Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576425 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #1050 on: 13 Jan , 2013, 04:12 »
Simon.
 While checking the pipesystems today I believe I have discovered a difference between the normal systemsketch and the actual cooling water pipelayout. The warm cooling waterpipe pipe from the exhaustmanifold does not lead directly to the heatexchanger nor to the pump inletpipe but to the main coolingwater crossoverpipe and enters just before the filter after the gatevalve. See systemsketch below ( I have only shown the port side). This means that the water is mixing in the crossoverpipe, if it should be used for the heatexchanger they would need an unmixed supply for the engine I don`t believe it matters if you mix it in the main supplyline or at the pump inletpipe.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1051 on: 13 Jan , 2013, 11:42 »
Simon.
 While checking the pipesystems today I believe I have discovered a difference between the normal systemsketch and the actual cooling water pipelayout. The warm cooling waterpipe pipe from the exhaustmanifold does not lead directly to the heatexchanger nor to the pump inletpipe but to the main coolingwater crossoverpipe and enters just before the filter after the gatevalve. See systemsketch below ( I have only shown the port side). This means that the water is mixing in the crossoverpipe, if it should be used for the heatexchanger they would need an unmixed supply for the engine I don`t believe it matters if you mix it in the main supplyline or at the pump inletpipe.
Tore

Tore, do you think this change is German or Norwegian?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1052 on: 13 Jan , 2013, 12:17 »
Simon
I believe  the original yarddrawings are the to be followed. It seems to me there is a change in the lay out design at a certain time. The superstructure changed all the times why should`t the interior be refined based on experience as well. It still puzzles me the we have got the type, make and capacity of the purifier, but we haven`t seen the trace of it in any of the drawings available. I am sure we shall find out sooner or later as before.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1053 on: 13 Jan , 2013, 12:42 »
Tore, you may find this useful, its the outline of the floor in the engine room.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1054 on: 13 Jan , 2013, 13:32 »
Simon.
This is pretty much as it should be. I am just wandering how it looks when all the other piping is drawn in :D .
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1055 on: 14 Jan , 2013, 17:48 »
Tore, here a small test example of the floor plating between the two engines, does it look Ok?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1056 on: 15 Jan , 2013, 10:22 »
Simon.
 This is just the way I remember it! ;D
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1057 on: 15 Jan , 2013, 12:28 »
The more I  study drawings and pictures the more I am fascinated by the developments and changes to the VII Cs, howewer it is not so easy time fix the various changes. Right now I am investigating when various changes in the engineroom. 
 The dieselengines were originally direct reversible. At a certain point this was changed into a non reversible version. This is clearly visible on photos  when the vertically fitted reversing cylinder at the maneuvering stand is removed. Does anybody have information when the change was done.
The most common way of maneuvering submarines were by the E-motors. The German navy preferred to have maneuvering by diesels for quite a time. It required a fairly large complication to the diesels, was slow and used a lot of air. I never understood why they had such engines.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1058 on: 16 Jan , 2013, 17:04 »
Sorry, just more pipes ;D ;)

Tore, added the new exhaust to crossover pipe.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1059 on: 17 Jan , 2013, 00:07 »
Simon.
I believe the system so far is OK. Quite a reseach lays behind this layout as the system deviate considerably from the available systemsketches which I guess are from the early 40 ties. Your layout is more as the U 1308 would look like I should say. But there are more spaghetti to be put in the bowl! ;)
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1060 on: 17 Jan , 2013, 00:21 »
Simon.
I believe the system so far is OK. Quite a reseach lays behind this layout as the system deviate considerably from the available systemsketches which I guess are from the early 40 ties. Your layout is more as the U 1308 would look like I should say. But there are more spaghetti to be put in the bowl! ;)
Tore

Imagine what it looks like under the floor in the Control Room :o :o

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1061 on: 17 Jan , 2013, 02:06 »
Simon.
The engineroom space under the foorplates is deeper and the stack of pipes on top of each other are higher . The physical topview would be a challenge to read and the sideview possibly a bigger challenge to draw.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1062 on: 17 Jan , 2013, 02:12 »
Simon.
I hope to have my suggestions for the revised aux coolingwater details as well as the luboil ready by tonight. We shall have deviations from the systemsketches here as well I am afraid. ;) :)
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1063 on: 17 Jan , 2013, 21:57 »
Auxiliary Cooling Water Pump

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia