Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576712 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #990 on: 07 Jan , 2013, 14:21 »
Simon.
I guess we a have a few more items we can elaborate, starting with the aux. luboilpump and its 2nd task, fueloil transport. If you look at the system below you are able to trace the red encircled valvechest and the fuel filling line with the coarsefilter. If you look towards the galleydoor stb side, you find the fuel filling line with the fairly large black valve wheel disappearing towards the floorplates, just like the luboil filling line on the port side of the door, howewer the coarse filter is missing. Then you go to u historia engineroom page and one of the last pictures there you`ll find the coarsefilter (clearly showing the design) and the valvechest A underneath the heatexchanger, (circular large tube), from this valvechest it is possible to follow the suction and dichargepipe up to the pressure hullside and across to portside and the pump. This is quite a deviation from the pipesketch.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #991 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 01:33 »
I can not believe it! After spending all day looking at the Lubricating Oil System, I was working out one more original German pipe layout and arrangement  :) :) :) :) :)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #992 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 02:10 »
Simon.
Look good and easy to understand :D . As so many times before there are  extra details which belongs to even a simple system. When you start to draw the enginedriven pumps discharge outlet you have the branch off to the reliefvalves which I believe you shall find way out to the port and starboard side. See your own picture below.
Another detail on the suction pipe is the weedblow connection on the seaboard valve and, as you love to go into tiny details, the small ball on the seaboard valve.
Tore 
« Last Edit: 08 Jan , 2013, 04:41 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #993 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 06:05 »
Simon.
Maciek provided a crossection drawing of the engine driven coolingwater pump some time ago. Below I have tried to illustrate the working of same. It looks as the pump has one common suction inlet and the branch off to the two pumpcylinders is intergrated in the pump (blue) the discharge( red) is howewer two flangeconnection on each side of the pump. The comparatively large red chamber is even extended by the bulb (damper) to dampen the pulsation of the waterpressure.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #994 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 08:11 »
Simon.
In my yesterdays post on fuel fillingsystem I went a bit far drawing the conclusion of having discovered the fuel chest :-\ . The fuelfilling pipe, valves and the coarsefilter are OK, but connecting it up to the chest under the heatexchanger is a bit far fetched, I guess we have to go to the port side. I believe now the chest is the main cooling waterchest which is relevant to your last drawing of the coolingwater suctionpipe and pumps. The handles of the valvechest are without doubt seawater valvehandles and I cannot find any fuelmeter. Thus the fuelchest is still missing and probably hidden underneath the floorplates :( .
Tore
« Last Edit: 08 Jan , 2013, 08:13 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #995 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 11:15 »
Simon.
Look good and easy to understand :D . As so many times before there are  extra details which belongs to even a simple system. When you start to draw the enginedriven pumps discharge outlet you have the branch off to the reliefvalves which I believe you shall find way out to the port and starboard side. See your own picture below.
Another detail on the suction pipe is the weedblow connection on the seaboard valve and, as you love to go into tiny details, the small ball on the seaboard valve.
Tore

Relief valves
This is great! I have always wonder that this was :) :)

Weed blow
I have started to add this layer but yet to finish it ;)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #996 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 11:24 »
Simon.
Maciek provided a crossection drawing of the engine driven coolingwater pump some time ago. Below I have tried to illustrate the working of same. It looks as the pump has one common suction inlet and the branch off to the two pumpcylinders is intergrated in the pump (blue) the discharge( red) is howewer two flangeconnection on each side of the pump. The comparatively large red chamber is even extended by the bulb (damper) to dampen the pulsation of the waterpressure.
Tore

Tore, thanks for confirming the location of the cooling water discharge. I was virtually sure this was the outlet but was not 100% sure.

Yesterday while looking at the Lubricating Oil system I search the net about the duplex piston pumps, very interesting.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #997 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 11:37 »
Simon.
In my yesterdays post on fuel fillingsystem I went a bit far drawing the conclusion of having discovered the fuel chest :-\ . The fuelfilling pipe, valves and the coarsefilter are OK, but connecting it up to the chest under the heatexchanger is a bit far fetched, I guess we have to go to the port side. I believe now the chest is the main cooling waterchest which is relevant to your last drawing of the coolingwater suctionpipe and pumps. The handles of the valvechest are without doubt seawater valvehandles and I cannot find any fuelmeter. Thus the fuelchest is still missing and probably hidden underneath the floorplates :( .
Tore

I have located fuel chest manifield, it under the step into the engine room from the Galley. The Germans even cut a hand hold in the face of the step for access.

Q. Tore, I was wondering were the floor plating

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #998 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 12:07 »
Very good Simon!
As far as I remember the floorplates were fixed by countersinked screws, I am no100 % sure. Anyhow the plates were fixed, imagine the rattling produced by loose plates.
Tore
« Last Edit: 08 Jan , 2013, 12:22 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #999 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 12:18 »
Simon.
Looking at your above photo I wonder if the two guys are "tanning"under an ultraviolet lamp. We had such a lamp left behind by the Germans and I used it a few times. It was a monster making spark noises and smelled ozone. It did probably more harm than good.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1000 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 12:56 »
Q. Tore, the large funnel under the relief valves, would it just run into the bilge?

Post number 1000  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: 08 Jan , 2013, 13:06 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1001 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 13:24 »
Quite a different topic - I have just noticed, that in the aft part of the control room, where should be located the hand wheels for the head valves of the diesel engine air induction trunk, ventilation air intake and exhaust, one of these valves - ventilation air intake is missing:

http://www.kubische-panoramen.de/index.php?id_id=5378&p=i

It looks like after installing Schnorchel, the intake of the ventilation trunk was blanked. Moreover, the foot valve closing this trunk in the diesel engine room is still in place. I suppose, it was left to allow drain the trunk after accidental flooding.
Generally, such arrangements is like ventilation system on the "Schnorchel boats" - U-Boats type XXI and XXIII.

--
Regards
Maciek

Maciek, great found! I also noted this last week when I was updating my Schnorchel drawing and was wondering what it was. I was going to ask you what it was ;D

Hi Maciek

I not know why I forget this. Several years back I noted this and email Dani at u-historia.com. It was confirm that there is a connection between both control wheels. Updated drawings at found at
http://www.u-historia.com/uhistoria/tecnico/visitaguiada/ventilaciones/ventilaciones.htm

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1002 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 13:32 »
Simon.
Coolingwater reliefvalves.
As the valve dispose only clean seawater I believe it goes into the bilge. Howewer the drain goes into a funnel at floor platelevel so when, and if it is open you can check and prevent water flushing the floorplates .
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1003 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 13:38 »
Q. Tore, the large funnel under the relief valves, would it just run into the bilge?

Post number 1000  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Yes Simon its becoming quite a mailbox! ;D
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1004 on: 08 Jan , 2013, 13:47 »
Q. Tore, I am confused about the line between the CW pump and the valve