Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576586 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #1530 on: 11 Oct , 2013, 15:43 »
Next few pipes...

Pink = LO Cooler to Coll & Dist Manifold
Violet = Runs toward the pump (which I can not remember it name).
Green = from LO pump to pink line.
Yellow = from reducing valve to Green line.

Hi Tore

Found a small mistake in the piping this morning. I had to realign the Starboard LO Cooler to Coll & Dist Manifold (Pink) line as it was going through the Cooling Water/Corrosion System pipe :o

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1531 on: 12 Oct , 2013, 08:06 »
Hi Simon!
Nice to have you back in action. I am not 100% sure I understand how the return from the luboil pressurecontrolvalve and the stb.luboilcooler got into the anticorrosion/ coolingwaterpipe on you previous drawing as I fail to see the hook up. A bit hard to see on a small cut out of the system I guess. Mixing luboil with coolingwater is of course no good. ;D
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1532 on: 12 Oct , 2013, 12:50 »
Hi Tore

Started drawing again a few days ago, it taken me this time to remember where I was on the drawing from last summer.

Hoping to finish the engine room this summer it will be my third summer on the engine room (18 months in total). I will not be able to spend as much time drawing this summer as I did last summer because I also need to work on my house and I just started a Masters Degree this winter.

I planning to finish the last few pipes in the top view, then redraw all the piping in the side view.

Had a very interest winter here in New Zealand, started with a huge snow storm which we got over 1.5 m of new snow in a few days. This resulted in a huge avalanche in my research area, I was able to got some great data :) The avalanche run a total distance of 1,984 m (6510 feet), cover an area 29.5 hectare (72.9 Acres) and had a mass of 50,686 tons. For the rest of the winter we got very little new snow :(

Now is springtime in New Zealand and we had more new snow in the last two weeks than we got for much of the winter, and it forecast to snow again this week ::)

Simon

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1533 on: 12 Oct , 2013, 13:09 »
Hi Simon.
While we are bracing for the snow and avalances after the best summer in 25 years you are entering the season for flowers and green grass, some difference. I shall be happy to follow you through the last part of the engineroom and look forward to seeing the final product which I  am sure shall be outstanding.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1534 on: 12 Oct , 2013, 13:32 »
While we are bracing for the snow and avalances after the best summer in 25 years...

We had the warmest winter in over 100 years in New Zealand this year...Global warming :(

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1535 on: 12 Oct , 2013, 13:36 »
Access panel?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1536 on: 13 Oct , 2013, 02:00 »
Simon.
I don`t think this is an access cover. The area is the casing for the centrifugal governor and linkage having ample access by the large sidecovers. I am not 100% sure of what it is, some foundation placed in the centerline and right above the camshaft. I am inclined to believe it is some "residue" from the direct reversible execution shifting the camshaft when changing direction of rotation. As you know the direct reversible mechanisms are removed from the engines as from 1943, but some minor fittings were left on the engines. I am posting a few photos showing what I mean. An interesting detail of the stb engine is the governorlinkage coming out of the casing which you see differs from the port linkage. I might have mentioned it before, but the reason is that stb engine is the "mirror" execution of the port and hence the fuel rodlinkage has to move the opposite direction.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1537 on: 13 Oct , 2013, 21:53 »
Tore, here a better view of this area.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1538 on: 14 Oct , 2013, 01:30 »
Simon a very good photo. I don`t think it is any foundation. I f you look at the aft end drawing of the starboard engine there is nothing fitted in this empty space and on your photo are only two nuts on two studs. It migth be the studs are the fixing of the support pedestal for the governor leverarm inside the linkagecasing, I guess you should only draw the two nuts/studs.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1539 on: 14 Oct , 2013, 07:09 »
The situation for the German submarine fleet during the last days of WW2.
 During the last months of WW2 the center of gravity for the German submarinefleet moved to  Norwegian waters. A lot of confusion exist as to of the last months and weeks of the German WW2 submarinefleet. A RAF Air commodore (rtd) Derek Waller being an UK hobbyhistorian has carried out an interesting research on this subject and the time prior to the Deadlight. 87 U boats surrendered in Norwegian ports and further 9 from sea, making the total of 96 boats surrendering. His paper name these boats and they destiny, further he disclose the circumstances how France and Norway ended up with acquiring some of these boats in their submarine fleet. I have been in contact with Derek Waller and got his permission to share his recent paper on the subject which I trust shall have  interest for some of you.
Tore

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #1540 on: 14 Oct , 2013, 09:20 »
Tore this is SUPER. Excellent piece of information, thanks for sharing!

U-4706: "Sold to the Royal Norwegian Yacht Club on 14 Apr 50". Fantastic  ;D
« Last Edit: 14 Oct , 2013, 09:21 by SG »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1541 on: 14 Oct , 2013, 15:34 »
Tore, I am working on the Collecting Tank system. I have added the piping needed around the engines.

I have added two funnel under the Auxiliary Lubricating Oil Pump (as seen in the drawing) and one funnel under the Hand Lubricating Oil Pump (as seen in the drawing).

Where would you also want to collect FO and LO? Maybe under the 'new' LO Filter?

Thanks, Simon.

http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate9.htm

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1542 on: 15 Oct , 2013, 01:24 »
Simon.
Basically you should have a spillcollection tray or drain on any component handling fuel or luboil. However this is not 100% so. If we consentrate on the fuelsystem, plate U 570Plate 9 is showing the MAN system and not GW. The GW system has the fueltransfer pump up front of the engine and has a driptray under the pump with a drain to the fueloil collecting tank. On the U 995  there are for some reason two different fuel drainage systems on port and stb. engines. The engine top drainage  from the port engine ends in a collecting box on the camshaftcase, whereas on stb this box is removed and the pipes goes directly down under the floorplates to ,I presume, the fueloil collecting tank. The fueloil knifefilters on  the camshaftcases have driptrays with drain on both engines. The drains goes directly down under the floorplating and I presume to the fueloil collecting tank. Strangely enough the duplex fuelfilters up front of the engines have no driptray or drain.
Tore
« Last Edit: 15 Oct , 2013, 01:30 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1543 on: 15 Oct , 2013, 01:54 »
Simon
Luboil drain.
We have no drawings of the luboil filters, but I should say  driptrays for the main luboil filters would be desireable. There are some problems though. The filters are well below the floorplating and as I should assume the drainage would go to the dirty luboiltank aft in the engineroom  it would be a problem with a gravity drainage to the tank. You could use the same dirty oil handpump on the aft engineroom bulkhead which is used for emptying the dirty oiltank. I`ll check if I can  see such a connection on some photos.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1544 on: 15 Oct , 2013, 06:26 »
Simon.
I have checked with all the photos I have, but cannot for sure see any  connection on the dirty oil handpump for a possible drain. For the removed centrifuge module (encircled within the dotted red line) you see a pipe for dirty oilsludge from the centrifuge marked to the bilge, I don`t believe this end up directly in the bilge. When the oil centrifuge module was removed and substituted by filters, it could be they kept this pipe for the drain from the filter, however to have this confirmed without any drawing or photo would be difficult and it would still remained to be seen where it ends.
Tore
« Last Edit: 15 Oct , 2013, 08:38 by tore »