Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576201 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #3480 on: 02 Mar , 2017, 14:41 »

Don.
I don`t have the same photo, but almost a simular taken by falo as shown below. The handpump is on port side aft engineroombulkhead.
 In answer of your emsulsify question. Yes we had to shut down the engine immediately and did not have any dammages. We limped back to the base on one engine. And pumped the contaminated oil ashore.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3481 on: 02 Mar , 2017, 21:34 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Thank you for all your help...  One more question - was the lube oil purifying centrifuge pump located near the forward diesel room bulkhead on the starboard side of the early U-Boats?

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 02 Mar , 2017, 23:34 by Don Prince »
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3482 on: 03 Mar , 2017, 01:59 »
Don.
I never saw the luboil centrifuge, but I assume it was placed somewhere up front of the engines.  It was possibly an unit where the pumps and valves were intergrated in a fairly small module.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3483 on: 03 Mar , 2017, 02:49 »

Hello Mr. Tore,

These two photos make me believe it was on the starboard side because if the white vertical tubes in back of the purifier...   What do you think?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #3484 on: 03 Mar , 2017, 04:51 »
Hi Gentlemen,

Don, I believe that purifier was located in the port-forward corner of Diesel engine room.
At the attached photo you can see the British sailor operating stb engine (of HMS Graph).
As you can see, he stands rather freely.
On the other photo:

you can see the port engine. In the bottom-right corner of the photo you can see the rounded cover of some device
(which - I believe - is not present in the stb corner). It can be the top of the vertical cylinder, the part of purifier, also
visible on the photo of the device from U 505.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3485 on: 03 Mar , 2017, 05:14 »
Don.
The white purfyer on your image seems to me to be an installation on a merchant vessel, definitely not on a VIIC, but could indicate how a centrifuge module would look like.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #3486 on: 03 Mar , 2017, 05:33 »
Tore,

The white purfyer on your image seems to me to be an installation on a merchant vessel, definitely not on a VIIC, but could indicate how a centrifuge module would look like.

The white purifier is installed in the U 505 engine room.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3487 on: 03 Mar , 2017, 05:53 »
Maciek.
I guess you found it. The device encircled in red would probably be the luboil purifier. On the museum U 995 this equipment is not fitted. Instead you have a horizontal electric waterpump which I guess supply hot seawater to the galley and other sanitary seawater systems.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3488 on: 03 Mar , 2017, 14:38 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Maciek,

I don't believe I came up with the photo of the White Purifier that I posted.  However, after doing some searching through my photos scattered between two hard drives (I need to organize this mess!!!), I found a photo of U-505 which seems to indicate the White Purifier belongs to U-505.  I have posted the photo below...  What do you all think about my theory?

Is the gray item close to the bulkhead a electric pump, or the electric water heater that was part of the LO Purifying system.  If that is not the electric water, then where is it on this image of U-505?

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 03 Mar , 2017, 15:07 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #3489 on: 03 Mar , 2017, 14:44 »
Don,

the purifier for sure belongs to U 505. Here is the link to virtual tour, where you can see it (you have to have QuickTime plugin installed):
http://archive.msichicago.org/exhibit/U505/virtualtour/vr_tour/movie_diesel.html

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3490 on: 03 Mar , 2017, 22:21 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Maciek,

I just had to understand how the lube oil purifier worked and why we needed the hot water heater.  I understand the reason for the preheating of the lube oil is to assist in separating the water already in the lube oil besides the contaminants. The reason for the electric water heater is for cleaning the centrifuge bowel of sludge that has collected on the sides of the internal bowel.  I found a video that does an excellent job of explaining how the process works with a modern centrifuge. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00eVuhB7aTQ

However, the centrifuge in the U-Boats was designed in the 1930's and they didn't have the computerized control unit ti initiate the various cycles, but I bet there was some type of control switch or valve where this was done manually.

Comments?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3491 on: 04 Mar , 2017, 00:41 »
Don.
The 1930 marine technology was not so automated as todays. The separators as we called it, had to be cleaned manually and I assume the VIIC separators was cleaned manually as well.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3492 on: 04 Mar , 2017, 01:37 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

The separator was designed by "Ramesohl and Schmidt, Westfalia., Oelde

GEA Westfalia Separator Group GmbH with head office in Oelde, Westphalia is a German manufacturer of separators and decanters which is affiliated to the GEA Group. The company develops procedures and processes for the mechanical clarification and separation of liquids for the food industry, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, energy, shipping and environmental technology.

1931–1940

In 1931 the company presented the first self-cleaning separator. Co-founder Franz Schmidt died on 18. March 1937. In 1940 the turnover surpassed the 10 million Reichsmark limit for the first time.

Patent DE470723C Filing date Jun 7, 1925 - Publication date Jan 25, 1929

Standing fluid centrifugal drum with upper supply and removal of the material to be centrifuged by axial pipes

I found this on the internet,

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 04 Mar , 2017, 01:55 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3493 on: 04 Mar , 2017, 03:12 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I updated pages 140 - 143 in Skizzenbuch and posted the latest version in dropbox.  When you have time would you please review those pages and let me know what you think...  This version of Skizzenbuch has had a lot of updates and superficial changes; like moving pages to make things more logical in sequence.

Kind regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #3494 on: 04 Mar , 2017, 06:56 »
Don,

according to British report on HMS Graph:

Lubricating Oil Separator, Type 2 LHD 2/20
Capacity:   300 litres lub. oil/hour at 1 atm. at a speed of 1350/1,750 r.p.m. (66 galls./hr. at 15 lb./sq. in.).
Makers: Ramesohl and Schmidt, Westfalia, Oelde.
Motor Makers: Werdohler Pumpenfabrik, Werdohl, I/W Paul Hillebrand G.M.B.H.

In the type VIIC manual there is a chapter that describes the purifier:
An electrically driven purifier with a capacity of 250 liters/hour is provided in the diesel engine room for purifying dirty lubricating oil.  The purifier is equipped with an electrical oil pre-heater and a hot water pre-heater.  Directly coupled with the drive shaft are the pure oil and dirty oil feed pumps.  These two geared pumps arranged one after the other.  The attached dirty oil pump sucks the contaminated oil from the lubricating oil collecting tanks and passes it over the oil pre-heater into the lubricating oil purifier.  The cleaned oil is then pumped by the pure oil pump.
The waste water from the oil purifying process drains into the bilge.  A hot water pre-heater is provided for better cleaning of engine lubricating oil.

The correct manufacture name is: Ramesohl & Schmidt A.G., Ölde i. Westfalen.

Regards
Maciek