Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576654 times)

TopherVIIC

Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #1305 on: 12 Mar , 2013, 10:56 »
Nice work Simon - as always! I like the pressure gauge. As an artist, I salute your bravery for taking on such a complicated piece!
Christopher

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1306 on: 12 Mar , 2013, 11:01 »
Tore, in the photo "Exhaust Manifold.JPG" what is the single pressure gauge for? Should there be two of them?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1307 on: 12 Mar , 2013, 11:12 »
Tore, bottom left of this photo look like the Thereometer that this found near the bend, do you think it just fixed to the main exhuest pipe?

http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate13.htm

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1308 on: 12 Mar , 2013, 11:13 »
Simon.
You have even introduced the grease connections on the group exhaust valve. I assume the pipes goes to a distributionpoint which is fed by the greasepump on the aft bulkhead. The manometer is of course mandatory on this point. Good work!
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1309 on: 12 Mar , 2013, 11:32 »
Simon.
Sight glasses.
We have indeed not installed the sigth glasses. I have not been able to locate the glasses and presume they are there but further down near the funnel. This is the last check on the coolingwater before leaving the engineroom.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1310 on: 12 Mar , 2013, 11:36 »
Simon.
Thermometer.
 I think it is, good spotting!
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1311 on: 12 Mar , 2013, 11:59 »
Simon
I have tried to find the photo Exhaustmanifold jpg. but in vain. Seems to be too many photos and no system could you just show it?
Tore
« Last Edit: 12 Mar , 2013, 12:08 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1312 on: 12 Mar , 2013, 12:56 »
Simon
I have tried to find the photo Exhaustmanifold jpg. but in vain. Seems to be too many photos and no system could you just show it?
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1313 on: 12 Mar , 2013, 13:07 »
Simon.
Manometer-
Thanks. I don`t believe this has anything to do with the exhaustmanifold. The manometer is marked at 12 atu which is the normal working pressure for the LP air supply. I
would assume it is the supply air for the main engine clutches.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1314 on: 12 Mar , 2013, 13:19 »
Simon.
You have even introduced the grease connections on the group exhaust valve. I assume the pipes goes to a distributionpoint which is fed by the greasepump on the aft bulkhead. The manometer is of course mandatory on this point. Good work!
Tore

Starting to add this system, but it hard as there areas of it that are missing in photo's  :(

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1315 on: 12 Mar , 2013, 13:21 »
Simon.
Manometer-
Thanks. I don`t believe this has anything to do with the exhaustmanifold. The manometer is marked at 12 atu which is the normal working pressure for the LP air supply. I
would assume it is the supply air for the main engine clutches.
Tore

Main engine clutches.

Next on the long list, likely to start this in about two weeks  :)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1316 on: 12 Mar , 2013, 13:48 »
Simon
Main engine clutches.
I don`t believe the clutches are going to cause to much problem, I guess you are only to draw the visible parts. I `ll put up a  sketch showing how the system works for a better understanding as it makes it easier to draw.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1317 on: 13 Mar , 2013, 01:14 »
Simon.
Greaselines.
I agree the greaselines are not easy to follow. I don`t believe the pipes are fitted in a very strict pattern and  you would probably find variation from boat to boat,so I would suggest you put the pipes where it is natural to allocate same,, and start with the known points. I believe there are two pipes out of the pump , I assume they are the port and starboard supply pipes as you have only one grease pump in this area. For each side, somewhere between the pump and the external selector valve you should have a distributor block, normally just a block without a selector, from this block you have one pipe to the external distributor and two pipes to the group exhaustvalve. I believe the rest of the grease points have greasecups like the residue ballast vent.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1318 on: 13 Mar , 2013, 02:26 »
Simon.
I have to correct my last post :( , the group exhaustvalves have  locally placed greasecups with a distributor as can be seen on the u historia photo. I guess this makes life a bit easier as the two outgoing pipes would then be to port and starboard outboard grease selector. Thus all the internal grease points in this area have greasecups and distributors locally placed like the residue venting valves. :D
Tore
« Last Edit: 13 Mar , 2013, 09:15 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1319 on: 13 Mar , 2013, 07:56 »
Simon.
Engine clutches.
Allthough you are planning to start with the clutches in about two weeks time I shall give a short description of the system.
 The clutch is a double cone frictionclutch operated pneumatic/hydraulic by linkages. Air of 12 atu comes from two small flasks ( not identified by me) to a distribution cock (red handle on the aft bulkhead) which direct two air pipes (in and out) to a hydraulic cylinder fixed to the aft bulkhead. The actuating piston in the cylinder has a pistonrod with bore connected to the actuating lever (yellow). This lever is has a "hinge" in the bilge and engages half way down to a shaftsleeve (light green) by a wheel. Moving the actuating lever back and forth slides the shaftsleeve which is connected to the inner linkage of the clutch and connect and disconnect the friction cones. The linkages consist of a crankbell lever which snap the cones in a locked in position. On the u historia photo you see the wormrod and the pistonrod fixed to a yoke having two guide rods. At the ends of the guiderods are some peculiar "nuts". These are spring loaded endstoppers which when the linkage snaps in position pushes the actuating lever a fraction back to release the engagement at the shaft slide to prevent a possible hotrunning. The clutch can be operated by a handwheel for emergency. Turning the handwheel turns the wormshaft (red)  which moves the (nut,pink) inside the the pistonrod. The nut moves in a slot to allow free movement of the pistonrod under normal circumstances, in emergency the "nut"engage the ends of the slot and moves the rod in and out.
Tore
« Last Edit: 13 Mar , 2013, 09:30 by tore »