Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576246 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #645 on: 14 Nov , 2012, 09:54 »
Tore,
Electronics in the control room. I`m a bit out of my field right now, but I believe the electronic stack next to the navigation table contains mainly the S- geraet (Sondergeraet fuer Aktive Schallortung ) active Sonar and KBD (Kristall Drehbasisgeraet) passive turnable crystal hydrophones which is passive Sonar. The equipment was indeed very much used by us as originally installed. Later however I  believe they installed the  Balcon Geraet which probably would required another electronic stack.

It's interesting. So on board of KNM Kaura were installed both S-Ger

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #646 on: 14 Nov , 2012, 11:23 »
Tore
As I said in the beginning this is a bit out of my field so you have to take the info with a pinch of salt. I thought we had both but for sure we had KBD. The balkongeraet was installed after my time so after 1956. I am a posting a picture of KNM Kauras bow and showing how the relevant area looked like in my time.
Thanks for your answer. On the photo you have posted, I think I can see the sender/receiver panel of S-Ger

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #647 on: 14 Nov , 2012, 11:35 »

Maciek.
As I said in the beginning this is a bit out of my field so you have to take the info with a pinch of salt. I thought we had both but for sure we had KBD. The balkongeraet was installed after my time so after 1956. I am a posting a picture of KNM Kauras bow and showing how the relevant area looked like in my time.

Hi Tore

Over the last year I have completely change my mind about the balkongeraet on U-995/KNM Kauras. I believe you are right and that U-995 never had that pictured balkongeraet, there now more and more evidence to support this. I have been collection a little information on this and I want to write this up after Christmas.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #648 on: 14 Nov , 2012, 11:51 »
Hi Tore

In the drawing below you can see a smaller circle within the exhaust piping, do you think is could be the pipe for the cooling water?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #649 on: 14 Nov , 2012, 12:08 »
Simon I doubt this is the flange for the coolingwater it is too large and I presume we see the stb engine towards aft at the manifoldflange which is towards the exhaust manifold outlet end. I`ll see if can figure out what it could be.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #650 on: 14 Nov , 2012, 12:22 »
Simon I doubt this is the flange for the coolingwater it is too large and I presume we see the stb engine towards aft at the manifoldflange which is towards the exhaust manifold outlet end. I`ll see if can figure out what it could be.
Tore

Tore, I was more thinking about the smaller circle being the cooling water pipe that run inside the exhaust pipe.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #651 on: 14 Nov , 2012, 12:58 »
Simon.
I believe the cooling waterbends passes the flanges as shown on the drawings  below.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #652 on: 14 Nov , 2012, 13:11 »
Simon, as you see the casting of the exhaustmanifold is in such a way that the same pieces can be used for both stb and port engine, leaving a coolingwater flange at the fwd end. On the photo of the fwd end you see a pipe connected to this flange which I presume is a drain may be to the suction of the cooling waterpump.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #653 on: 14 Nov , 2012, 14:13 »
Tore, I am trying to work out where the cooling water goes. Does the used cooling water exit the pressure hull via the exhaust coupling and then vents somewhere under the deck?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #654 on: 14 Nov , 2012, 14:20 »
Hopefully this picture below makes it a bit clearer.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #655 on: 14 Nov , 2012, 14:49 »
Simon. The seacooling water diagram explain pretty much how it is done. Same principle as before , at every flange a cooling waterbend leads the water to the next coolingwater space. Where the main exhaust pipe passes the pressurehull you have the main exhaustvalve ( with the grinder) the whole valve casing with coolingspace enter through the hull. You have a pretty good picture of the section at U Historia.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #656 on: 14 Nov , 2012, 15:12 »
Simon.
Outboard coolingwater.
As can be seen from the below sketch the coolingwater enters the silencer outside the pressure hull and from there to the coolingwater headertank in the tower.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #657 on: 14 Nov , 2012, 15:16 »
Thanks Tore for the help. I had to check the alignment of my drawing. For example I just can not add my engine drawing to my U-boat drawing as I have to make sure that pipes align correctly, bolts holes match and under decking pipes align correctly to above deck.

Below in the two drawings you can see I had to align correctly the engine frame bolts hole and the cooling water piping

Fig. 1. U-Boat framing.

Fig. 2. U-Boat Engine.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #658 on: 14 Nov , 2012, 15:25 »
PS. Another example of alignments, in the drawings above is the open pipe flange for the Engine lubricating oil system. This pipe is currently out of alignment by about 30 mm at 1:1 scale so the two flanges will not match. You will never see is in the drawing as it under the engine but is hated to see oil leaking out of U-1308 ;)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #659 on: 15 Nov , 2012, 00:40 »
Simon.
Very interesting to see how it is done, it`s a big jigsawpuzzle. Seeing you drawing I assume the black rectangle toward the pressurehull is the airduct from the main engineroom airintake valve. To me it looks as if it is one frame too far forward, see my drawing below. The reason for such a duct was that in bad weather seawater filled the airduct via the main intakevalve in the towercasing and water gushed into the engineroom, you didn`t want that water into the ventilation system so it was lead down into the bilge.
Tore