Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576670 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #2070 on: 27 Jul , 2014, 00:22 »
Don.
When you open the main starting supply airvalve, air is supplied to the starting air manifold. If you then put the startinghandle in the "umsteuer"/"reverse" position you open two valves in the airmanifold, 1. air supplyvalve to the  "umsteuer schieber" or slide and 2. the ventingvalve. The air is supplied to the ahead/ astern "reversing" slide, which control the displacement piston for the camshaft. This means the engine is ready for maneuvering. The reversing slide is operated by the ahead/astern handle, removed on non reversible engines but you still see the rudiments. The slide has only two position, ahead or astern and. If at the starting operation the starting lever passes the revers position nothing happens as the air only keeps the reversing mechanism in the ahead/astern handles status quo position.  Thus the starting handle has to be put in "umsteuer" position in order to be able to operate the ahead/astern handle on the direct reversible engine. Below I have tried to sketch (red) the diagram in the "umsteuer" (revers) configuration with the ahead/astern handle placed in ahead position . Further is a picture of the revers handle rudiments on the U-995 engines. Further to the basic movement,  the reversing system consist of a number of interlocks preventing the handles to be moved at the wrong times, which I for simplification have omitted at this stage.
Tore
« Last Edit: 27 Jul , 2014, 23:19 by tore »

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #2071 on: 05 Aug , 2014, 04:31 »
Hi Tore!  quick noob question. On the inner walls of the upper conning tower of the VIIc. Are those wood slats or steel armor slats? If you answered this already im sorry. ive browsed through this thread but may have missed it.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2072 on: 05 Aug , 2014, 04:58 »
Hi OldNoob.
For those VIICs operating in the Arctic I guess you had wooden slats which I assume should prevent sticking to the freezing cold steel. The armoured conningtowers were normally armoured plates often included in a shelter armoured box mostly on the starboard side as protection from air machine gunattack. I cannot remember we had any of the kind on our VIIC`s.
Tore

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #2073 on: 05 Aug , 2014, 08:42 »
So Teak is wrong.

Where in the world did i get the idea they were wood? LOL

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2074 on: 05 Aug , 2014, 10:24 »
OldNoob.
Teak during WW2 in Germany?
Tore

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #2075 on: 05 Aug , 2014, 17:26 »
OldNoob.
Teak during WW2 in Germany?
Tore
Indeed. Senility on my part. Thank you for getting me straight.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2076 on: 06 Aug , 2014, 17:33 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Have you ever got your general U-Boat wiring diagram copied?  I believe a great deal could be restored if it were in a digital format?

My main reason for this post....  I have completed my book "Skizzenbuch" for the U-Boat Type VIIC and I would highly regard your personal opinion about the book.  It's 75 percent diagrams and photos with a lot of your words and advice to me about technical matters.  I have been studying the U-Boat since 2003, but I have learned a great deal in the past few months from this web site and you in particular (Thank you!)...

If you could send me [donprince5207@comcast.net] your email address, then I could send you a link to the dropbox that contains the pdf file... 

Kind regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2077 on: 06 Aug , 2014, 22:36 »
Don.
I am  up at my farm way out in the deep forrest of Norway for the summer and I haven`t seen my grandsons for weeks, however they are coming up this week end and I shall discuss the matter then. As to your skizzenbuch I am looking forward to seeing it and shall send you an Email.
Tore
« Last Edit: 06 Aug , 2014, 22:47 by tore »

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
    • WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic
« Reply #2078 on: 07 Aug , 2014, 09:20 »
Tore, do you remember if this symbol thing had a color? I think I've read something somewhere in the manual once about colors of these symbols.

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #2079 on: 07 Aug , 2014, 11:38 »

Tore, do you remember if this symbol thing had a color? I think I've read something somewhere in the manual once about colors of these symbols.
Mark, manual says about red marks.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2080 on: 07 Aug , 2014, 12:48 »
Thanks - the other one (rounded) has no specified color right?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2081 on: 07 Aug , 2014, 13:41 »
Mark.
We had only one VIIC with the old compasscasing (U 995)the others had the new version and by the way  on the present day museum U 995 they have installed the new compasscasing for some reason. We did not use these symbols, thus all the symbols were painted as the rest of the superstructure. On the new compasscasing for the other VIICs I can`t remember it was any symbols. On a black and white photo of the old U 552 it seems that the symbol has the same tint as the compasscasing which obviously is painted black . But as Maciek says manuals is mentioning red.
Tore
« Last Edit: 07 Aug , 2014, 13:45 by tore »

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2082 on: 07 Aug , 2014, 14:39 »
It's boring without colors  ;) I'll use red.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2083 on: 07 Aug , 2014, 16:21 »
Hi VIC20,

I built a 1/32 model of U-96 and decided the Laughing Sawfish was a green color based on the following article by Dougie Martindale...

http://amp.rokket.biz/docs/laughing_sawfish.pdf

My Brass Tower 1/32nd model....

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2084 on: 07 Aug , 2014, 16:25 »
FYI....  That fishie is hand painted and not a decal...

Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD