out, you only have to remove one hinge and the other slips out automatically.

It's called a pintle and gundgeon system if you know what that is.  Like how rudders are attached so that the bottom part fits into a socket (or another hinge) and the top is just a pin going in the opposite direction.  Remove the top cap, and the whole thing comes apart.

If that doesn't help, here's how to make them.

Meterials, brass rod, brass shim.

Cut the brass shim into a thin strip, about 1/2 the width of what you want the finished hinge.  Then fold the shim around the rod so that the part that overlaps is approx. the length that you want the strap of the hinge.  Now, cut the shim so that both sides are the same length. 

Repeat with another strip of shim.

Now you have two bits of shim, folded around the rod.  One part is the top strap of the hinge that you attach to the deck (for instance) and the other strap you attach to the hatch.  Cut the rod off so that it's inside the completed hinge.

Now, take one strap off, and use CA to glue the rod inside the other strap so that it sticks out.  The other strap is glued to either the deck or hatch as required.

Make another hinge the same way for the other end of the hatch, ecept that the pin (brass rod) sticks out the opposite side of the hinge.  The pins on the two hinges should both point to towards each other so that all you have to do to remove the hatch is to take out one strap.

I used the same method to make the splinter shield for the 37mm FlaK hinge in two places, except of course that each side has a locking pin behind it, just like the real ones in the U-boat pictures.  (Makes for less drag when folded).  The only difference is that the splinter shileds have 3 hinges instead of 2, and that all the pintles stick up so that the moveable shiled is lifted straight up when taking off.

The hinges for the outer torpedo doors are are simpler, but even more difficult to make because they have to be very tiny.  I drilled a small hole at the forward end of the door, and glued a brass pin in the hole, sticking out on the inside of the door but filed smooth on the outside so that when painted, it wouldn't show.  Then I took a hollow brass tubed and srilled a hole in it the same diameter, and glue the brass rod with the door onto the side of the tube.  Then I simple put a brass rod in the bow of the boat vertically, and slid the tube down over it and voila, a hinge that the door roatates around the rod.

The difficult part here is to get the location and the angle of the tubes and rods correct so that the door hinges smoothly.  Plus, it's got to be very tiny because there's not much room to work with up there.

The honge for the main man-hatch in the CT is even easier.  Just drill a hole through the centre of the spring the same diameter a brass rod.  Bend the rod into an "L" shape and push it through the hole.  Then bend over the opposite side of the rod in the same direction as the leg of the "L".  Now, drill 2 holes in the deckto push the brass rod through and when painted, you can't even see the brass rod.  (Of course, this also means that you have to put the wheels and locking dogs on the inside of the hatch, and paint the rubber seal, and then put a ladder going down inside the CT, then put in equipment inside the CT, another hatch to the control room, another ladder, etc.  This is where I started to get carried away on my own boat)

With the deck gun, the plastic pivot point for traversing should be cut off, it's too short.  Drill a hole where the pivot point was, and replace it with a brass or aluminum rod as thick as you can fit.  The rod should project down under the deck an inch or so.

Drill a hile in the deck plate the same size as the rod.

Get a wooden dowel just slightly shorter than the rod and drill a hole through it the same diameter as the rod.  Glue this as firmly as possible underneath the deck.  When the gun is put into the hole in the deck, the rod should project a little past the dowel.  Drill a hole in the end of the rod and put another brass rod in the hole as a stopper so that the gun will not lift out without removing it.  The reason for the length of dowel is that the longer you can make this pivoting rod, the smoother the gun will rotate on its axis.  If you're building a pressure hull as I am, the dowel will fit inside the hull when assembled and it will be hidden by the gun mount under the deck so you can't see it anyway.

The 37mm pivots the same way, and it elevates by another brass rod going through horizontally like the trunnion on an old muzzle-loading cannon.  Again, this is all hidden inside.  (I did this part a couple of years ago and can't remember if I had to cut some of the plastic with a hot knife.  A hot knife is essential for doing a lot of fine carving into the plastic to make some of these hinges, mortices and tennons, etc. that I do.)

The 20 mm Flaks are pivoted in the same way, only I replaced the plastic post with an aluminum one, which is stronger and works much smoother than the plastic would have.  Again, there's a stopper under the deck to stop it from lifiting out, but in this case because of size constraints, the stopped was some scrap plastic sprue drilled through to the same size as the aluminum and glued on like it was a nut on a bolt.

The elevation for the 20mm's was a brass pin going horizontally through the platform that the guns were mounted on.  Again, I did that part about 2 years ago and don't remember if I'd replaced the plastic with brass rings made out of bent rods.  It's been painted and I can't tell if it's original plastic or brass now.  (That's another way of making hinges, by putting a rod through several rings made of other brass rods.  You can make them all identical by bending them around a rod.)

All the antennas, RDF and periscopes are "hinged" by replacing their shafts with aluminum tubes and rods that fit inside each other so they telescope in and out and rotate.  Again, a stopper of some kind is made inside at the bottom.  I use aluminum here again because it shows when extended and looks like the hydraulic cylinders.

It's a lot of work to make all these hinges and working parts, and very challenging (you can see why my model has taken a couple of years and the pressure hull isn't even in yet), but it's a lot of fun to have everything move that moves on the real one.