Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576399 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #960 on: 03 Jan , 2013, 23:58 »
Off topics
U 864 type IXD2.
For those who might be interested. The Norwegian authorities has estimated the cost of rising the submarine to be approximately 1.5 billion NOK equivalent to US

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #961 on: 04 Jan , 2013, 01:52 »
Off topics
U 864 type IXD2.
For those who might be interested. The Norwegian authorities has estimated the cost of rising the submarine to be approximately 1.5 billion NOK equivalent to US

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #962 on: 04 Jan , 2013, 04:39 »
I guess you have a point Simon. However I believe this is the way they are doing it with nuclear disasters like Tschernobyl. the North Sea is like a Swiss cheese with many empty dry oilwells, why not utilise those wells. One of the tasks for the present investigation is to evaluate the condition of the mercuryflasks if they are at all movable. An interesting submarine detail is the way these 65 tonnes of mercury steelflasks are stored on board the U 864, they are stored in the box keel, I never realised they used the keel as cargohold. I bet the boat was pretty stiff at sea with 65 tonnes in the keel.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #963 on: 04 Jan , 2013, 06:23 »
Simon .
Luboil handpump.
A small correction to the luboil handpump system. The cock at the pumpoutlet is not the supplypipe, but a ventcock ( green colour). The supply
 ( pressure)pipe goes behind the pumps,dotted red, and have a branch off to the tank not visible behind the coolingwater handpump and to the top of the luboil consumptiontank having a smallvalve on the top.
Tore
« Last Edit: 04 Jan , 2013, 11:48 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #964 on: 04 Jan , 2013, 11:16 »
I guess you have a point Simon. However I believe this is the way they are doing it with nuclear disasters like Tschernobyl. the North Sea is like a Swiss cheese with many empty dry oilwells, why not utilise those wells. One of the tasks for the present investigation is to evaluate the condition of the mercuryflasks if they are at all movable. An interesting submarine detail is the way these 65 tonnes of mercury steelflasks are stored on board the U 864, they are stored in the box keel, I never realised they used the keel as cargohold. I bet the boat was pretty stiff at sea with 65 tonnes in the keel.
Tore

I think it was in "U-Boat Far From Home" by David Stevens, that I read that near the end of the war it was common for Type IX's to come home to German from Japan and German ports in Malaya and East Indies with there cargohold full of rubber or tin.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #965 on: 04 Jan , 2013, 11:46 »
Simon .
My last post on the luboil handpump was mutilated, I have corrected same just now.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #966 on: 04 Jan , 2013, 18:11 »
Engine Lubricating Oil System
  • Transfer storage tank manifold to Transfer storage tank 1.
  • Tweaked the alignment of the line to the Lubricating Oil Hand Pump so I could put in the line to the Transfer to storage tank 1 manifold (Starting to get very tight here!!!) ;D ;D
  • Added the hand pump suction house connection.
  • Added the line to LO Consumption Tank. (I have decided not to add the LO Consumption Tank as its covers to much of the detail below it).
  • Added the missing valve
« Last Edit: 04 Jan , 2013, 18:13 by NZSnowman »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #967 on: 05 Jan , 2013, 01:26 »
Simon
You are only at the starting point to fill the spaghetti bowl :D . An important pipe is the pipe through the pressurehull used for filling (bunkering) new luboil and to deliver (discharge) old. The pipe connects to the center of the valvechest, even that one between the chest and the bulkhead. The two centervalves connects the pipe respectively to the pressure and suction side of the pump. The pipe with coarsefilter and boardvalve is very visible on the port side of the engineroom-galleydoor going to the top of the pressurehull.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #968 on: 05 Jan , 2013, 02:02 »
Simon.
It is quite a puzzle to accommodate all the pipes and valves but may be you should try to  distinguish the handpump hoseconnection with valve from the main valvechest as it is not a part of same. The handwheel of the hoseconnection valve is not in place on U 995, but the valvehouse is visible.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #969 on: 05 Jan , 2013, 14:18 »
Here the new alignment and new valve of the drainage system.
http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate6.htm

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #970 on: 05 Jan , 2013, 14:23 »
Simon.
Drainagesysystem.
Much better!
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #971 on: 05 Jan , 2013, 15:30 »
I found it hard to believe the Germans design a U-boat without CAD. I am amazes how they would leave enough room for the next pipe. Two great example of this are the valves for the Cooling-water system (you can see how Engine Lubricating Oil pipes arc and bend around the valves) and the other is leaving room for the forward drainage valve.

« Last Edit: 05 Jan , 2013, 15:34 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #972 on: 05 Jan , 2013, 15:34 »
Heard somewhere that there were 40,000 set of drawings for the Type XXI :o :o

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #973 on: 05 Jan , 2013, 15:39 »
Simon.
I guess now you have an idea why the left out the valvewheels and have rod extensions to the floorplates.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #974 on: 05 Jan , 2013, 15:42 »
Heard somewhere that there were 40,000 set of drawings for the Type XXI :o :o
It could very well be, but I believe complicated pipe models were used as well.
Tore
« Last Edit: 05 Jan , 2013, 15:45 by tore »