Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576498 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #1335 on: 17 Mar , 2013, 22:52 »
Added the deck plating today :)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1336 on: 18 Mar , 2013, 01:40 »
Simon.
Too bad to cover up all the hard work you had with the piping ;D . Just a small detail, if you look at the u historia photo of the reserve luboil/fueltransfer pump forward port
side you`ll see the deckplates don`t have the red marked plate below. I know your lay out is according to some drawings, but the original luboil-and coolingwater pipes does not allow for this plate on poor old U 995. It could of course be one of these deviations previously mentioned.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1337 on: 18 Mar , 2013, 07:15 »
Simon.
Deckplates.
I checked a photo I had of the plates of u 995 presumeably from 1965- 70 so most probably in the original execution. An accurate position of the deck operated valves are hard to established, but a  view of the diamond shaped pattern is quite clear. Another detail is the step down which seems to be aft of the vibration damper.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1338 on: 18 Mar , 2013, 13:04 »
Simon.
Deckplates.
I checked a photo I had of the plates of u 995 presumeably from 1965- 70 so most probably in the original execution. An accurate position of the deck operated valves are hard to established, but a  view of the diamond shaped pattern is quite clear. Another detail is the step down which seems to be aft of the vibration damper.
Tore

Very interesting!

Tore, do you think its original German floor plating or original floor plating layout?

I had believed the original German floor plating was pattern as I have drawn with a

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1339 on: 18 Mar , 2013, 13:14 »
Simon.
I cannot imagine the floorplates were changed in Norway and then changed in Germany once more, I would say it is a pretty good chance the diamond pattern are the original plates.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1340 on: 18 Mar , 2013, 13:43 »
Simon.
I just checked another photo of the engine room deckplates of U 178 and by treating the photo in photoshop I got the pattern of the plates and they are diamond shaped as well as can be seen on the picture below.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1341 on: 18 Mar , 2013, 14:00 »
I just checked my books, and found two pictures of the engine floor plate; One with 

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1342 on: 18 Mar , 2013, 14:06 »
Simon.
Just another confirmation of these deviations which we have seen so many of.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1343 on: 18 Mar , 2013, 14:16 »
Tore, I can not found any photo's that show the foot of the rocker arm base (yellow). There one bolt at the front but I imagine you would need more than one large bolt to hold this on to the engine.

Tore, can you give me any idea of the shape of the foot and how many bolts are needed?   

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1344 on: 18 Mar , 2013, 15:05 »
Simon.
The visible bolt on the exhaust/ inletvalve pedestal is taking the peak of the load but I am sure there must be a bolt on the other side. Normally it should be a bolt of the same size, but this second bolt could from a stress point of view be smaller although that would be unconventional. I`ll keep looking to see if I can find a solution.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1345 on: 18 Mar , 2013, 15:23 »
Simon.
The visible bolt on the exhaust/ inletvalve pedestal is taking the peak of the load but I am sure there must be a bolt on the other side. Normally it should be a bolt of the same size, but this second bolt could from a stress point of view be smaller although that would be unconventional. I`ll keep looking to see if I can find a solution.
Tore

Tore, I was thinking of a 3 bolt fixs (green). Do you think it would only be two (green and orange)?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1346 on: 18 Mar , 2013, 15:33 »
Simon.
May be two smaller (green) will do particularly taking the shape of the base plate into account.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1347 on: 18 Mar , 2013, 15:36 »
Added the missing locking ring ;)

Old drawing - left; New drawing - right

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1348 on: 18 Mar , 2013, 16:42 »
Simon
We are entering a gray zone for me, I can not remember how the airduct from the Roots blower is entering the airmanifold. It is annoying because I my shelf dismantled the blower entirely ( some 60 years ago) :) . I have superimposed your drawing on top of a layout drawing  to figure out the arrangement. The confusion is on an appearant large ( yellow coloured ) square opening which I thought would be the inlet to the manifold. I just show you the picture may be you have more materials helping you to figure out the connection.
Tore

Tore, what is your suggest in how I should enter the airduct to in the Roots blower? Should I just extent the pipe across to the blower for now?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1349 on: 19 Mar , 2013, 01:41 »
Simon
Airflow Roots blower.
Below is a drawing where I have suggested the airflow (green) of the Roots blower.  This would mean that you just extend the air manifold  so it matches the blower casing, the airduct shall then be flanged vertically to the Roots airduct. ( my assumption). Yellow duct is inlet duct for the aft cylinder.
Tore
« Last Edit: 19 Mar , 2013, 01:43 by tore »