Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576549 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #1065 on: 18 Jan , 2013, 07:59 »
Simon.
Looks fine to me.  I haven`t checked, but it migth be it is funnel and  connection the to collectingtank as you would`t like to drain lube-or fueloil directly into the bilge. 
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1066 on: 18 Jan , 2013, 08:29 »
Auxiliary Cooling Water Pump

Simon.
The aux coolingwater pump looks fine as well. I don`t know if you want at this point to introduce the connection to the handcoolingpump,suction connection to the fuelcollecting tank and anticorrosion cock. In that case it is only the connection from the valvechest to the E-room which remains before the whole system is ready. ;D
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1067 on: 18 Jan , 2013, 08:42 »
Emergency luboilpump/ fuel transferpump.
Simon very wisely introduced above two drainvalves into the aux. luboil/ fueltransfer pumpsystem. As some might have noticed it is  unusual to have two drainvalves placed in such a way. The reason would be that this pump is handling both lubeoil and fueloil and you wouldn`t have any residue of the other in the pump when shifting to another fluid.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1068 on: 18 Jan , 2013, 10:41 »
Simon.
Looks fine to me.  I haven`t checked, but it migth be it is funnel and  connection the to collectingtank as you would`t like to drain lube-or fueloil directly into the bilge. 
Tore

Tore, a very good point! I check plate 9 and it looks like there a hose thread connection on the end of the valves.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1069 on: 18 Jan , 2013, 12:28 »
Auxiliary Cooling Water Pump

Simon.
The aux coolingwater pump looks fine as well. I don`t know if you want at this point to introduce the connection to the handcoolingpump,suction connection to the fuelcollecting tank and anticorrosion cock. In that case it is only the connection from the valvechest to the E-room which remains before the whole system is ready. ;D
Tore

Tore, suction line to the hand cooling pump. Could not found the original German alignment for this line, so best guess :-)   

Fig. 2. Below floor.

Fig. 2. Above floor.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1070 on: 18 Jan , 2013, 13:55 »
Simon.
Handcooling pump pipe.
This is not far away from what it should be. I guess there were slight deviations between the various boats. When I, after a couple of years on U 995  KNM Kaura, changed to U 926 KNM Kya, I noticed very much the differences, so I guess you have some play margins.
Tore
« Last Edit: 18 Jan , 2013, 14:48 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1071 on: 18 Jan , 2013, 14:03 »
Simon.
Handcooling pump pipe.
This is not far away from what it should be. I guess there were slight deviations between the various boats. When I, after a couple of years on U 995  KNM Kaura, changed to U 1202 KNM Kya, I noticed very much the differences, so I guess you have some play margins.
Tore

That very interesting, I would not imagine there was much different. I would had believe all the pipes and valves were in the identical places.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1072 on: 18 Jan , 2013, 15:15 »
Simon.
Correction KNM Kya was U 926. I seems to remember the   U 926 KNM Kya and U 995 KNM Kaura had relatively small differences,  the U 1202 KNM Kinn  was a bit more different from U 995. All three built at different yards in 1943.
U 995 was built at Blohm & Voss, Hamburg, U 926 was built at Neptun Werft Rostock AG  and U 1202 at F.S. Schichau Werft, Danzig.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1073 on: 20 Jan , 2013, 06:22 »
Simon.
It strikes me that all the wooden handles on the handpumps of U 995 have been removed. The pumps were of the old fashioned type having a fairly large wooden handle a indicated on the sketch below.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1074 on: 24 Jan , 2013, 01:55 »
Hi Tore

All this well down here in the Southern Hemisphere, just needed a break from drawing and also needed to catchup on so other work.

Boatyards should be reopen next week.

Simon

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1075 on: 24 Jan , 2013, 04:53 »
Simon
Good to hear! Lucky you in the Southern Hemisphere having summer. Here right now, snow and freezing - 20 Centigrades. The surveyor is ready for the reopening of the yard.
Tore 

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1076 on: 30 Jan , 2013, 12:21 »
Hi Tore

Just a question about pipe sizes. I would had thought that the low pressure feed to the Hand LO pump (Purple Arrow) would be larger then the return (Green Arrow) from the Hand LO pump.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1077 on: 30 Jan , 2013, 14:14 »

Fig. 1. Below deck.

Fig. 2. Above deck.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1078 on: 30 Jan , 2013, 14:45 »
Hi Tore

Just a question about pipe sizes. I would had thought that the low pressure feed to the Hand LO pump (Purple Arrow) would be larger then the return (Green Arrow) from the Hand LO pump.

Hi Simon.
Luboil system.
The purple pipe is only the suction pipe to the handpump whereas the green pipe is the main supply from the electrically driven aux luboilpump as well as the discharge pipe from the handpump. The green pipe has to be fullsize mainengine luboilsupplypipe. The handpump is only a primingpump f.i. when turning the engine during maintenance etc.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1079 on: 31 Jan , 2013, 00:06 »
Simon
Luboil system
Further to my remark on the hand lub oilpump, I guess you shall find the dischargepipe from the hand pump has a smaller diameter until it enters the pipeline from the aux. luboil pump to the distributionchest port and starboard main engine system.
Tore