Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576577 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #930 on: 29 Dec , 2012, 07:04 »
Simon.
Secondary luboil system.
Next step is the secondary luboil system as indicated on the sketch below. From the luboilpump pressure side oil passes a discharge checkvalve "b" to the cooler. The cooler has a ventpipe with a valve " l" for venting, the pipe is connected to the drain ( yellow). After the cooler is a selector cock "c1" enabling a crossover connection to stb/port engine. Further before the pressure reductionvalve 3>1,5 kg/cm2 is a branch off to the governor servomotor for the fuelrack, the servo motor needs higher pressure than the enginelubrication, after the servomotor to drain as previously discussed.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #931 on: 29 Dec , 2012, 08:01 »
Simon.
Emergency luboil system.
In case of a failure on the attached engine luboil pumps it is possible to use the fuel transferpump as emergency lub oilpump as indicated on the sketch below. Suctionpipes are coloured blue. Suction is taken separately either from port or stb systemtank via an OPZ valve ( 3position valve) in the tank as previously discussed. The centrifugal fuel transferpump,  deliver   red, to the valvechest and then to the engine pump pressureline. The checkvalve stops the entrance to the enginepump and the emergency pump delivers to the luboilcooler and then the standard system.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #932 on: 29 Dec , 2012, 10:36 »
Simon.
It looks OK to me. When you fit the charging air receiver  below the exhaust receiver you probably don`t see much of it, but it is there.
Tore

Tore, you are right, you will not see must of the pipe, but it there ;D

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #933 on: 29 Dec , 2012, 10:37 »
Roots blower.
Below is a sketch showing the working of the blower. On the end you have a geardrive accurately timed so the rotors don`t touch. This gearbox needs the luboil supply.
On the photo you see a modern version beltdriven. Even today they have the external oil supply pipes.
Tore

Thanks for this information! I have always wonder how this worked and looked :) :)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #934 on: 29 Dec , 2012, 10:43 »
Simon.
Lub oil handpump system.
The final "layer" would be the hand pumpsystem. The hand pump at stb side towards the batteryswitch bulkhead takes suction from valve "k" at the valvechest and via the blue pipe and valve "g"  Pressure pipe , red, via cock "h" to the daily luboil consumption tank ( for filling handcarried oilcans) situated at the same bulkhead, further to the valve chest and into the cooler and engine luboil system.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #935 on: 31 Dec , 2012, 21:05 »
Engine Lubricating Oil System continue to grow

Piping between the Engine lubricating oil manifold and the Auxiliary Lubricating Oil Pump

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #936 on: 01 Jan , 2013, 07:19 »
Simon.
Your are coming along nicely with the luboilsystem. I am not sure about the smaller pipeline with a valve touching  the pressurehull bilge. See my markings below.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #937 on: 01 Jan , 2013, 11:12 »
What smaller pipe is a older version and will be update soon. I just need to workout what the valve look like first.

Also next to the Auxiliary Lubricating Oil Pump, are two lines named "FO Transfer Line", where do these go, I can not found where they go?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #938 on: 01 Jan , 2013, 12:22 »
What smaller pipe is a older version and will be update soon. I just need to workout what the valve look like first.

Also next to the Auxiliary Lubricating Oil Pump, are two lines named "FO Transfer Line", where do these go, I can not found where they go?
Simon-
The pump is primarily a fueloil transfer pump, which is used as an emergency luboil pump . Below is the connections to the relevant valvechest. As you see it is even used for pumping fuel from shore to the fueloil bunkertanks.
Tore.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #939 on: 01 Jan , 2013, 13:35 »
Tore, this section of pipe is mark as 'high pressure' :o should it not be mark as 'low pressure'?

http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate14.htm

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #940 on: 01 Jan , 2013, 13:55 »
Hi Tore

When you have time could you please check my pipes, thanks.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #941 on: 01 Jan , 2013, 14:44 »
Tore, this section of pipe is mark as 'high pressure' :o should it not be mark as 'low pressure'?

http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate14.htm
Simon
Absolutely!
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #942 on: 02 Jan , 2013, 07:59 »
Simon.
Valvechests.
May be an explanation of a valvechest makes a difficult system easier to understand. As seen below the valvechest has 5 chambers, two suction, drain    ( blue) and pressure, discharge (red) and three distribution chambers. There are two connections to the suctionchamber and two connections to the dischargechamber. By the use of 6 valves in the chest you are able to connect the various pipelines either to suction(drain) or pressure ( discharge) chambers.
Below I have tried to visualize how the system works leaving out the fuelsystem to simplify.
Tore 

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #943 on: 02 Jan , 2013, 08:18 »
Simon.
The blue and yellow colours were not very readable so I have overwritten the text below.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #944 on: 02 Jan , 2013, 11:13 »
Simon.
I believe the valvechest for filling the luboil storage tanks is placed just underneath the main luboil valvechest as shown on the photo below.
Tore