Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576612 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #1365 on: 21 Mar , 2013, 18:00 »
Tore, does this line just drain into the bilge?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1366 on: 22 Mar , 2013, 01:50 »
Simon.
The pipes shown are connected to cocks on the highest points of the ME cooling watersystem and is the ME main venting leading to funnels on a common pipe to the bilge. This  system is easy to mix up with a pipe of same size and in same area going along the engine as well. This pipe is connected to each cooled exhaust outlet bend with no cocks or valves.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1367 on: 22 Mar , 2013, 14:01 »
Tore, just finishing off lose end of pipes in my drawing.

I was wondering about this line. Is it a vent line? And went does it go?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1368 on: 22 Mar , 2013, 14:34 »
Tore, just checking about this line; drain line from the reducing valve and running to the dirty oil tank?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1369 on: 22 Mar , 2013, 15:18 »

Simon.
I do not believe it is a ventpipe because it is too low and has no shut off cocks. If you look at plate 13 you`ll see a coolingwater pipe going along the engine inboard. There is no such pipe on the engine, I believe it soul go outboard and is the pipe discussed marked red below. As the pipe has a flow of coolingwater it is hooked up to the outlet somehow, plate 13 does not fit very well, but I guess it connect somewhere down in the bilge close to the aft bulkhead, I guess we have to look in this area.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1370 on: 22 Mar , 2013, 15:26 »
Tore, just checking about this line; drain line from the reducing valve and running to the dirty oil tank?

Simon.
I don`t believe to the dirty oiltank, more probably to the relevant system oiltank as it is clean oil.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1371 on: 22 Mar , 2013, 15:40 »
Simon.
Luboil reducing valve.
Are you sure this line is for draining and not manometer?-
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1372 on: 22 Mar , 2013, 16:01 »
Simon.
Luboil reducing valve.
Are you sure this line is for draining and not manometer?-
Tore

Tore, do you think it could be for a manometer? There no manometer marked on plate 14 around this reducing valve

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1373 on: 22 Mar , 2013, 16:18 »

Simon.
I do not believe it is a ventpipe because it is too low and has no shut off cocks. If you look at plate 13 you`ll see a coolingwater pipe going along the engine inboard. There is no such pipe on the engine, I believe it soul go outboard and is the pipe discussed marked red below. As the pipe has a flow of coolingwater it is hooked up to the outlet somehow, plate 13 does not fit very well, but I guess it connect somewhere down in the bilge close to the aft bulkhead, I guess we have to look in this area.
Tore

Tore, I think the chance of finding this connection point would be nearly impossible with the photo

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1374 on: 23 Mar , 2013, 01:38 »
Simon.
I believe you don`t have to wait hooking up the pipeline. Somehow I think you have connected the exhaust manifold venting pipes to the main coolingwater outlet pipe instead of  the drain funnel. If you put the ventingpipe to the funnel and the exhaust cooling header outletpipe where the venting pipe is at present, the system will work. See sketch below.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1375 on: 23 Mar , 2013, 02:29 »
Simon.
Luboil reducing valve.
I guess the pipe is a manometerpipe. Below is the system, there are two small pipe connections on the reducing valve, the large is the returnpipe to the system oiltank joining the overflowpipe from the luboil cooler and the luboilpump (yellow). The smaller pipe must be a manometerpipe, you want definitely to know that this important valve works with the correct pressure. There is a manometer at the end of the engine as well.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1376 on: 23 Mar , 2013, 14:20 »
Simon.
Luboil reducing valve.
I guess the pipe is a manometerpipe. Below is the system, there are two small pipe connections on the reducing valve, the large is the returnpipe to the system oiltank joining the overflowpipe from the luboil cooler and the luboilpump (yellow). The smaller pipe must be a manometerpipe, you want definitely to know that this important valve works with the correct pressure. There is a manometer at the end of the engine as well.
Tore

Tore, I don't believe this small pipe (yellow) is connected to the bigger pipe ???

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1377 on: 23 Mar , 2013, 14:55 »
Tore, while looking in to the other pipe above. I was able to track and trail the green pipe with photo's and the shipyard drawing (red arrow = Relief valve 'h') (purple arrow = the section you are see in photo's).

I am now trying to trail the main outlet pipe from the pump (you can see it under the red arrow and ends at the black round circle) I am now trying to decide where to drop is pipe down 1, 2, or 3 ;D

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1378 on: 24 Mar , 2013, 01:59 »
Simon.
Lubeoil reducing valve.
I agree with you the lager pipe is not connected to the reducingvalve. I shall have to modify my assumption and remove the manometer as I believe the only small pipe
out from the valve have to be the return pipe joining the pipe from the lubeoil cooler and pumprelieve valve to the system oiltank of the relevant engine.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1379 on: 24 Mar , 2013, 04:08 »
Simon
Luboil reliefvalve drain.
I guess it is easy to get confused here. Just remember the drain from luboil cooler, reducingvalve 3>1.5 atu and the relief valve are all connecting and returns via a common pipe to the relevant system tank. The outlet pipe just before the main luboil pumpsuction flange is a connection to the lub oil discharge pipe. For being a simple gearpump, the luboil pump looks a bit complicated, I believe it is a left over from the direct reversible engine where the gearpump had to operate in both turning direction.
Tore
« Last Edit: 25 Mar , 2013, 00:16 by tore »