Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576522 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #555 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 03:05 »
Simon.
Further to my  above post, below is a picture of the actual connections on the valvecage.
Simon
Unfortunately the inlet and outlet of the cooling waterpipes for the exhaust valvecage have been mixed up, below is the correct system, always the temp. reading on the outlet
Tore
« Last Edit: 02 Nov , 2012, 03:08 by tore »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #556 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 07:02 »
Tore -
I have said it before and I shall undoubtedly say it again... Thank you for providing us with so much intimate knowledge of the KNM Kaura/U-995. She deserves to be remembered, and your understanding of her and willingness to help us is outstanding. This Marine very much appreciates your efforts and hope you are having as much fun with this as we are!
Christopher.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #557 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 07:48 »
Christopher
Good to have you back, I assure you I`m having a great fun , it is almost like living my younger days once more. To some of you it might looks a bit crazy to go into tiny details like lockingnuts and wires, but if you have the overall picture correct, tiny details like this adds spices to the dish and I convinced with Simons drawingskills he ends up with an unsurpassed piece of documentation about the VIIC, an icon from WW2 which still obviously fascinates a lot of people. I love to participate and can`t wait to see the result.
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #558 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 12:37 »
Tore -
Thank you for the welcome back. In the Northern Hemisphere summers I am rarely indoors, so I have been away from this forum, but I come back. You folks are just too great to leave!
My compliments, of course to Simon and his drawing skills... He has done incredible work and I admire his tenacity and observational skills. As you know, I am working on drawings of a similar nature, but from a different standpoint (and with a different style) for the Bugraum, intending to put as much detail as possible in it. I am working towards the goal of perfecting my drawings and aiming towards making parts for cut-away models like I am prototyping. Hopefully other people can have as much fun as I am with my cut-away project.
Christopher

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #559 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 12:45 »
Tore, I was wondering, would some of the very small pipes, would they be copper?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #560 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 13:12 »
Simon, copper would be the natural material for the pipes however in last part of WW2 copper was hard to get in Germany and it could be they were forced to change to steel on the U boots built after  last part of 1943 and onwards. I really can`t remember but if you look on f.i.  the lubricatorpipes shown on the photos of U 995 ( launched July 22. 1943) it certainly is copper, so I would say copper depending on what model you go for.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #561 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 13:27 »
Tore -
Thank you for the welcome back. In the Northern Hemisphere summers I am rarely indoors, so I have been away from this forum, but I come back. You folks are just too great to leave!
My compliments, of course to Simon and his drawing skills... He has done incredible work and I admire his tenacity and observational skills. As you know, I am working on drawings of a similar nature, but from a different standpoint (and with a different style) for the Bugraum, intending to put as much detail as possible in it. I am working towards the goal of perfecting my drawings and aiming towards making parts for cut-away models like I am prototyping. Hopefully other people can have as much fun as I am with my cut-away project.
Christopher
I am happy to hear you shall continue you unbelievable work and looking forward to seeing the progress Christopher. I`m now back to the civilisation e.g. proper broadband after my annual 6 months summerstay at my farm in the wilderness of the deep forests. So Christopher shoot your questions I love to answer if I can within my capacity.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #562 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 13:31 »
Simon, copper would be the natural material for the pipes however in last part of WW2 copper was hard to get in Germany and it could be they were forced to change to steel on the U boots built after  last part of 1943 and onwards. I really can`t remember but if you look on f.i.  the lubricatorpipes shown on the photos of U 995 ( launched July 22. 1943) it certainly is copper, so I would say copper depending on what model you go for.
Tore

Thanks, as my drawing of a late war Type VIIC/41 I will go steel.

Also, I am total loss on the (fuel system ?? - Not sure if it the right name). I have no photo's or drawings of this systems of piping or things between the two rocker arms. I have no idea what to draw :( :( Any help will be very useful.

By the way it just started snowing again  :o

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #563 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 14:58 »
Tore

Also, I am total loss on the (fuel system ?? - Not sure if it the right name). I have no photo's or drawings of this systems of piping or things between the two rocker arms. I have no idea what to draw :( :( Any help will be very useful.

Tore

Simon, the encircled area on your photo is the startingvalve system. On the picture below I have indicated the relevant parts. The black pipe is fuelsuctionpipe to the supplypump up front of the engine and the indicated HP fuelpipe is the pipe from the HP fuelpump to the fuelinjector in the cylindercover. Ignore these pipes for the time being and consentrate on the startingpipes/valves. The main startingair supplypipe goes all the way from maneuvringstand along the engine and is almost hidden by the black fuelpipe but you see clearly the connectionflanges on each startingvalve. The smaller pipe on top of the airsupplypipe is the startingvalve controlair and run along the engine as well with a branch off to each startingvalve top. When the main airvalve up front is opened, air is entering the startingair supplyline and when the starting handle is put to start, air is admitted to the top of the startingvalve, force a piston down and the starting valverod gets in contact with the camshaft controlling the lifting of the rod and hence opening of the relevant startingvalve. The engine starts running on air and fuel is admitted and engine is running on fuel. Then the handle is put on run position the top chamber of the startingvalve is vented and a spring push the piston and valve rodarm up, the rod goes down and releases the rod roller from the cams and the startvalve is disengaged.
Tore 
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:56 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #564 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 16:17 »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #565 on: 03 Nov , 2012, 02:11 »
Simon, your fuelrack drawing is impressive. I have linked it up to the isometric sketch showing details of levers at both end. The parts inside the yellow lines are in the camshaftcasing and not visible, up front are the levers partly visible under the lubricator. I`m not sure how much you want to incorporate in you drawing though.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:57 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #566 on: 03 Nov , 2012, 02:51 »
Simon, may be the above picture can be a bit confusing as the photo is showing the fwd linkage. I`ll rectify that with the below picture.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:58 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #567 on: 03 Nov , 2012, 08:09 »
Simon.
I am not sure if your two overhead drawings of the fuelpump/fuelrack is representing port and starboard engine. In case it is, starboard engine pumps are different connected, they are turned 180 degrees  This results that the movement of the fuelrack linkage is opposite that of port engine resulting a different endconnection to the servomotor and fuelhandle. I have indicated below what I try to explain.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:58 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #568 on: 03 Nov , 2012, 12:50 »
Simon.
I am not sure if your two overhead drawings of the fuelpump/fuelrack is representing port and starboard engine. In case it is, starboard engine pumps are different connected, they are turned 180 degrees  This results that the movement of the fuelrack linkage is opposite that of port engine resulting a different endconnection to the servomotor and fuelhandle. I have indicated below what I try to explain.
Tore

Hi Tore

That was a little trickily!! It took me a little bit of time to work that out. It was not a simple 180 ;)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #569 on: 03 Nov , 2012, 14:20 »
Yes Simon, but now comes the difficult bit. The stb servomotor is, I presume,  just kept the same as the port ( not turned), but placed on a mirror engine ( stb) of port engine.The rod for the governor comes up in the same position on mirror execution which mean the rod has to be fitted with a linkage to compensate for a displacement. In addition it should move the fuelrack in the opposite direction which means you have to introduce an extra "rockerarm" to reverse the movement. This is starting to be complicated to explain and I have no picture to show. I suggest you look at the Kubische Panorama to see the difference between port and stb and may be you have other pictures of the detail.
Tore