Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 577093 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #2205 on: 06 Oct , 2014, 01:36 »
Mark.
I had a closer look at the bow floodgates this morning and show you my final suggestion as per the images below.
Tore

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
    • WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic
« Reply #2206 on: 06 Oct , 2014, 01:41 »
So, just a tiny bit lower - thanks. BTW is the anchor bay really that large?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2207 on: 06 Oct , 2014, 01:53 »
Mark.
 Your question on the variation of waterline. The difference in draught at the various images of VIIC might be due to many variables. salinity, temperature, ballasttanks configuration,
fuel, torpedoes, supplies etc.  You did not compensate the draught immediately and some CO liked to have a bow down trim, which was prohibited due to the danger of undercutting.
During warpatrols quite frequently you had the Q tanks filled for allowing quick diving. Thus no wonder there are photos showing different trim and draughts.
Tore

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2208 on: 06 Oct , 2014, 01:56 »
Yes, sorry I mean the painting of the waterline not the real physical water line.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2209 on: 06 Oct , 2014, 02:11 »
So, just a tiny bit lower - thanks. BTW is the anchor bay really that large?
Mark, I did not checked the anchor bay size. However  the lower corner aft and fwd corner high is between frame 103 to106.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2210 on: 06 Oct , 2014, 03:08 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Thank you for the information about the Schnorchel locking mechanism.  I updated Skizzenbuch with that and the info about the location of the exhaust line and shutoff valve above the deck casing.  The latest Skizzenbuch was uploaded to dropbox...

Don.
I checked your to days Skizzenbuch update and it looks OK. One small item. The U 996 did not have a schnorchel during WW2. She came back from her last patrol in March 1945 to have a schnorchel installed and was almost ready end April. Thus she has never been operated as Schnorchel boat by the Germans.
Tore

Regards,
Don_

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2211 on: 06 Oct , 2014, 17:59 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I corrected the history of U-995 as per your information.  In Addition, I got an email from Maciek and he was kind enough to identify several errors on my part about the switchboard and e-motors and made corrective suggestions.   I believe I have made all the corrections and uploaded the latest version of Skizzenbuch to dropbox.  I may need to do some additional work on the speed controller...   That has proven to be a very difficult page!

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 06 Oct , 2014, 18:00 by Don Prince »
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2212 on: 07 Oct , 2014, 00:56 »
Don.
I checked the Skizzenbuch on the U 995 history OK. It might be of interest to you that her last and 9th mission during WW2 was in the Barenz Sea outside the Soviet Kola peninsula. She attacked the allied convoy JW-65 and destroyed an US freighter Horace Bushnell of 7.176 ts. 13th. of March 1945. Then she returned to Narvik and Trondheim Norway to have the schnorchel fitted.
Tore
« Last Edit: 07 Oct , 2014, 00:59 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2213 on: 07 Oct , 2014, 22:42 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I like that kind of information and I placed it on page 320 in the latest version of Skizzenbuch which I uploaded to dropbox.  I have been emailing Maciek about Rotary Converters and he gave me some excellent photos and information, so I just had to include that info.  Also. I decided to take his advice and changed the main control panel and auxiliary control panel back to switchboard and auxiliary switchboard.  I called the motor control units the Rotary Switchboards, so that covers all 3.

You know; the more I learn about the Type VIIC U-Boat, the more I find out that I don't know a lot!  You and Maciek are way beyond my limited knowledge, and I have the audacity to attempt to write a book!

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2214 on: 08 Oct , 2014, 00:33 »
Don.
I guess you are about to write a book on the VIICs. On the various threads there are a lot of information which could be organized, the problem is to evaluate which info's are the right as many are assumptions.
 The WW2 story of U 995 is a story of an average Uboots operation in the Artic, focusing on the allied convoys to Murmansk. A norwegian has written a book of 97 pages on the subject concentrating on U 995, but included  parts of the other VIICs and one XXIII taken over by the Norwegian Navy.
The book is unfortunately only in norwegian, it contains many interesting details as to the U-boot warfare including  correspondence and interview with Hans Georg Hess, the last CO of U 995, at an age of 21 being the youngest CO of a VIIC ever. He became a lawyer holding a PhD after the war.  He had a meeting with some ex preys ,norwegians convoy gunners,  on board the U 995 September 1992.  I believe he died in 2009. Below a photo of the last German CO of U 995 Hans Georg Hess taken September 1992 on board the museum U 995.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2215 on: 08 Oct , 2014, 21:10 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I updated page 320 to include info about CO Hess and I made a correction that Maciek suggested as well.  I uploaded the latest version of Skizzenbuch to dropbox...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2216 on: 09 Oct , 2014, 00:52 »
Don.
The story of U-995 did not end by Hans Georg Hess 9 th. mission. She escaped operation Deadlight as she was not seaworthy for the transfer to Scotland because of the unfinished schnorchel conversion.  She was then put away in one of the small fjordbranches of the Trondheimsfjord by the norwegians. 6 th. of December 1952 she was commission as KNM Kaura by the norwegian navy. I became her chief engineer May 1953, and stayed on board during her period as front line submarine til 1955, when she got a major maintenance and conversion. After that she became a test and training submarine until she was faced out and sold to Germany for 1,- Dmark as museumsboat. Then towed to Kiel, Germany 1965 and eventually after some difficulties, restored in 1970-71 and handed over during an official sermon in Kiel  Oct. 1971 as a war memorial of the german submariners.
Down below are a few photos from my private collection. The lower is from a typical maneuvering situation at the switchboard getting alongside. Apart from the CO at the attackperiscope, I don`t think the photos have been published before.
Tore
« Last Edit: 09 Oct , 2014, 03:17 by tore »

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2217 on: 09 Oct , 2014, 04:31 »
Do you have more pictures of her at that time?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2218 on: 09 Oct , 2014, 07:25 »
Mark.
Yes I have a few, not all are very interesting. Most of my photos are from our missions above the Artic circle and a few from the Trondheim fjords where our submarine pen and main base was. They are all from KNM Kaura ex. U 995.
A strange photo might be that of a test torpedolaunching. We used a dummy torpedo which did not start and just tested the launching system in harbour. A few of the photos I have published before but most of them are never published before .
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2219 on: 09 Oct , 2014, 10:12 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Great! and the very first photo of the helmsman shows him looking at the Gyro-repeater.  Now U-995 does NOT look to have any of these instruments.  I was emailing Maciek about these instruments yesterday.  Thank you for the photos...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD