Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576699 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #435 on: 18 Jul , 2012, 11:42 »
May be somebody take interest in seeing my picture of a surfaced dummytorpedo vertically in the sea and the vessel "fishing" the torpedo. I believe I have published one of the photos before.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:44 by tore »

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #436 on: 28 Jul , 2012, 13:58 »
Would you debone that type of fish before cooking or would it be better to leave the skin on to keep it more tender?

Sorry, I had too, I thought I was quite funny.....LOL!!!

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #437 on: 28 Jul , 2012, 15:12 »
 Hi Wildspear
What a question! The answer is: the fish on the picture is dead and is safe to be deboned. I would not generalize though, live fish in the same family has a tendency to make the surroundings tender if deboned or skinned. My advice would be if you are not an expert on this kind of fish and get it hooked, do not skin or debone, leave it as it is for your own health sake.
Tore
« Last Edit: 29 Jul , 2012, 03:51 by tore »

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #438 on: 03 Aug , 2012, 09:49 »
lol

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #439 on: 03 Aug , 2012, 10:05 »
In the submarineslang we used very often fish for torpedo. When the torpedo was launched, the wording was:" fish in the water". Torpedoes are expensive hence an exstensive effort was done to recover same after excercises. Torpedofishing was the rigth word for it.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #440 on: 08 Aug , 2012, 05:10 »
Hi Guys

Tore, I have one more question about Junkers compressor. Was it possible to run Junkers compressor while snorting?
Was the increased back-pressure of exhaust gases problem for the diesel compressor?
I know, that Junkers compressor exhaust manifold had its own hull valve in aft torpedo room,
but has it (outside the pressure hull) its own muffler/silencer or was it connected to main diesel engines exhaust silencers?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #441 on: 08 Aug , 2012, 23:26 »
Hi Maciek
We never operated the Junkers while snorting, we used only the E-compressor. As the Junker worked on a two stroke cycle, the scavenging was sensitive to exhaustbackpressure. As to the external arrangement for the silencer, I cannot remember for sure, but I would believe it was separate. I`ll  check a bit more and see if I can figure out more on the subject.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #442 on: 15 Aug , 2012, 05:22 »
Hi Tore
We never operated the Junkers while snorting, we used only the E-compressor. As the Junker worked on a two stroke cycle, the scavenging was sensitive to exhaustbackpressure. As to the external arrangement for the silencer, I cannot remember for sure, but I would believe it was separate.
Thank you for very interisting informations.

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #443 on: 24 Aug , 2012, 08:33 »
Hi Gents

According to the upperdeck stowage, I'm attaching the part of the
"Tauchvorschrift f

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #444 on: 24 Aug , 2012, 11:15 »
Maciek
Indeed an interesting document.  Very comprehensive and shows the german thoroughness. I have just scanned it, we had a fairly simplyfied version, but the idea was the same. An important part of giving orders and confirmation is using standarised word for the various items and condition. It is interesting to notice that the translator is using the word "closed" emphasizing not to used the word "shut". In my time in the british RN submarine service it was the opposite, "closed" was never used, shut was the word for it. I also notice that the translators use the word "floodvalves" translated directly from german "Flutklappen". In the RN submarineenglish these valves are called Kingstons.
I am looking forward to study the document further.
Tore 

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #445 on: 14 Sep , 2012, 12:58 »
Hi

Tore, I have got a question about electric motors. On the following photos, in the upper part of motors, there is visible a shaft, perpendicular to the main shafts (red for backboard, green for starboard motor).

Do you remember what is it for?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #446 on: 15 Sep , 2012, 00:32 »
Maciek.
 I can not remember for 100% but here is my guess.  There are two adjusting shafts on each main motor/generator. They are situated just above the stators and I think your may see a greasecup on the shaft casing, this, I believe, is wormwheel drive connected to the shaft. By putting a handle or wheel on the shaft you are able to turn it thereby the stators and adjusting the magnetic field of the motors/generators, I don`t think we did this often.. Simon has a wonderful drawing where he has shown the system, I take the liberty to show his picture to explain what I mean.
Tore
« Last Edit: 15 Sep , 2012, 04:23 by tore »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #447 on: 27 Sep , 2012, 13:40 »
Hi Tore
I can not remember for 100% but here is my guess.  There are two adjusting shafts on each main motor/generator. They are situated just above the stators and I think your may see a greasecup on the shaft casing, this, I believe, is wormwheel drive connected to the shaft. By putting a handle or wheel on the shaft you are able to turn it thereby the stators and adjusting the magnetic field of the motors/generators

That would be it! Accidentaly, in book "Die Sonar Anlagen der deutschen U Boote" by Eberhard R

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #448 on: 27 Sep , 2012, 14:30 »
Maciek
Excellent! As I said I cannot remember we used it. We had more problems with the propellernoise as the propellors on the later VIICs were made of cast steel. They were susceptible to cavitationpittings which again produced noise. The resilient mountings for the various auxilliaries were checked during annual noisetrials and if some component failed we had to fix it.
Tore
« Last Edit: 27 Sep , 2012, 14:32 by tore »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #449 on: 28 Sep , 2012, 04:28 »
Thanks Tore.

I have got another question. When you were snorting, it was common practice to propelling boat
with one shaft or two? And while running on E-motors? It would be better to drive with one shaft
or two (I'm referring to low speeds)?

--
Thanks
Maciek