Author Topic: Eduard's 1/32 Scale BF 109E-4  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Eduard's 1/32 Scale BF 109E-4
« on: 12 Jan , 2014, 08:07 »
Hi guys, its been I while since I posted a build so here something new.  I just finished a simple diorama featuring Eduard's Bf 109E-4. The scene is set sometime in early to mid-November 1940 and depicts Major Helmut Wick describing an aerial combat to another pilot right after landing. The figures come from two separate sources; Wick is sold by Model Design Construction and the other pilot is an Ultracast figure that can be purchased from several sources. Both figures are resin.

Construction went fairly smoothly, the only real problem area being the fit of the cowling which was not surprising considering the kit is designed to showoff the engine with the cowling and other panels removed. I painted the kit using a combination of JPS Colors, Tamiya and Lifecolor acrylics. All painting was done with an airbrush, with the exception of some detail painting and the RLM71 mottling, which was done with the blunt end of a paint brush. According to my sources, the mottling was applied the same way on the actual plane. I painted the model to resemble Wick's aircraft as it appeared after he was promoted to Geschwader Kommodore of JG2. Weathering was done with a combination of Tamiya weathering pastels, different AK Interactive weathering media and a graphite and silver pencil/pen. My goal was to make the aircraft appear a bit battle worn without making it appear ready for the scrape yard. I did chicken out on mottling the rudder as the original photos showed what appeared to be a bad reaction to the yellow paint; and I did not want to chance a disaster. The only aftermarket item is the seatbelt by HGW; these are very nice and look great. I stuck with a simple base as, again, all the photos I saw showed the aircraft on an open field - not surprising considering where JG2 operated out of during The Battle of Britain.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with the build; though, as always, there is room for improvement.

Enjoy the photos,
 Ernest

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
Re: Eduard's 1/32 Scale BF 109E-4
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 09:10 »
Ernest am speechless. It seems that you caught Wick in his most typical expression when telling about his exploits! I've always been fascinated by the camouflage scheme of Wick's Me 109 and wondered what would be the optimal technique to render it in scale properly. You centered the target and i must congratulate with you.
Everything's perfect. Top marks!!

« Last Edit: 13 Jan , 2014, 09:34 by SG »

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan , 2014, 10:10 »
Hi SG, it is good to hear from you!  I hope you are well and have been able to spend some of your free time building models.  Thank you for the kind words!  This build turned out well in all respects - the moon and stars must have aligned for me!   ;D

Ernest

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan , 2014, 04:16 »
Beautiful! And such layers, and a great idea. awesome...really lovely
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz