Author Topic: 1/72 VIIC to VIID conversion  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
1/72 VIIC to VIID conversion
« on: 23 Aug , 2009, 13:15 »
I started this "small" project earlier this summer...  And i must say it

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
Re: 1/72 VIIC to VIID conversion
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug , 2009, 21:55 »
Anakin

Don't worry!  We have all had our blunders!  I am probably the worst of all - I get easily distracted during the most critical moments and have spoiled many projects.  Most I was able to remedy with lots of sanding and styrene surgery, but some still linger in the dark corners of my work room gathering dust.  My son is no longer a problem, he knows not to intrude during a critical moment.  Can't say the same for my Macaw, Bluebelle.  She has an uncanny ability to screech and demand attention at the most difficult moments.......

Be tenacious,

Mr. Bill

« Last Edit: 23 Aug , 2009, 22:17 by Mr. Bill »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug , 2009, 23:41 »
Interesting project, and don't worry about the "detours", in the end no one will know!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #3 on: 04 Sep , 2009, 11:24 »
Now i have the 7th layer of green putty drying... I hope it

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #4 on: 04 Sep , 2009, 21:24 »
Strips work well, but yes, gluing is a bit tricky, you can get too much wicking and capillary-actioning all over, or too little and they pop off. I KNOW this sounds crazy (especially from someone who likes solid and overkill), but I used ragged strips of masking tape, then smeared green putty on, then sanded until almost gone, just slightly bumpy and irregular and barely there. The putty bites quite nice, and once primed and painted, doesn't flake off. easy to do and easy to fix/change.

Otherwise, if you're settled with strips, I would use a styrene solvent like Humbrol or whatever, because it can be pit on with a toothpick and wil bond well to the hull. (The poly liquid tends to evaporate very quickly and be useless on thin and small stuff.

AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Ronster

« Reply #5 on: 09 Oct , 2009, 00:28 »
Hi Anakin:
For big gaps, I have used Milliput and more lately, Aepoxy Sculpt rather than the traditional putties. They tend to shrink and especially crack on large areas. Looks like you used the Squadron Green putty?

The Milliput dries rock hard after a day. You can also shape it for a few hours with a wet finger before it starts to set. The best thing is that you can sand and scribe the stuff as if it were plastic.

I would like to see more of you conversion. I have that conversion set too and have a kit put aside just for such a future project.

Ron

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #6 on: 09 Oct , 2009, 07:51 »
to rokket:

So far i have been trying to make the seams from thin thread. Dunno if it